Bethesda's Lore Recons

Point out any lore bits you noticed so far in Fallout 4,

-Vertibirds in Pre-war Boston
-Cats not being extinct
-Warning prior to bombings
-Many item/weapon redesigns
-Power armor everywhere

As a cat lover I am glad to see the species has survived, even if the world is fictional and I don't care for the rest.

Regarding warning before the bombing being out of place, there were warnings but at the time because of the various false warnings and drills not everyone took it serious anymore. (check the Fallout bible)

I think the new 10mm pistol is a model from a different manufacturer, not just a redesign.

It's very reasonable that the east coast got warning of what happened a little earlier on the west coast.

There were pre-war synths (assaultrons).

PThe 10mm is the same gun.
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 1,756
I do like the retcon that "Cats aren't extinct". Since Fallout games tend to be localized affairs (nobody in California, Nevada, Massachusetts, or Maryland should really have any idea what's going on in Iowa or Oklahoma after the bombs fall, let alone across the ocean), the most any Fallout game can really say is "there are no cats here" not "there are no cats anywhere."

And the bombs hitting first on the West Coast (because it's closer to China) ought to give the East Coast some warning. ICBMs follow sub-orbital trajectories, and it takes about 90 minutes for something to orbit the earth at a sub-orbital trajectory, since the circumference of the earth is ~40,000 km and the distance from San Francisco to DC is ~4000 km, there should be something like 8 or 9 minutes of warning, assuming a simultaneous launch, and China is launching across the pacific instead of across the north pole (which is how a nuclear exchange with Russia would have went.)

Localized information makes sense, but you'd also have to take in mind survival of the fittest. Bigger, faster wasteland critters would still want to eat cats, even if the humans of the east coast didn't commit cat genocide.

Point out any lore bits you noticed so far in Fallout 4,

-Vertibirds in Pre-war Boston
-Cats not being extinct
-Warning prior to bombings
-Many item/weapon redesigns
-Power armor everywhere

I cannot but think that ~them knowing that these wouldn't seem odd to the bulk fanbase, and being trivially changeable... that they didn't just do it out of spite for the fans who would know better and be irritated by it. Shallow move IMO.
(Concerns about all of these things have been brought up many times on their forums, and I have seen comments from them that suggest they had recently read related posts. Like accusing them of fauning and yes-manning; only to then see Todd announce that the more they can say 'yes' to the fans, the better.) :mad:

Last edited:
-Prewar Androids despite it being pretty much an integral part of the settin that Prewar Robotics wasn't as advanced as to produce small robots, least of all Humanoid ones that seem to even be deployed on the frontlines andcarry out assassinations.
-The Vault 86 FEV.
-A battle in the moon for some reason.
-The Bombing happening during the Morning instead of the afternoon despite everything else in the other games (even FO3) supporting an afternoon bombing...

Last edited:
Cats being extinct was always stupid. Same as horses being extinct. I am happy this shit is gone.

That is one of the few praises I can give to Beth. It didn't make since why certain animals would be extinct. Animals are quite persistent and adaptable, more so then humans. Although I can understand it with the original Fallout's due to the limitations with the games engine at the time.

Cats being extinct was always stupid. Same as horses being extinct. I am happy this shit is gone.

That is one of the few praises I can give to Beth. It didn't make since why certain animals would be extinct. Animals are quite persistent and adaptable, more so then humans. Although I can understand it with the original Fallout's due to the limitations with the games engine at the time.

Horses could make some kind of sense, but cats? Way too tough.

"X is extinct" is just an excuse for a post-apocalyptic setting to not include any of whatever it is. It's a perfectly valid excuse, but when you're presenting this information in the text as something from the mouth of a character you can always just later interpret it as "the character was saying what they believed to be true, they were just mistaken" for stuff like this.

Like it would be weirder if Robert House knew that all cats everywhere on earth were dead than if he were just wrong about that.

Agreed. It was just a regional thing.

It seemed (to me) to be more like an exaggerated 50's assumption ~made manifest; just like a lot of things.. like atom bombs and egg-head science concoctions turning men into monsters. The assumptions being the rule in the altered sci-fi earth. Cats being easy to catch doesn't even need to be accurate ~to be assumed ~to be what happened... in the assumed future of the 1950's.

Back