Betheseda MIGHT be learning from there mistakes

Discussion in 'Fallout 4' started by Jogre, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake. Staff Member Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    I think it's part of the main quest. The first meeting with the Minutemen basically results in you getting power armour.
    I don't know if the one you can get after five minutes (as shown by IGN) is the same one without the quest, though. But basically, if you follow the main quest I think you get power armour very, very soon after leaving the vault.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  2. berlin1945

berlin1945 First time out of the vault

Oct 4, 2015
    Did that when I got Operation: Anchorage. After a few games, I realized it was a bad idea. Game breaking for sure, and you don't work for the awesome. Looks like I am smarter than a Bethesda programmer.

3. Marionettetc

Marionettetc Banned

May 15, 2013
    OP sounds like he's never had contact with the real world. The whole premise of Bethesda "not knowing" what the fans want is so ridiculous, it's not worth giving a nuanced reply to. Bethesda knows exactly what these shitheads want, and it's been giving it to them ever since Oblivion.

4. Marionettetc

Marionettetc Banned

May 15, 2013
    You mean you could savescum your way down to Navarro, because no first level character has survival high enough to avoid the sky high random encounter rate.

5. tekhedd

tekhedd Hoarding ammo IS gameplay

Oct 28, 2008
    As I understand it, you need to have the power armor because modding the power armor (and scavenging power cells) is a core gameplay mechanic, because crafting. And apparently it doesn't suck...

I can see how having power armor from the beginning could be interesting from a gameplay perspecive and is possible, but of course if it becomes the norm in all future fallout games (as it most certainly will) it's just a sign of where things are headed. You pick up things to add to mod it, but that makes me think of "armor shards" in Doom 2.

6. anus_pounder

anus_pounder Shitposter

Nov 2, 2015
    From what I understand, you get to use the power armor in an early story quest and kill a bunch of raiders and a deathclaw. Then the PA runs out of power and its a dead pile of metal until you get more fusion cores. Except another shitposter on the rpgcodex said he got a bunch after a few hours of scavenging around the starter areas anyway.

7. generalissimofurioso

generalissimofurioso The Hole Time Orderite

Jun 17, 2007
    Basically, Power Armor is on limited fuel.

Except if you scrounge, the fuel ain't that limited.

Then, you can get perks that boost that limited fuel farther.

So I assume that eventually, you get a magic pre-war core and can use the Power Armor forever.

8. Dubious Squirrel

Dubious Squirrel First time out of the vault

Nov 10, 2015
    Well this probably is the first Fallout where power armor is somewhat realistic, so "magic power core" is a bit unfair. Now it is a bulky metal shell stuffed with electronics and requiring fuel not just a magic metal skin that fits in protagonists backpack and runs on fairy dust like it was in every Fallout ever. ;)

9. Sn1p3r187

Sn1p3r187 Carolinian Shaolin Monk

Apr 7, 2014
    I don't know. Sounds like Bethesda may make whole new mistakes.

10. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    I think Buxbaum said it best, Power armor is now the Hot Rod of Fallout. Together with it's own gangs ... TUNNEL SNAKES RULE!

I am just saying the design/idea behind chess should be an example for good game design. It is a very popular game and it has been for a very long time. Not without a reason. Not liking it is alright, no problem with that. But like I said, just the general idea of a gameplay that is very easy to learn but difficult to master. Some of the oldest games out there follow this principles, Pokemon for example, or Magic the Gathering, Warhammer, and many more. What gives a game like chess the quality is the fact that you have 16 pieces on each side with different moves, allowing you literaly millions of combinations. And Fallout followed a very similar path - of course not with million of possibilities, Fallout 3 and 4 have lost a lot of depth here, in both gameplay and the narrative/story.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  11. GlowHound

GlowHound Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jun 12, 2008
    There were rumblings of something called a Super Fusion Core. If it's not a myth, that's probably what it is.

Which I'm fine with. Power Armor fuel is supposed to last so long that its user would have to wear it all day, every day for the rest of his life and it would still have years left.

12. Dr Fallout

Dr Fallout Centurion

Aug 17, 2015
    That's true, and it's a shame more and more games are falling from the idea of player freedom.

13. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake. Staff Member Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    Nah, the cores are already described as pre-war.