The Age of Decadence: Great RPG, or Greatest RPG ever made?

Irwin John Finster

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
Well I finally got some free time to get into this game and let me tell you it is one of the best RPGs ever made - ever. This is exactly how role playing games are supposed to be designed! The amount of nuance in the writing and the depth of interactivity with the game world is staggering in comparison to the offline-MMOs masquerading as "RPGs" being churned out by AAA studios.

Finally we have a game where you can actually fail dialogue! Dialogue isn't simply a list of options where you just click through all of them for no reason. You have to actually think about your dialog choices because they may have immediate or long-term consequences. This is one reason why Planescape Torment is loved so much.

I have not encountered a single MMO fetch quest so far. This game does not waste your time with such lazy things. The writing and dialogue destroys pretty much every other game on so many levels and harkens back to a time when this sort of thing was standard in RPGs.

The combat has been criticized for being random or frustrating but I have to disagree. It seems obvious that the combat wasn't just thrown together - it is incredibly nuanced and everything has a rhyme and reason.

You can, and will, FAIL! You will fail dialogue, you will fail combat. You can try to scheme and make plans to make this game world look the way you want and make the story unfold the way you want. Well too bad - this game's choice/consequence and interactivity will find a way to throw a wrench in your plans, and that is what makes this game so great: you are not the Dragonborn and you sure aren't the female lawyer Sole Survivor who magically turns into a super soldier and takes on entire legions of Raiders in Fallout 4. You are not going to become the High King of every single faction through some boring, dumbed down linear questline. NO sir (or madam)! Not this game! If you play this game like your standard Bethesda or Call of Duty game you will last about 5 minutes. The Age of Decadence is meant to be played seriously - you must carefully choose your battles and dialogue.

This game demands that you treat it as a believable simulation of an actual game world. You actually have to roleplay that you are inside this universe, and as such it doesn't allow you to wantonly go around taking on entire armies by yourself and dominating everything and molding the entire universe to your will. You're not a snowflake in this game.

This game is exactly what the RPG world needed to remind people of what role-playing games actually are. It is essentially the anti-Bethesda game because:
1) You will never see every single quest/storyline in a single playthrough
2) You start the game from multiple vantage points through a different perspective each time, and your decisions change outcomes within each of those different starting backgrounds.
3) Combat is essentially a last resort and is to be avoided if possible
4) Dialogue matters
5) The amount of variety and interactivity is staggering! A single quest has many ways to successfully complete depending on your stats and character - so stats actually matter! A LOT!
6) This game has insane replayability. You will have different experience every time.
7) This game embodies the concept of verisimilitude. You have to play it as though you're part of the game world and you must abide by its rules.
8) CHOICE AND CONSEQUENCE is an immense part of The Age of Decadence. But that doesn't mean you get to choose exactly what happens. The Age of Decadence doesn't care for your "plans" - your choices will set in motion events that you simply cannot predict, and you will have to adapt. And that is what a believable simulation of a fictional universe should do.
9) The interface is actually good. Its aesthetic styling adds to the immersion of the game world - there are no bland UI's in this game.

As of right now, the tutorial is well done and the soundtrack very adequately captures the ambience and atmosphere of this post-apocalyptic, low fantasy universe. If you hate reading then this game is not for you. If you hate RPGs this game is probably not for you. If, however, you think the term "RPG" has been slowly degraded by games like Fallout 4 and Borderlands to mean games with boring, repetitive, procedurally generated MMO fetch quests, shallow characters, and lousy upgrade systems with merely the illusion of dialogue choices - then this is your game.

This game is viewed by many as too hard and too complicated. The fact is, this is what the standard should be for role playing games.

TL;DR - The Age of Decadence is the best game ever made and anyone who says otherwise is wrong! (Okay, well it's at least ONE of the best games ever made). In my opinion, it's absolutely worth the price.

Last edited:
Yeah, I also just started with the game. Just made it into Maadoran, so I haven't had much time with it yet, but so far it's been pretty fun. Teron felt pretty straight forward, but I suppose things are going to become a lot more confusing soon.

Anyway, looking forward to finishing the game, and then replaying the game ad infinitum 'till I've finally found every secret out there. :D

Well no, you can't ultimately fail. F5-F6 or create new character based on mistakes that were made and avoid 'em. It's not like one playthrough is long.

Well no, you can't ultimately fail. F5-F6 or create new character based on mistakes that were made and avoid 'em. It's not like one playthrough is long.
I think this sort of misses my point. If you're roleplaying a character and not simply reloading constantly then you can, and will, fail certain things in this game. You can fail dialogue not just based on your stats but on the specific lines you choose. There are even hidden skill checks in place. You don't just exhuast every dialogue option every time. The game demands that you think in order to achieve the best possible results. When I say "fail" I don't mean you cannot continue playing the game with that character, simply that the world will react to your dialogue and action choices accordingly and this will often cause you to be unable to do certain things, while being able to do other things.

Also, for example, you can successfully complete an entire questline but based on decisions you make within various sub-quests you can end up with a "failure state" of sorts as well. The game continues on, but you will not have ended that questline as you would have ideally wanted because of decisions you made previously. As a result, you will have to adapt in the game world and find other sources of work and interaction. "Fail state" in this sense doesn't mean you can't complete the game, it means you have failed dialogue with a certain person who may refuse to do business with you, or you may be expelled from certain groups, etc. You can still continue the game with that character.

