So why is Caesar such a dick in New Vegas?

Discussion in 'Fallout: New Vegas Discussion' started by TheHouseAlwaysWins, May 18, 2018 at 8:30 AM.

1. TheHouseAlwaysWins

TheHouseAlwaysWins First time out of the vault

Nov 28, 2015
    I mean the legion sucks so much they don't have a real sense of Brotherhood to each other at all since everybody is disposable, even Joshua Graham who co-founded the legion and was best friend's with Caesar got thrown under the bus. So why would anybody side with the legion at all??

2. peadar87

peadar87 Still Mildly Glowing

Jun 4, 2015
    Because they keep the peace. No bandits, no raiders, no crime, no blackouts, no drought. And for many who grew up in the wasteland, the occasional crucifixion of someone for not much in particular is a small price to pay for that.

3. NMLevesque

NMLevesque Commie Ghost

Jul 2, 2016
    Yes, the "peace" built on enslaving most of its people. So peaceful. No violence at all.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  4. Hardboiled Android

Hardboiled Android Mildly Dipped

Jun 7, 2015
    Most "Great Men" throughout history were big ol' dicks.

5. CT Phipps

CT Phipps Half-way Through My Half-life

Sep 17, 2016
    In general, colonialist warlords tend to not to be very good people.

6. Apollyon

Apollyon First time out of the vault

Apr 29, 2017
    The Legion is the only faction that takes steps to avoid the same mistakes that humanity made before the Great War. Caesar recognizes that technology mixed with the human tendency towards conflict is something that makes another Great War inevitable, should humanity go down the same path. By banning or heavily limiting the use and development of technology, they at the very least make a repetition of history less likely.

I also like Caesar's philosophy in general. He intends to forge a stronger humanity.
    Side-tracking a bit here, but I've been thinking about how the NCR symbolizes corruption of mind (political corruption, consumerism, a desire for comfort) and how Mr. House symbolizes corruption of body (relying on machines to keep him alive and do everything for him). The Legion breaks with both of these. In a way the Legion strives for purity of mind and body, eventhough that doesn't always look pretty.

7. Norzan

Norzan Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Apr 7, 2017
    Caesar's Legion is bringing peace. It is through subjugation and violence but in the end, it is peace. Because there can't be really conflict if you are either under Caeasar's command (a soldier in his army) or under his subjugation (a slave).