Zero Punctuations review

Discussion in 'Fallout: New Vegas Discussion' started by SomeBritishDude, Nov 10, 2010.

1. SomeBritishDude

SomeBritishDude First time out of the vault

Feb 21, 2010
    One of the few game reviewers on the interenet who's worth a damn (even if the majority of the time it's only for shit's and giggles) has finally brought out his review of New Vegas. Well, less of a review more of a diary of the first few days in the Majave Wasteland in Hardcore mode.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2435-Fallout-New-Vegas

The guy's starting to suffer from the same fate as the Simpsons but it's still worth 5 minutes of your time.

2. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    It was OK, other stuff I've seen from him is a lot worse. Still, I find ZP completely un-amusing.

3. Korin

Korin So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Admin

Aug 6, 2010
    I had a good laugh about the diary of events

4. Nalano

Nalano Still Mildly Glowing

Jan 20, 2009
    He prints stuff on time, he has a creative style, and his reviews are normally incisive - or at least, you feel his views are sincere.

That's high praise for a games reviewer.

5. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    Sometimes he makes me smile, and sometimes he doesn't.

I got more the feeling he didn't really take notice of the skill system and the conversations.

6. Forbidden

Forbidden First time out of the vault

Nov 7, 2010
  7. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    That was a genuinely interesting review. It's always fun to hear how players go about doing things, and Yahtzee's story surprised me a little as far as how he handled certain situations. Not a conventional review, but if you want to sell the game based on the sorts of experiences it will give players, I think he did a pretty good job.

8. Anarchosyn

Anarchosyn Still Mildly Glowing

Sep 26, 2008
    I love the guy. I find him both humorous and insightful -- though I'm sure our play styles are very different when it comes to RPGs.

I had to cue up his Fallout 3 review to measure how familiar he seemed with the originals (read: not at all, I'm afraid). His perspective is definitely more in line with a younger generation on this specific line of games. Still, it's nice to see a reviewer I trust not frothing at the mouth at Bethesda's tropes or their inability to live up to our perceived elements of greatness in other developers (though it will be interesting to see his Thief 4 review -- he's quite the Looking Glass fanboy).

9. Stanislao Moulinsky

Stanislao Moulinsky Vault Fossil

Jul 16, 2009
    I find his style very funny, but as an actual reviewer is, most of the time, too superficial and subjective. 5 minutes always well spent, anyway.

10. SomeBritishDude

SomeBritishDude First time out of the vault

Feb 21, 2010
    For me Yahtzee is one of the few game reviewers I can trust to give me their own honest opinion of a game, if nothing else. And at least 90% of the time I agree with many of his points even if I have a very different view of the game as a whole.

He's easily my favourite game reviewer, and not just from a comedy stand point. Maybe that's more a comment on the state of video game journalism rather than his own skills as a critic.

11. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    It was okay for one of his reviews, might have helped if it was longer than his usual 5 minutes so he could discuss some of the changes and do the diary thing.

12. Quaid

Quaid Give dese people air!!

May 10, 2005
    I liked it from the comedy standpoint. And the 'flies' comment was spot on! All I could think of are the Bloat Flies from Fallout 3 and how much easier they went down.

13. Stanislao Moulinsky

Stanislao Moulinsky Vault Fossil

Jul 16, 2009
    He makes often good points but I can't completely take his reviews as actual reviews. I take them as "huomorous lists of flaws that most sites and magazines strangely forget to mention". :lol:

14. UnidentifiedFlyingTard

UnidentifiedFlyingTard Vault Fossil

Mar 12, 2009
    I liked his Alpha Protocol review more.

15. gumbarrel

gumbarrel It Wandered In From the Wastes

Oct 18, 2010
    His stuff got old after the first year honestly, but it's just 5 minutes per week, so why not.

16. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Yahtzee is not a game reviewer.

17. Nalano

Nalano Still Mildly Glowing

Jan 20, 2009
    Fine, he's a "game anecdoter."

And pretty much every other columnist is a "games company shill."

Better?

18. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    As you wish. I spend dozens of hours on games and then write multi-paged reviews, trying as well as I can to carefully consider both the good and the bad. Yahtzee takes the bad and exploits it for comedic value, because that's his job, and he does it well. Apparently his intentionally one-sided takes are more reliable and should be taken more seriously that reviews that actually try to give a full overview?

*shrugs*

As you wish.

19. Ausir

Ausir Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 20, 2003
    Sad thing is that his intentionally one-sided takes are often more reliable than "professional" reviews from mainstream gaming media.

20. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    It's worth pointing out the bad in things, because it's the bad that tends to make stuff interesting. If a game did everything well, there'd be no review except for "it's great, go buy it". Unless Yahtzee actually outright says "this game is terrible", I take his comments more as an attempt to highlight the bad; everything he doesn't mention, you can typically assume is going to be pretty competent.