Chris Avellone on Fallout 3

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Brother None, Jul 1, 2013.

1. woo1108

woo1108 Vault Senior Citizen

Sep 27, 2012
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7USjNHHfb6M?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0"></iframe>
    How is this possible?

2. Kyuu

Kyuu Insert Awesome Title Here

Jul 19, 2007
    Ever since watching MCA struggle with the simplest things while playing Arcanum, I have been unable to comprehend how he has much of a head for game design. He can't even figure out stuff that I grasped immediately while watching him play (I haven't played Arcanum before either).

Then there's this. He praises Bethesda for putting a treasure chest at a dead end? Really? Yeah, that's just amazing design right there. Never seen it before, either. I guess it could be simple PR bullshit, but then again it might not.

3. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009
    As long as he keeps doing stuff like Dead Money etc. I don't give a shit how he plays games in his personal time.

4. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    Chris Avellone is a writer and creative director. He's not a designer and he's the first to admit he's not much of one either.

5. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Yes. Also, this may come as a shock to many fans/gamers, but game designers very often barely have time to play video games and aren't always any good at them.

6. valcik

valcik So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Dec 20, 2008
    Besides, he was forced to play the game with a combat system that sucks big time. Who can blame him if he don't enjoy it?

7. JimTheDinosaur

JimTheDinosaur Vault Dweller
    Modder

Mar 17, 2013
    Yeah, he probably didn't enjoy Torment either.

8. AskWazzup

AskWazzup Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Aug 21, 2008
    Containers and boxes full of spoons and randomly generated junk that nobody wants to find. Can't fathom how some people were able to put in over a hundred hours of gameplay in that thing. The stupidity of some things were on the threshold of being painful. :roll:

9. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    loot is loot, even if its bad loot.

10. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    What else are you supposed to do in an RPG other than combat and looting? I think Bethesda nailed it - loot and combat. Nothing else. Nope.

11. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Well, there's also walking.

12. shihonage

shihonage Made in USSR

May 8, 2007
    Walking simulation is big these days. Why walk in a MMO where you're surrounded by other people, when you can walk in long stretches of barren filler-space, surrounded by two-bit NPCs?

That's where the fun is!

13. Dukeanumberone

Dukeanumberone It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 11, 2012
    Says who? Just because you and anyone else uses those standards to judge a games value doesn't necessarily mean he does. I love how anything remotely positively said about FO3 is scrutinized and put under a microscope for "hidden" clues or meanings. What is telling is that he wasn't prompted with anything regarding FALLOUT prior to the question. What he was asked was, "AoH: Taking a step away from recent developments, what would you say is your favorite ‘modern’ (post-2005) Role-Playing Game and why? Which are your favorite ‘modern’ characters?"
    Not what do you think of FALLOUT 3 ?

How is he refusing ? If he was asked point blank, what he thought of those elements and refused to answer, THAT would be refusing. If that has happened I'd like a link to it.

Really? Who forced him to play the game?

14. valcik

valcik So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Dec 20, 2008
  15. Jeremiah

Jeremiah First time out of the vault

Jun 5, 2010
    Hey, that is my comment. (Haven't been here for years except reading the occasional blog post thread, as I do follow the blog.)

16. Tall_Paul

Tall_Paul First time out of the vault

Jun 9, 2013
    I don't get why everyone is hating on Fallout 3 here. It's a really fun game! :(

17. shihonage

shihonage Made in USSR

May 8, 2007
    Lurk more.

18. UncannyGarlic

UncannyGarlic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 6, 2008
    Which is one of my big problems with Bethesda games. I still don't get the appeal of wandering around aimlessly when there really isn't much interesting to find.

People hate on Fallout 3 largely because it takes such huge liberties with the Fallout setting. I personally have a bigger problem with how often the game is held up as great when it's a mediocre game in all but scope.

19. woo1108

woo1108 Vault Senior Citizen

Sep 27, 2012
    other shitty games also fun too
    but nobody says it's good game.