What does Combat Difficult setting do?

Discussion in 'Fallout RPG Gameplay & Tech' started by QuantumApprentice, Feb 9, 2018.

1. QuantumApprentice

QuantumApprentice First time out of the vault

Feb 9, 2018
    I apologize if this has been explained elsewhere, the search function didn't turn up much so I figured I'd just ask.

I'm trying to figure out what exactly the combat difficulty setting does in Fallout 2. A few posts I've seen on other forums say it lowers the enemies perception, or reduces their critical chance while increasing the players.

But I was looking at the weapon damage formula on the falloutmods wiki and it looks like the combat difficulty setting is also used to determine the player's final damage output.

Can anybody point me to a breakdown of what the Combat Difficulty setting affects?
    Also, does the Game Difficulty setting affect anything besides your non-combat skill levels?

2. QuantumApprentice

QuantumApprentice First time out of the vault

Feb 9, 2018
    Here's what I've come up with so far:

http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_engine_calculations
    This place appears to actually be documentation on the Fallout engine, though I can't tell if it's Fallout 1 or 2.
    Most of the way down on the page (search "Damage and combat calculations") there's a section that describes the equation for damage the player does in an attack. In that equation is a reference to the Combat Difficulty setting. Here's the whole quote (important section in red):

Damage and combat calculations
    ND = net damage value
    RD = random damage value produced from weapons hit damage range
    RB = ranged bonus (RB=0 unless the player has Bonus Ranged Damage perk)
    X = ammo damage multiplier
    Y = ammo damage divisor
    CM = critical hit damage multiplier (if no critical hit then CM=2, otherwise assigned value from critical hit table)
    CD = combat difficulty multiplier (Easy=75, Normal=100, Hard=125)
    AI = 1 if critical hit which ignores armor, otherwise 0
    ADT = armor damage threshold value
    ADR = armor damage resistance value
    RM = ammo resistance modifier (only value allowed to be negative or positive in the equation)

Original:
    ND = ((RD+RB) × (X/Y) × (CM/2) × (CD/100) - ADT/max(5*AI,1)) × (100 - max((ADR/max(5*AI,1) + RM),0) / 100

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/63576-fallout-2/55817414
    https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/63576-fallout-2/46700584
    These two forum posts both mention enemy spawn rate in encounters and critical chance rate, but neither mention a source.

The game manual pdf found in the Fallout 2 game directory states:

Combat Difficulty [Wimpy, Normal, Rough]
    Controls the difficulty of combat. On Wimpy level, all
    opponents have a negative modifier to hit you, do less
    damage and take fewer targeted shots. On the Rough
    setting, they will hit you more often, do more damage and
    tend to take more targeted shots.There is no penalty or
    reward for using any of the settings, and you can change
    this preference whenever you wish.

This matches my printed manual, (though the pdf itself differs from the printed manual in several places), and no mention is made of player damage or enemy spawn rate, though the change in criticals could be accounted for with a change in aimed shots as the manual states.

However, because there are so many inconsistencies between the manual and the game because of bugs (vanilla version at least), I'm just trying to find out what the setting actually changes in the engine according to the most recent official patch.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018