Bethesda going to be as mindful as Obsidian with Fallout 4?

Joelzania said:
They'd probably make the brotherhood of steel fight the aliens from mothership zeta or something. Gameplay wise, I've always been fond of the elder scrolls sort of action, but god dammit, I just can not stand how they messed up every single tiny detail from the original fallout games. Even bottlecaps for gods' sakes. Bottlecaps! I really doubt traders from the Hub would bother traversing coast to coast to trade with some dirty megaton mongrel or the slack jawed gung ho yellow skin muties that plague the Capital wasteland.

Ever since 2006, bethesda has been just terrible, and I blame Todd Howard completely. All we can expect from the next Fallout game will boil down to the Star wars prequels of the gaming industry.

Oh, and on a side note, is anyone tired of hearing the formulaic phrase: "I used to be a _________ like you, but then i took an arrow to the knee." Because I am!

Bottlecaps seems like a pretty logical thing to use, even if in F1 it originated with the Hub it doesn't mean that all usage of bottlecaps as currency everywhere in the post-apocalyptic world did. As we know from real-world anthropology, similar ideas and trends have at many points sprung up almost simultaneously throughout history.

It seems like a huge leap and unbelievable if you interpret it YOUR way, as if people from the hub trekked all the way to DC and introduced caps as a currency, but that's a blatantly stupid intepretation. It makes sense to just assume people in DC adopted it on their own.

I stumbled upon this on the web. Could be bullshit, could be something. Interesting either way. I didn't want to make a thread for it, so I figured I would post it here.

I have a friend who works as a secretary in the Bethesda office, and he said that some of the developers were throwing ideas around, and they are really thinking about doing Seattle Wa for the next Fallout city, with the Space Needle, underground Seattle, and it being a major port during the war for troops on their way to Alaska, as well as seeing some of the effects when the US annexed Canada....

Thoughts?

TorontRayne said:
I stumbled upon this on the web. Could be bullshit, could be something. Interesting either way. I didn't want to make a thread for it, so I figured I would post it here.

I have a friend who works as a secretary in the Bethesda office, and he said that some of the developers were throwing ideas around, and they are really thinking about doing Seattle Wa for the next Fallout city, with the Space Needle, underground Seattle, and it being a major port during the war for troops on their way to Alaska, as well as seeing some of the effects when the US annexed Canada....

Thoughts?
Effects when the US annexed Canada?

OK, you can say goodbye to Fallout canon, or, better yet, the franchise overall.

Such a thing would work better, like Fallout 3, if the events in the game occur closer to the Great War.

As such, 200+ years after the War is just too much time to be in such stasis.

TorontRayne said:

Thoughts?

Fine with me, as long as I get to blow up the space needle.

TorontRayne said:

Thoughts?

A friend of my friend who's the son of Todd Howard told me that Fallout 4 will have mecha-dragons. :wink:

WorstUsernameEver said:
TorontRayne said:

Thoughts?

A friend of my friend who's the son of Todd Howard told me that Fallout 4 will have mecha-dragons. :wink:

I believe you.

Electrical flatulence will only be in the DLC. It won't be canon.

Also, psychic mecha is a blatant contradiction. Shadowrun told me so, and Shadowrun is always correct.

That said, to answer the OP's question: No. They're going to attempt maxmize profits, like any mainstream developer usually does. Whatever the genre du jour is in the middle of the development cycle, FO4 will be more like that.

I have no doubt Bethesda could come with a similar premise that sounded cool in theory by the way, maybe picking something from old/unused lore, but honestly, what counts is execution. Skyrim shows they're slowly improving with the writing, but there's still a lot of bad stuff, so we'll have to see.

Good lord, you're all so cynical. You all seem to accentuate the flaws of Fallout 3, ignoring all it's strengths.

I'd like to see some unexplored areas: Seattle, New York, Dallas or something (So long as they don't mention that terrible spin-off game), or maybe areas like Florida.

Big, rebuilt theme parks with communities developing them as strongholds? Sounds good to me.

StroHersh said:
Good lord, you're all so cynical. You all seem to accentuate the flaws of Fallout 3, ignoring all it's strengths.

For the record, I loved fallout 3 even though a lot of it was ridiculous (video game...standard), since I had no preconceived notion of what the fallout universe 'should' be like. I'm late to the fallout party. That said, having played NV and FO2 since then, I can understand some of the QQ.

But yes, I am cynical, about pretty much every human endeavor undertaken for profit.

StroHersh said:

Fallout 3 had strengths?

Big, rebuilt theme parks with communities developing them as strongholds? Sounds good to me.

Quite funny, since the entire game is already one big wasteland themepark to adventure in.

Sub-Human said:
TorontRayne said:

Thoughts?
Effects when the US annexed Canada?

OK, you can say goodbye to Fallout canon, or, better yet, the franchise overall.

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not. It's been said countless times that the U.S annexed Canada. Hell, it's in the Fallout 1 intro video.

Guess they will be able to re use the trees and other forest stuff from Skyrim in that case.

In truth I would not mind seeing some surviving forests as the idea that the whole planet is a desert is ridiculous, but I honestly can say that I don't find Seattle a memorable place.

And what is this desire to tie in to the War in Alaska?
That happened centuries ago, the world has moved on a lot since.

You don't see much remnants of wars that happened here two hundred years ago in the Netherlands for example other than what you kind find in a museum.

The Dutch Ghost said:
Guess they will be able to re use the trees and other forest stuff from Skyrim in that case.

In truth I would not mind seeing some surviving forests as the idea that the whole planet is a desert is ridiculous, but I honestly can say that I don't find Seattle a memorable place.

I agree about the forests. Trees would have definitely started to grow after a couple hundred years. I don't see how Seattle isn't memorable though. Shadowrun made Seattle a badass place IMO. I guess that's why it sticks out more to me, since I'm a big Shadowrun fan. I have no desire to see Alaska again though. It would be better to use another northern area instead like Michigan, Montana, or Washington.

Joelzania said:
Oh, and on a side note, is anyone tired of hearing the formulaic phrase: "I used to be a _________ like you, but then i took an arrow to the knee." Because I am!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSDfxde8fSg[/youtube]

Back