(Bethesda) history is written by the victors

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Ausir, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Ausir

Ausir Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 20, 2003
    Bethesda community manager Gstaff rewriting Bethesda history in Wikipedia.

This bit added by Chris Weaver to the ZeniMax article was also recently removed:

2. Kilus

Kilus Not Australian Orderite

May 3, 2003
    One of the things wikipedia does well is revert shameless self promoting from companies. It's sad that they try and even sadder that they always fail. And this is why it was good The Vault stayed independent from Bethesda.

3. Ausir

Apr 20, 2003
    Well, here it's actually Bethesda people removing info from the articles in order to marginalize the role of Bethesda founder, Chris Weaver, who was forced out of the company by its current management. Weaver's edits were reverted, Gstaff's weren't. E.g. che changed "Bethesda was acquired by Zenimax Media, Inc., co-founded by Weaver, in 1999." to "Bethesda was acquired by ZeniMax Media Inc., founded by Robert Altman, in 1999."

4. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    Perhaps the true story should be posted here.

Shameless idealized self promotion should be left to communists and dictators.

5. UncannyGarlic

UncannyGarlic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 6, 2008
    ...Or you could edit the article and fix it. That's the whole point of wikipedia after all...

6. Ausir

Apr 20, 2003
    I don't care enough about Bethesda to get into edit wars there. I'll simply post the unedited version at The Vault.

7. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    I've had a grudge against that Gstaff guy ever since he refused to reply to my private messages on the Bethesda forum about VATS in Fallout 3 being totally ruined by the 1.7 patch. They never fixed it. :D

Honestly, I don't have much of a problem with the people at Bethesda Game Studios. They're just game developers doing what they do, even if they aren't particularly good at it a lot of the time. It's the publishing wing that's pure evil. ZeniMax likes to intentionally blur the lines between the publishing and development sides in order to help market lesser-known titles (i.e. implying that WET was made by the guys who did Oblivion), and revisionist history seems totally in line with their manipulation of information for their own benefit.

I'm almost of a mind to head over to the Bethesda forums and post a bunch of threads about this, although considering the number of official game boards I've been banned from for exposing negative-but-truthful things about the developers/publishers, I may want to hang on to my existing forum account this time.