Aliens Vs. Predator (the 2010 fps, not the old one)...

Yes.

The average gamer does not read anything.

They just zone out because it looks like one of those "Don't sit close to the TVs and DAMAGE YOUR EYEBALLS" messages.

I think it's rather that pretty much all demos are stated as "not fully reflecting the quality of the final product" (it's a demo), and it's usually just a trick to make people think that the game will actually be ten times better than the demo, where as in fact it's just slightly more polished. (It doesn't have to be the case here, but how are we supposed to know?)
However, after playing the thing (a lot) more, I'm taking back my first impression, it took some time getting used to, but when I got used to it, it pretty much rocked. I especially loved when I was hiding amidst some crates and just pulling a marine in to me, seeing the expression in his face before gnawing inside his skull. aah.

I enjoy the Alien kill move where he sticks his fingers in the Marine's eyes and mouth like a bowling ball and twists his head off.

First 30 minutes as Marine are awesome - the scene in club is amazing. I just wish it was PC exclusive - no crouch and lean, huge fonts, stupid arrow always pointing to objective...that kind of stuff brings the game down.

so the game is out now? I will probably wait a couple of weeks before I pick it up. don't really have time to start playing anything new yet anyways.

Paul_cz said:
I just wish it was PC exclusive - no crouch and lean, huge fonts, stupid arrow always pointing to objective...that kind of stuff brings the game down.

You PC Dinks are starting to get on my nerves with these stupid comments.

anyway.

Fun game. I know I said fun, remember Fun? no.....Well to fucking bad because I do. Best part, no damn hold you by the hand and guide you gingerly over the battlefield regenerative health! Yes I know the Alien has it but remember 1: he can't take to many hits anyway, 2: it does take it's sweet ass time recharging.

All the reviews say this game is mediocre. But then again, none of these reviewers mentioned the failtastic ending of Fallout 3 and all of them happen to think CoD MW2 is the best FPS ever, and CoD has no learning curve.

Paul_cz said:
I just wish it was PC exclusive - no crouch and lean, huge fonts, stupid arrow always pointing to objective...that kind of stuff brings the game down.

No leaning is definitely a sign of consolification, but I'm not so sure other things you mentioned have anything to do with it not being PC exclusive. Lack of crouching seems to be there for some other mysterious (and stupid) reason, as there is a "walk" button (pretty useless by the way) that could have been easily replaced with "crouch" button. Huge fonts - lazy porting more than multiplatforming problem, and objective arrows definitely have nothing to do with consoles, earlier console games managed to run fine without them without a single crash!

as there is a "walk" button (pretty useless by the way)
Walking makes you invisible to the motion sensor. I know, it's silly.

OakTable said:
All the reviews say this game is mediocre. But then again, none of these reviewers mentioned the failtastic ending of Fallout 3 and all of them happen to think CoD MW2 is the best FPS ever, and CoD has no learning curve.
CoD has no learning curve. It's pretty much Baby's First FPS™.

Tycn said:
Walking makes you invisible to the motion sensor. I know, it's silly.

Well at least it's not entirely useless then even if it doesn't make sense. I didn't know that as I am still doing Marine missions. Still they should have made it a "crouch" button, at least for marines and predators, inability to crouch is often annoying, especially when fighting Bishop's drones.

Let's not get our hopes too high, guys, this game is under development by Rebellion sofeware, check out their latest game "Rogue warrior"

Childmolester said:
Let's not get our hopes too high, guys, this game is under development by Rebellion sofeware, check out their latest game "Rogue warrior"
Which was dumped on them by another developer after they went under.

