CD Projekt announcing new RPG tomorrow

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by randir14, May 29, 2012.

1. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    Are we playing two different games? I've played The Witcher 1, reading the entire saga concurrently, only to transfer to Witcher 2 as soon as I was able. In my opinion, Witcher 2 is much closer to the source material, both in tone and writing. The original Witcher borrows a bit too many elements from the novels, making it a bit derivative. But that's a totally YMMV point, dependant on you reading the saga.

Witcher 2 is far grittier than its predecessor. I found its focus on politics, particularly their dirty underbelly, a lot more compelling, elaborate and dark than the rather grey-and-black portrayal in the previous game. It helps that practically every character in Witcher 2 is a scumbag of various degrees, including Geralt himself, and the themes tackled also carry a lot more weight, at least with me. The atmosphere in TW2 is also a *lot* more faithful to the source material, which is low, Slavic fantasy at its finest.

The writing isn't reduced in scope either. It may appear to be, but that's simply a vastly different menu system, which is broken into more branches than the original, where it was more of a topic list, than an actual dialogue system. Having conversational skills and Axii play a factor in the game is also great.

Last, you do realize you can switch QTEs to easy mode, where you have to be an armless cadaver to fail them, right?

2. 13pm

13pm Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Apr 10, 2007
    Tagaziel, I agree with you on many points. So I see no point in debating further. Though I can't help feeleeling differently about this game. Maybe that's because I've been expecting something closer to the first game. Maybe I have to give it another walkthrough.

Let's just hope they'll make a good game. If there's any developer I trust doing a good RPG these days, CDPR is one of the first on the list.

3. Sub-Human

Sub-Human -

May 31, 2011
    Interesting! I've yet to play Witcher, but you guys got me a little more interested. Gotta get tired of Battlefield 3 first though...

4. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    you might be just biased? who knows :P

5. Buxbaum666

Buxbaum666 Heterostructured Nanorod oTO Orderite

Dec 5, 2003
    Everyone is biased. I also found TW2 to be the superior game in every way possible.

6. Ilosar

Ilosar Vault Fossil

Apr 20, 2010
    I prefered TW1's music, myself. More slavic/medieval style and less rock, especially during fights. Also less gratuitous swearing and references to sex (seriously, listening to the Dwarves in Act 2 was cringe-inducing) But yeah otherwise the sequel trumps the first game.

As for Cyberpunk (guess they wanted to be crystal clear about what the game was, eh?), it seems interesting, but no way to judge until we get details.

7. mobucks

mobucks i get such a kick out of myself Orderite

May 22, 2010
    I could'nt play TW2. Something really irked me about the interface used with the mouse/keyboard. If I can find some website with button mappings from the console versions, I'll give it another go on my PS3 pad.

As for this game, well everyone already sang CDPR praises, which I can only echo, other than my gripes with TW2s consolized interface.

Whats weird to me is, punk was a late 70s-early 90s thing. Punk is dead IMO. That or I'm out of the cultural loop.

8. TorontoReign

TorontoReign Level 27 Wizard Staff Member Moderator

Apr 1, 2005

Same here. I had issues with the controls, so I got too frustrated. Makes me wish for one of those keyboard overlays.

9. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    fair enough.

I wish I would not be such a bum without money - education is so fucking expensive. Because The Witcher 2 is still on my to-do-list.

Hell yes TW1 had one of the best soundtracks in a long time when it comes to RPGs - I think personaly it gets only beaten by Baldurs Gate 2 and Throne of Baal. Didnt they changed the composer for TW2? If yes ... whhhhyyyyyy ... he was good!

some of my favourites which I even keep on my MP3 player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKv0rtgI7mw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAK8WttHQWw

10. mobucks

mobucks i get such a kick out of myself Orderite

May 22, 2010
    So to awnser my question: Why cyberpunk? Well I google imaged cyber-emo, the contemporary solution, and, well, enjoy.
    [spoiler:2306a1f038] [/spoiler:2306a1f038]

11. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    I really hate that word "emo" which they gave people that most of the time have serious problems.

12. TorontoReign

TorontoReign Level 27 Wizard Staff Member Moderator

Apr 1, 2005

Quit being emo. :P

13. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
  14. Kyuu

Kyuu Insert Awesome Title Here

Jul 19, 2007
    I guess you missed this part of the announcement:
    Although, I guess that is a bit ambiguous in that it doesn't exactly specify if there will simply be pre made characters for each class or whether or there will be any sort of character customization. Ultimately, I'm cool with it either way. Character customization is nice but necessary for a good RPG experience, and premades have their own advantages. It's rather difficult to infuse a custom character with real personality, and Geralt as a character was one of the best things about the Witcher, I think.

15. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    Don't you dare suggest castrating Sapkowski's dwarves! Gratuitous swearing, sex references and completely offensive behaviour are what the dwarves are all about! That and kicking ass, while being constantly underappreciated by the damn humans.

16. Kyuu

Kyuu Insert Awesome Title Here

Jul 19, 2007
    This. Also, overall I actually found Witcher 2 to be rather undersexualized in relation to Witcher 1 (way fewer opportunities for Geralt to score). Except in the case of actually showing nudity in-game, but the nudity probably wouldn't have looked great with Witcher 1's engine anyway.

17. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    I think nudity never really looks good in a game. It simply doesnt ... work for me.

Hence why I think Witcher 1 was better with that. Hand drawn (more or less) taro-cards. That had some style. But thats me.

18. Guiltyofbeingtrite

Guiltyofbeingtrite Vault Dweller

Oct 13, 2008
    Punk is very much alive, I'd say, but I live in a city (Washington) that's clung to it pretty hard since the beginning. I think you'll see less of the leather jackets and mohawks the screenshot indicates and much more of the politically motivated, anarchist, DIY ethos punks. It's just matured quite a bit.

19. Buxbaum666

Buxbaum666 Heterostructured Nanorod oTO Orderite

Dec 5, 2003
    This discussion is completely off-topic. We're talking about a cyberpunk game here.

20. SmartCheetah

SmartCheetah It Wandered In From the Wastes

Feb 23, 2009
    Meow, you're totally right! I missed that part somehow, but now after watching some conference video I'm even more enthiusiastic and hyped. They confirmed that you will play your own, customized character instead of premade one. Lovely! <3