Do we go mobile?

Discussion in 'Future Fallout Game Discussion' started by DarthBartus, Jun 11, 2013.

1. DarthBartus

DarthBartus It Wandered In From the Wastes

Mar 11, 2011
    I heard the news about Deus Ex: The Fall, and altough this iOS bullshit saddens me greatly, it also got me thinking. Is, in case of Fallout, going mobile a way to go?

FPS, third person shooters, stealth games, etc will never translate well to touchscreen. It's simply impossible, due to the nature of control method itself. But you know what I could see working really well in touchscreen devices? A top-down, turn-based RPG or strategy/tactics game, like XCOM. Or FOT. Or Fallout.

What do you guys think, is the chance, that Beth outsources a mobile Fallout game to someone our only hope of getting a proper Fallout game?

2. pyroD

pyroD Still Mildly Glowing

Aug 26, 2012
    A new one I probably wouldn't look forward to much. But I.ve always wanted to play the classics in the palm of my hand. Kinda like all the nintendo emulators.

3. ludisonmandela

ludisonmandela First time out of the vault

Jun 13, 2013
    it would be full out crap if some kind of fallout were released for ios

4. Sub-Human

Sub-Human -

May 31, 2011
    People who like turn-based games and old-school RPGs don't play on their mobiles. Besides, a game on the iOS won't nearly be as complex as one for Windows or the consoles.

5. shihonage

shihonage Made in USSR

May 8, 2007
    Jeff Vogel's released some of his games on iPad without dumbing them down.

6. SnapSlav

SnapSlav NMA's local DotA fanatic

Jul 1, 2012
    Could it be done? Yes.
    Could it be done WELL? Yes.
    Is Bethesda the kind of company that we can... Ya know, the question isn't even worth finishing. NO!!!

I don't see any reason for touchscreen technology to limit classic Fallout gameplay in any way, but that's all irrelevant, because it's a matter of Bethesda making the call. Given their track record, I just don't see that happening. Could the originals be given re-releases (official iOS versions, unlike the personal project posted elsewhere on this site, which is entirely unofficial) ad ported over successfully, thus reaching even more gamers? Absolutely. But I don't see it happening.

7. CthuluIsSpy

CthuluIsSpy A Smooth-Skin

Dec 20, 2011
    No, we should not.

It probably will though :(

8. Atomic Postman

Atomic Postman Vault Fossil

Mar 16, 2013
    Eugh, God no.

Mobile gaming is cancer to the entire industry.

I can imagine it now:

"PAY £12.99 FOR THE PLATINUM ENERGY WEAPONS PACK!
    INCLUDES:
    *PLASMA RIFLE
    *PLASMA CASTER
    *LASER RIFLE
    *LASER PISTOL
    *SPECIAL GOLDEN PLATED LASER RIFLE THAT DOES 1,000,000 DAMAGE!"

9. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    "A pack of frie geckos wiped up your party, do you want to purchase revival and nuke tokens to revive you and your people and win the battle inmediately? they are only 5 dollars each"

10. Atomic Postman

Atomic Postman Vault Fossil

Mar 16, 2013
    "It seems you made a bad choice and The Small Trader town ended up being destroyed!

Purchase the good ending for £10.00!"

11. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
  12. pyroD

Aug 26, 2012
    I've been playing quite a bit of Crazy Tribes lately on my Iphone

13. The Sixth Ranger

The Sixth Ranger It Wandered In From the Wastes

Mar 10, 2013
    Mobile gaming is casual gaming. Transitioning an RPG to a mobile phone is a difficult task, but it could be done.

14. pyroD

Aug 26, 2012
  15. mobucks

mobucks i get such a kick out of myself Orderite

May 22, 2010
    I think you could slap a classic feeling RPG on a tablet no problem. I was saying the same thing on these forums years ago. It will happen.

( I don't own a tablet but still)

16. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    The only problem lies with the controls of the game. IMO, the touch screen is too slow / unprecise and you need huge buttons everywhere. If you can get around this, any genre can be possible.

Like, just check out the mobile version of Minecraft. I find it way too annoying to build anything in that one. Even simple stuff takes ages, because it is a lot harder to get to the right spot with your character, etc.

Same with the Cthulhu game I've linked above. The controls on the tablet aren't bad, but playing it on the computer is just so much smoother and faster, it's crazy.

Long story short... If you can get good controls into your tablet game, then every game can work on a tablet.

17. Akratus

Akratus Bleep bloop.

May 14, 2011
    We don't go mobile. We go tropical.

18. fred2

fred2 Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Nov 2, 2013
    Exactly. It already happens, the Baulders gate remake(and new title?) should work on tablets as well.

I think this is a good news to anyone who likes the good ol' RPGs, with that being said, I highlly doubt that FO4 will be a type of game that will work well on a tablet.

19. yarga

yarga First time out of the vault

Jul 19, 2004
    I wish I had a Ron-Swanson-esque response to this, I'm not nearly as diehard as Nick Offerman's character. But if it can't be opened up and fixed with a soldering gun and needlenose pliers, and if lifting it doesn't risk rupture and cause ladies' to swoon at my prowess, then I want no part of it.