ATOM RPG - Now with isometric view!

The_Proletarian

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
Staff member
Admin
8694fa6b565ce47df3832b2b4a44b107_original.jpg

A new patch for ATOM is out and with it comes a new isometric mode for the game. The new isometric mode is actually being developed for the upcoming standalone expansion Trudograd. However, the developers felt like adding it to the base game as well according to the latest kickstarter update.

Last edited:
Is it possible to play the full game in this view, or do you need to toggle midgame?

Is it possible to play the full game in this view, or do you need to toggle midgame?
You can toggle it on/off in the games settings. Do note the possibility that they forgot to test the iso mode on some location(s) which might make items or doors unusable. You should probably consider this a beta-test of the new camera mode.

Do note the possibility that they forgot to test the iso mode on some location(s) which might make items or doors unusable. You should probably consider this a beta-test of the new camera mode.
Thanks. This is what I was after. I was surprised to see a camera angle like this being added as an afterthought as the locations were not designed for it, but if it works it works.

You can toggle it on/off in the games settings. Do note the possibility that they forgot to test the iso mode on some location(s) which might make items or doors unusable. You should probably consider this a beta-test of the new camera mode.

You can still rotate camera, so I don't think there will be any issues of that kind.

I'm replaying the game now and from my perspective it's really good. Looking forward to the next chapter.

Honest [even silly] question: What is the benefit of this, exactly?

Having a bird's-eye view in any form, is better than not having it, but ATOM already had it.
Strict Isometric merely for sake of being isometric seems a bit masochistic to me; especially if it's faked, because that implies an elective graphical downgrade. Why would someone choose this?

Is there a non-cosmetic reason for it here?

Last edited:
Practicality i would say.
I find that most game with rotating\panning camera that i've tried did a very poor job. (there are a couple of exceptions)
I rather have a fixed view than trouble myself with finding a new position for the camera each time there is something troublesome between the camera and what i am trying to see.

Although, the game have to work well from beginning to end with the chosen view. If i have to switch to moving camera too many times, the feature would be kind of pointless.

But again... Why strict Isometric instead of a [more realistic] 3D perspective. There are many games that have a non-rotating camera, but that render the scene in a natural perspective.

Fallout was cavalier oblique for simplicity of navigation between the hexes.

I've heard others besides Risewild claim that Tim Cain was wrong or misspoke there too.
8-Figure9-1.png
1200px-Comparison_of_graphical_projections.svg.png
I can't even tell you from that which it is. Maybe if I pull up a screenshot? I don't know, I can't even organize furniture in a living room that would make sense spatially.

BTW... Does NMA have a Blender scene template for Fallout?
(The correct camera height and orientation for making new props and scenery.)

IRRC there was one floating around years ago...

I can't even tell you from that which it is. Maybe if I pull up a screenshot? I don't know, I can't even organize furniture in a living room that would make sense spatially.
Here's a quick and dirty example I just made using the wikipedia's "Axonometric" page examples and classic Fallout games:
0xXimHa.gif

The first one is the Cavalier perspective (they are labeled, but it might be too fast for people to notice at first), you can clearly see that the angles don't match, second is the Trimetric and the angles match perfectly.

Sometimes even the creators of something make mistakes describing it. :nod:

I appreciate the example but if this was a quiz, I would be guessing blindly even if you showed me that gif. I can kinda see that it's trimetric?

Maybe it'll help if you only look at the front of the buidling, the facade. See how it's angled?

Back