The ability to fail certain dialogue and quests based on the type of character you roleplay is a good thing, one that Bethesda has deliberately removed from their games and in doing so they have made their games much more boring and shallow.

Last edited:
Damn, romanian setting after all those TV series and New Vegas cosplayers really got me tired to see 'em in another work of fiction. Oh, well. As long as it's 'Fallout-y' enough, I'm fine.

Oh, well. As long as it's 'Fallout-y' enough, I'm fine.
I don't know, man. For the time I followed AoD's discussion mostly on the Codex, none (or perhaps only very few of them) ever mentioned how it's inspired by Fallout. But hey, the fact that the Lead Designer is Vince D. Weller (who's internet name is The Vault Dweller, at least here in NMA and in the Codex) should be an enough hint that AoD is obviously inspired by Fallout, and many of the other greatest RPGs of all time.

On side note, if we want to talk about newer cRPGs that's absolutely inspired by Fallout, Underrail takes the cake and it shows.

I don't know, man. For the time I followed AoD's discussion mostly on the Codex, none (or perhaps only very few of them) ever mentioned how it's inspired by Fallout. But hey, the fact that the Lead Designer is Vince D. Weller (who's internet name is The Vault Dweller, at least here in NMA and in the Codex) should be an enough hint that AoD is obviously inspired by Fallout, and many of the other greatest RPGs of all time.

On side note, if we want to talk about newer cRPGs that's absolutely inspired by Fallout, Underrail takes the cake and it shows.
If you really get immersed in the world, it definitely feels like an ancient Roman-styled post-apocalyptic Fallout of sorts. The writing is very good and destroys many other games.

Underrail is great as well. Both games are worth a buy in my opinion.
Yes, but can I climb that mountain?
No, and there's not any $50 Workshop DLC or MMO quests either.

Last edited:
Also, for example, you can successfully complete an entire questline but based on decisions you make within various sub-quests you can end up with a "failure state" of sorts as well. The game continues on, but you will not have ended that questline as you would have ideally wanted because of decisions you made previously. As a result, you will have to adapt in the game world and find other sources of work and interaction.
Yes, I've already got one uneasy alliance going on that will undoubtedly stab me in the butt later on. Oh well, I'll see how things unfold.

It's a really interesting, well written RPG. Amazing atmosphere and setting, good character customization and roleplay, solid progression curve and so far, nice story.

The only problem I have is with the immaturity of the difficulty, a bit like in Dark Souls (So hardcore ! So real !). I'm down for deadly and unforgiving combats, no problem. First mod I've installed for New Vegas was realistic weapon damages, and I always played my RPGs in difficult mod. The thing is, The Age of Decadence is in constant need of remind you how challenging it is, by litteraly constantly saying "See ? You just freaking died, because you're not a badass ! Nobody is, in this world !" well, no shit you washed-out old fuckup, I didn't need a brotherhood scribe to tell me that. Immersive difficulty is meant to be implemented within the game, and if it's done well, I don't need the devs to litteraly saying to my face "You see what happens, Lebowski ? See what happens ?".

Icy (good little game, by the way) did that amazingly well. It can be insanely difficult to survive until the end, but it's coherent with the setting and story, and there's no message box to remind you of that. It just... flows with the game. Same can be said for Stalker, for example.
Now, don't get me wrong, I love "The age of decadence", really. That's the only flaw I see in it, but otherwise, it's a refreshing, well written title, and I've recommanded it to my friends. It is still way, WAY beyond 99% of the current RPGs and the setting is insane. I don't think I've ever seen a post apocalyptic roman era anywhere else.

It's an awesome game for many reasons. I've only had time for 2.5 playthroughs, one pure combat and one talk/lore. I'd like to explore some more of the gated content but I don't really have time to try everything.

Neck and neck with Underrail for GotY last year for me.

Their next game Colony Ship sounds really interesting as well, but it's still in early development.

In gritty low fantasy world of AoD people who tries to lure you into a trap or do something stupid are so "rare" & "unpredictable" it's became funny. Not that's not fun to view concenquences but still. Hell, beardy one of them in Teron even has drawn avatar so you can tell he's untrustworthy.

What are you talking about, look at this face:
Miltiades.jpg

Would this face lie to you?
Trust in the face, it's gonna be big.

Totally.

/EDIT: Damn, the crossbows are extremely disappointing. They are made as alternative to bows but without strengh requierment. Yet when I want to perform critical shots I suddenly need strengh. So, what's the point? And pretty much only armor piercing bolts actually pefrorms any good results. So regular shots+AP bolts is reliable. WTF is this, a turn-based Quake?

Last edited:
Yeah, I made a crossbow run and that pissed me off too.

But if it's an assassin, just think about all the free points you get from the quests. Then later you can throw ebola at the gods and win in 1-2 rounds with the gun from zamedi.

But if it's an assassin, just think about all the free points you get from the quests. Then later you can throw ebola at the gods and win in 1-2 rounds with the gun from zamedi.
The bolter? Yeah, that's quite awesome pistol, devs bumped it's significance sky high in release build.
Well, the throwin' ebola, isn't it actually the opposite of hardcore?

/EDIT: Huh, heavy armor can even work with dodge. Fuckin' A.

Last edited:
Once you have the bolter and power armor, it's game over.
Unless you get ebola.

this is so true, you could even do rolling and even carrying a great sword with that.

and so the myth "knight require crane" to lift him to his horse.

but still, it just bother me that spear or polearm never made itself into best weapon in any games. >.<

Back