25 best Fallout New Vegas mods

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Brother None, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

PC Gamer provides a top 25 New Vegas mods list.<blockquote>1. Centred third person camera
    Why did Bethesda give us the weird over-the-shoulder cam in Fallout 3? Why didn’t Obsidian get rid of it for New Vegas? We may never know. Probably because they imagined players actually trying to take aim and fire in third person mode, which is insane. Third person is for screenshots and lightsaber fights – we’ve known that since Jedi Knight 2! Fortunately, every time a developer does this, one of the lovely modder people undoes it.

This mod also lets you zoom all the way out. How far? All of the far, that’s how far.

14. Lethal headshots
    Another fantastic mod, this makes headshots deadly. “Headshot” is the medical term for the condition where a bullet breaks open your skull and rattles through your brains, scrambling your grey matter and rocketing out of the other side. So yeah, that should really kill you.

That’s what this mod does, while preserving the shakey-aim of lower Guns skill and thus maintaining game balance. Wear a helmet, people! It also decreases your chance of scoring a headshot in VATS, which is a welcome balance tweak, and the damage buff doesn’t apply to all creatures – Deathclaws are made of sterner stuff, and robots don’t always have brains where you’d expect them to.

I’d also like to give a special mention to the commenter on the Fallout: New Vegas Nexus who suggested that this mod should cause the game to end after the first cinematic (where you get shot in the face).

15. No RPG bullet bending
    This has the same goals as the above mod – make the guns work more realistically – but it goes about it in a totally different way. Rather than touch the damage that guns do, this mod makes them super accurate. It’s not for me, personally – I found that with a Guns skill of 20 I could kill anyone from an enormous distance just by waiting for my shot and killing them with a sneak bonus. If you’re not a fan of RPG elements, though, this can help turn Fallout: New Vegas into a pure FPS.</blockquote>

2. Lexx

Lexx Lived Through the Heat Death

So, a cheat mod, eh?

This "improved" Perks mod sounds bullshit too.

3. Dead Guy

Dead Guy Boardcop oTO Orderite

Wouldn't it be better (as in more realistic) the other way around? Low skill, bad accuracy, but a bullet that hits will always cause the same amount of damage. Old debate, I guess... I personally never liked the idea of skill affecting damage at all.

What I mean is not necessarily bullet bending, perhaps have skill be inversely proportional to how much your crosshair moves around by itself.

4. Stanislao Moulinsky

Stanislao Moulinsky Vault Fossil

Some examples would have been nice...

Some of those mods seem nice, others are pointless or...stupid? Number 10 adds more grass. What? It's a desert after all. Number 11 adds a shack for the player in Goodsprings. Again, what? It's so hard to wait till Novac?

Also...

:wall:

5. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Gettind rid of the auto aim, or bullet bending, was actually quite important in Fallout 3 if you wanted to snipe properly. With the auto aiming somtimes you would head shoot the wrong person because the bullet would home into whoever was closest of two people near each other.

I quite like the head shot mods, they do work against you as well though only a few enemies bother aiming at your noggin.

6. Gaddes

Gaddes Look, Ma! Two Heads!

:facepalm:

Didn't any of Bethsofts fan pay attention when Obsidian said the game would have a set ending for months?

7. mobucks

mobucks moobs

That was worth the read.

8. Khan FurSainty

Khan FurSainty Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Again with the set ending? Is it that hard to let the player just do whatever after he beats the game?

Also, didn't Bethesda too talk about a set ending for Fallout 3?

9. Burrich

Burrich meme me up scotty

They did? I thought that was in the Broken Steel DLC only.

10. generalissimofurioso

generalissimofurioso The Hole Time Orderite

Well, it was broken and thus they made us pay to fix it.

That's like a patch, sort of.

11. Guiltyofbeingtrite

Guiltyofbeingtrite Vault Dweller

fallout had a definite ending!

12. Khan FurSainty

Khan FurSainty Look, Ma! Two Heads!

But Fallout 2 didn't. It's not breaking for a game to let you continue after the end.

13. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

No, but it's kind of boring and pointless. And FO2 after endgame made no sense.

14. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

It made less than no sense. It was a goddamn mess.

15. generalissimofurioso

generalissimofurioso The Hole Time Orderite

There was only like two places that reflected any change.

The only one I can recall was New Reno and getting that strategy guide item.

16. Vrede

Vrede It Wandered In From the Wastes

Was it?
    I kept playing til it ran out of calendar after 13 years.... several times.

17. Relentless666

Relentless666 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Wait, thats just cheating!

18. Anarchosyn

Anarchosyn Still Mildly Glowing

It seems more rewarding to just replay the game with a different build. With a level cap and an ending I presume changes the dynamics of the land (or at least gives a solid epilogue, I hope) playing after the ending would be silly.

Either way, It's not like you're railroaded into the ending at a predetermined in-game calendar date. Limitations are how character is developed.

19. gumbarrel

gumbarrel It Wandered In From the Wastes

Is it that hard to just not start the final quest if you want to do all of the side missions and whatnot?

20. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Carbon Dated and Proud

Like others said before, there is no point in playing on after you have finished the final quest.

In general the quests are designed that you hear of their impact or conclusion after you have completed one of the four endings.

And what else would people want to do?
    Wander around without a purpose? Collect various stuff?

Don't be deluded by the pretend role playing some of the Bethesda die hards are suggesting, there is no point to them, playing dress up and pretending you are a member of a certain faction or organization.

Unless Obsidian would have plans for an incredible big expansion which follows up on any of the endings of the game I see no point in a DLC afterwards.

[spoiler:c210f22f34]In one ending the NCR takes over the Mojave wasteland, in another the Caesar's Legion, the third Mr House, and the last you are somewhat the ruler of New Vegas and Hoover Dam. There is little room for various quests as either one of the four 'powers' is now in charge with little room for anyone else.[/spoiler:c210f22f34]

The only expansion I could think of would be transporting you somewhere else suddenly after the game but that is way to big for a DLC.