WTF is wrong with Wasteland 2 price tag? [Warning: Rage and hate]

I bought paid for the $50 tier because I wanted the physical version. Would be nice if they did a Beta Test upgrade for it.

I bought paid for the $50 tier because I wanted the physical version. Would be nice if they did a Beta Test upgrade for it.

Yeah I only have access to the beta because I wanted the Collectors Edition Premium Version, I should have gifted my digital copy away as I don't plan on playing this until it's completed.

They had a beta test add-on, but they removed all add-ons from their store a couple of weeks before the beta started.
You can't say they didn't warn you: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/685172
We did want to let you all know that when the beta launches we will be pulling the add-on options from the Wasteland 2 store. If you want to add any of those to your existing pledge – or if you want to be able to jump in on the beta at its launch – this week will be your last chance to do so!

With all late backer donations, we manually import pledge data roughly every 2-3 weeks, but we will ensure the database is up to date when the beta launches. The digital-only pre-order options will remain available though we may pull them too in the not too distant future, somewhere in time and space. Existing backers will still be able to upgrade, so as a backer you’ll still be able to move into a higher tier and get access to the beta later, it just won’t be available as an add-on.

I should probably check my e-mail more often. That said, though...

"Existing backers will still be able to upgrade, so as a backer you'll still be able to move into a higher tier and get access to the beta later, it just won't be available as an add-on."

This... this sounds like they're saying we should be able to do a thing that we clearly cannot do. Unless that means that they're going to be re-adding beta access as an upgrade, which is somehow different from an add-on. And despite the beta already being live. Maybe? No comprendo.

They mean that if you're on a tier with no beta access - i.e. $50 or lower - you can upgrade to higher tiers that come with beta access like $55 or $75. Which is still entirely possible to do through the backer store, as far as I can tell.

Maybe they changed that in the last few days. The last couple times I swung through to check the only two "upgrades" available to me were the $50 tier I was already on and a step down to the $30 level.

Edit: I see it now. Hrm. Looks like that $55 upgrade to the all-digital tier would get a big-box buyer like myself beta access, but at the cost of the actual big box and all the other physical goodies. Shame, that. I think I'll forgo early access for my box of shinies. Serves mooks like me right for not reading the backer updates more often, I suppose.

Cuz itz free DUH

I suspect this is sarcasm, but just in case, AFAIK Unity Engine is not free if your company has a bigger income than U$S100000. inXile had more than a million just from the Kickstarter.
I guess it does reduce costs for them, though, as paying a license for an engine is usually cheaper than developing a new one (at least, for the same feature set).

As far as I know, the Unity Pro version sets you back $1500, which is basically nothing. But I was being sarcastic, of course. Although the "cheap" engine seems to be the reason for the "Unity Engine games have to be cheap" argument.

Well.

:hatersgonnahate:

But they should've made an alternative price for people that just want access to the beta and don't have that much budget right now.
Why would anyone only want the Beta?

I was very excited for Wasteland 2 launch because, like everyone else here, I'm a big fan of the Fallout classics. I really was so very expectant of it that I was willing to - for the first time in my life - pay full launch price for a video game. However, today I saw Wasteland 2 was finally available for preorder on Steam and the moment I looked at the price tag all my hype died on the spot... Full motherfucking retail price... 60 United States Dollars... Do you guys have any idea of how that translates to my regional price? It's a 100 Reais, a sixth of the national minimum monthly wage!

...and? In Italy it's a twelfth of the average monthly wage.

They didn't spend on the game 0.01% of what Rockstar spent on GTA 5 or even what Ubisoft spent on Assassins Creed 4 and they are trying to sell it for the same price! This isn't just offensive, it's downright traitorous. With this prohibitive pricing they are pretty much saying they don't want me to buy their game.

What a stupid argument. Value of a game is tied to its budget now? Ports of arcade games like Street Fighter already made their money back in the arcades, should they cost half the price?

What a stupid argument. Value of a game is tied to its budget now? Ports of arcade games like Street Fighter already made their money back in the arcades, should they cost half the price?

Well, it depends. As an "it must be cheaper" argument, yeah, it has no validity, but as an "it COULD be cheaper", it makes sense.

As far as I know, the Unity Pro version sets you back $1500, which is basically nothing. But I was being sarcastic, of course. Although the "cheap" engine seems to be the reason for the "Unity Engine games have to be cheap" argument.

Well.

:hatersgonnahate:

I agree. A game is not priced by the engine costs alone, and also, if it is a really good game (not what they sell as AAA by this days), it might worth it. Sadly, if the final price is of that order of magnitude, it's out of my budget :(

As said before, the current price is pre-order/early access. It would have been mighty unfair to the backers if the early-access would have been cheaper than the first tier with beta-access.
I guess the final price will be ~20-30$.

People that don't want to pay 60 dollars for a unity engine game?

I don't get it, why would they want to play the Beta? If you don't want to pay 60 dollars for this unity engine game, wait until it's freakin' finished.

I don't get it, why would they want to play the Beta? If you don't want to pay 60 dollars for this unity engine game, wait until it's freakin' finished.

To help with the beta testing process? Also if they had a lower tier for just the beta it would be a much better move for InXile, more people would pay for it.

Are you sure there is a sufficient amount of people who would be willing to pay for beta-testing without getting the final product?

The whining plebs are annoying the fuck out of me. If it's too expensive then wait for the release. What's so hard to understand in this? KS backers had to pay 55$ to get the beta access, and now non-KS backers should get it for less? Why? The "you will make more money with a lower price!" argument is stupid too. But while we are at it, here I have another stupid money argument: You probably make more short-term money, but as soon as all interested people will have the game, your long-term money can be reduced.

I really was so very expectant of it that I was willing to - for the first time in my life - pay full launch price for a video game.

Hey, guess what? You can still do this, because the full game didn't had its launch yet! Surprise, surprise.

Last edited:
Back