Fan Made Fallout Officially DBA

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Tagaziel, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    Posted on the frontpage of The Radiated Society is a rather unpleasant note: FMF is unoficially Dead Before Arrival:<blockquote>I can say that unofficially this morning April 14th 2009 the Fan Made Fallout Project has been closed.

There has been no official announcement at this point and until it has been officially announced on the F.M.F. site it may not happen, however at this point I don't see this decision being overturned.

If you were wondering...I'm a mapper on F.M.F. and that's how I know, and we were not told to keep this information quite so that is why I say unofficial at this point however this is the second time this year already that we have almost closed the doors and I think they will stay closed this time.

There is no word yet on if or when the forums will be opened to the public, however I do hope so.

Thanks to everyone on and off the F.M.F. Team that has supported the project over the last seven years! I'm sorry that we couldn't see the dream come true but after seven years we got really close for a closed, fan made, not for profit project.

AltraWave7</blockquote>4too brought this sad news to us.

Link: The Radiated Society

Update: Project founder Dark Underlord posted on the FMF homepage to confirm that the mod is dead and elaborate on the reasons why.

2. Per

Per Vault Consort Staff Member Admin

Apr 1, 2004
    If they do die, one wonders if all they did will be released so that everyone can see how much they accomplished in those seven years and/or use it for other stuff.

Next lizard curse target: FIFE? Or are they dead already.

3. shihonage

shihonage Made in USSR

May 8, 2007
    FIFE will never die. Zero-Projekt and PARPG are both based on it.

4. Cimmerian Nights

Cimmerian Nights So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2004
    Re: Fan Made Fallout Unofficialy DBA

That's it?
    Knowing 4too he probably wrote a really witty eulogy filled with lots of alliterative literary allusions, and some heady pathos for us to spiritually masticate as only he can.

Just saying he brought us the news. That's like saying John Coltraine played a few notes. Or Norman Mailer filled a few pages. Or Mike Tyson threw a couple punches.

5. shihonage

shihonage Made in USSR

May 8, 2007
    Re: Fan Made Fallout Unofficialy DBA

:clap:

Well said, sir.

vvvv YOU GOT NO PROOF vvvv

6. Per

Per Vault Consort Staff Member Admin

Apr 1, 2004
    Because you made a one-smiley post, FIFE will die and Zero-Projekt and PARPG will die too from lack of support.

Edit:

We turned his feathers black, does that count?

7. TychoXI

TychoXI Still Mildly Glowing

Oct 20, 2008
    Aaaaaw. man...

8. Verd1234

Verd1234 Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jan 16, 2009
    Looks like the 21st century really HAS been bad for the Fallout series...

First BIS died....then Bethesda raped the series....then Interplay turned it into an MMO...and now THIS!?!?!?!?

Damn....I guess nobody was expecting the Fallout series and almost everything associated with it to crash like this...

What's next? Will more mods die? Will the NMA itself die?

This decade was bad enough for Fallout....I shudder to think what the next decade will bring...

9. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant

Apr 24, 2005
    I really hope, that at least some created material will be released.

(If something exists? :>)

10. SNorth

SNorth Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Mar 13, 2004
    I think Mutants Rising is going to make it. It is a shame about FMF though. The main trouble is how long it takes to finish these things. I was active for 4 years on MR. If you are missing even one key person, the project can go right down the drain. Too bad we don't have a fan with a lot of disposable income who would pay people to do Fallout mods. Be interesting to see how many people would join a project then. Doing it for love helps, but it rarely is enough. Takes a special person. Chris Parks is one of those. So is Dude101 and Wild_qwerty, Continuum and a few other people I know who managed to stick with MR.

Anyway, I was also a short time member on FMF and it was going to be a kick-ass game. Real shame to see it die. Sad day.

11. moyogo

moyogo First time out of the vault

Sep 22, 2008
    To people on the FMF team, don't get down on yourselves. You took on a monumental task, and it was exciting to see what progress you made. Good luck in all your future endeavors!

12. AltraWave7

AltraWave7 Stay Safe Out There!

May 21, 2003
    Thanks for all the kind words everyone, we gave it one last push but we couldn't move the mountain this time.

I'll risk being burned by the F.M.F. and M.R. crew and mention that there is talk of giving our 'City on the Coast' content (the Alpha Demo released in Feb) to Mutant Rising to incorporate into their M.O.D.

I'm hoping that you will all get to see what we were able to come up with and that Darkunderlord gives the ok to make the F.M.F. forum public.

Until the official announcement is made over at F.M.F. I can only voice my opinion that anything we don't offer up to M.R. be made public.

Thanks again to everyone for the support over the years.

Altra

13. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Apr 6, 2003
    Nothing.

14. Wild_qwerty

Wild_qwerty Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 2, 2004
    dont worry once MR is finished Chris Parks will finish FMF next :)

15. Maxxim

Maxxim First time out of the vault

Apr 2, 2003
    Before we wax all emotional and get way off topic, I wonder if anyone from F.M.F. can write a post mortem for their project. Seven years is a LOT (not the Polish flying type) of time! To think of it, TeamX has been around forever, which in fact is "only" nine years. Surely there is something to be learned from F.M.F's experience. With the advent of the Third, Fallout modding is on the rise again, and F.M.F's life lessons may be useful for the new generation of modders. Let us not go gently to the endless winter night, okay?

16. Karel

Karel Still Mildly Glowing

Jan 21, 2006
    Let the plundering begin... Any material released yet?

17. Stevie D

Stevie D Vault Cornwall my ansome

Jan 25, 2004
    DU's posted a fitting eulogy and made the forums 'n' wiki available to joe public. Get yourself over t' site and fill your boots.

18. Slaughter Manslaught

Slaughter Manslaught Vault Senior Citizen

Dec 11, 2006
    Frankly, I can't understand why there are so many talented modders on seperate projects instead of concentrating efforts within one TC. If we had all big-time modders working on one project (FMF people, Nuclear Winter, Forgotten Knight, FO 1.5 Ressurection devs, Lexx and others), I think we would be playing a TC already.

19. Chris Parks

Chris Parks Vault Senior Citizen

Jun 10, 2006
    Stay away from MR lizard thing!

The plan at the moment is to incorporate City on the coast into MR as it is a stand alone area.

You finish my degree and I'll do FMF. :D

20. Briosafreak

Briosafreak Lived Through the Heat Death

Dec 18, 2003

In two at the most. I've been saying that for 6 years now.

Also I blame DarkUnderlord