Childmolester said:

Rebellion eh? Sounds an awful lot like that company what did the original Aliens Vs Predator on the Jaguar.
/sarcasm

Alphadrop said:
Childmolester said:

Rebellion eh? Sounds an awful lot like that company what did the original Aliens Vs Predator on the Jaguar.
/sarcasm
Dang. Wasn't aware of that.
My point stands though. They have an awful history of making games.
http://www.gamespot.com/games.html?type=company&mode=13096

aenemic said:
don't really get why they give us a MP only demo. I'm not one bit interested in MP, I want to play an AvP game for the SP campaigns.
If you want to see that, there is everywhere the "first 10 min video" available for all species. Love the Alien champaign so far (as can be seen by my avatar >3 !), disslike the Marine start as it feels so fucking generic ...

By the way, you guys played AvP since the begining? Multiplayer was always strong with that game. Mostly with AvP2 though. Even with its shit lags, stupid netcode and the many many ... (did I said many?) exploits you could use it was played in MP for a very long time thx to the rather well balanced species and difference you had in gameplay. Playing Predators didnt feelt like playing Humans or Xenomorphs. For its time the game was a blast in multiplayer and there was nothing better then get in with a friend together playing as aliens moving down preds and humans along the way till you get 10 kills in a row thus changing to a Alien Queen, and killing some 10 more before they killed you eventualy ... aaah good old times :3 ! God knows alone for that awesome "pred scream" when he died was worth to play the game!

aenemic said:
besides the very limited controls of the Marine, there's really only one thing about the MP demo that makes me a bit worries about the SP game. this worry is also based on the Predator teaser trailer I was a while ago:

it seems like killing someone in melee combat takes several hits and it's almost impossible to make a one-shot kill. this is more understandable for MP (although still a bit weird) but judging from the Predator teaser, the player doesn't just run up to the marines and gut them like he's supposed to - they take several hits to put them down.
Depends how you do it I think. There are blocks faint attacks, light attacks and "strong" attacks which humans cant block! (seriously you cant block a wrist blade or xeno with your hands).

Maybe this clears it up a bit:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lyMNb7pU3c[/youtube]

Serifan said:
What a lot of people don't realize is that the demo was from an older version and the game itself is much more polished.
Well said. Thats what a good Friend told me as well. Not sure if its true (but I trust him usualy) but he said he talked with a Tester and it seems they worked on fixing the bugs that have been present in the demo and most of them are not in the game anymore. Letz hope hes right!

Also for those that dont mind spoilers!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkXAgnjJpKA
[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaU1Evus_Rs[/youtube]

oh man oh man, I can hardly keep myself from looking at those vids. don't wanna spoil anything yet though. damn, I really need to pick up this game. if it sucks, I'll probably just replay AvP2 again.

Shame they got rid of AvP2's rather interesting Alien evolution gimmik. I liked trying to solo a Queen.

I finished the game and I'm not impressed at all. It has two issues mainly, the first being a lack of clear direction on behalf of the developers, the second a lack of content.

By lack of direction I mean lack of cohesion. The game has stuff from the movies and previous games but doesn't manage to make anything great from them. The three campaigns are underwhelming and generic looking.

By lack of content I mean that all three campaigns take place on the same maps and there's only like 7 of them and they aren't even that great. You get bored as play through a map for the third time. The campaigns are also short. There are also quite a bit of marine and predator weapons and equipment that's missing.

The human AI is very dumb. They don't notice pretty much anything that's going around them, and when they do enter combat they mostly stay and shoot or slowly retreat while shooting. The Aliens fare significantly better with flanking and retreating and attempting surprise attacks. But even they are slow to react at times. The Predators' AI is a mixed bag. Their main issue is that they always try to evade you even though they can't and they take plenty of damage while doing so.

Special mention for the story which is almost absent. There is a premise and an ending (both of which are cliched) but not much in between. To sum it up I have to say nothing cool or particularly interesting happens.

Anyway I wrote a lengthy review and posted it on a couple of sites. If anyone's interested I could post it here as well.
Or you could take my word that this game is nothing special and quite a disappointment after all those years of waiting.

Actually, please do post your review.

I had the suspicion that this game wasn't very good.

A shame, AVP2 was pretty good IMO.

Back