Do we go mobile?

DarthBartus

It Wandered In From the Wastes
I heard the news about Deus Ex: The Fall, and altough this iOS bullshit saddens me greatly, it also got me thinking. Is, in case of Fallout, going mobile a way to go?

FPS, third person shooters, stealth games, etc will never translate well to touchscreen. It's simply impossible, due to the nature of control method itself. But you know what I could see working really well in touchscreen devices? A top-down, turn-based RPG or strategy/tactics game, like XCOM. Or FOT. Or Fallout.

What do you guys think, is the chance, that Beth outsources a mobile Fallout game to someone our only hope of getting a proper Fallout game?

A new one I probably wouldn't look forward to much. But I.ve always wanted to play the classics in the palm of my hand. Kinda like all the nintendo emulators.

People who like turn-based games and old-school RPGs don't play on their mobiles. Besides, a game on the iOS won't nearly be as complex as one for Windows or the consoles.

Could it be done? Yes.
Could it be done WELL? Yes.
Is Bethesda the kind of company that we can... Ya know, the question isn't even worth finishing. NO!!!

I don't see any reason for touchscreen technology to limit classic Fallout gameplay in any way, but that's all irrelevant, because it's a matter of Bethesda making the call. Given their track record, I just don't see that happening. Could the originals be given re-releases (official iOS versions, unlike the personal project posted elsewhere on this site, which is entirely unofficial) ad ported over successfully, thus reaching even more gamers? Absolutely. But I don't see it happening.

Eugh, God no.

Mobile gaming is cancer to the entire industry.

I can imagine it now:

"PAY £12.99 FOR THE PLATINUM ENERGY WEAPONS PACK!
INCLUDES:
*PLASMA RIFLE
*PLASMA CASTER
*LASER RIFLE
*LASER PISTOL
*SPECIAL GOLDEN PLATED LASER RIFLE THAT DOES 1,000,000 DAMAGE!"

"A pack of frie geckos wiped up your party, do you want to purchase revival and nuke tokens to revive you and your people and win the battle inmediately? they are only 5 dollars each"

"It seems you made a bad choice and The Small Trader town ended up being destroyed!

Purchase the good ending for £10.00!"

I think you could slap a classic feeling RPG on a tablet no problem. I was saying the same thing on these forums years ago. It will happen.

( I don't own a tablet but still)

The only problem lies with the controls of the game. IMO, the touch screen is too slow / unprecise and you need huge buttons everywhere. If you can get around this, any genre can be possible.

Like, just check out the mobile version of Minecraft. I find it way too annoying to build anything in that one. Even simple stuff takes ages, because it is a lot harder to get to the right spot with your character, etc.

Same with the Cthulhu game I've linked above. The controls on the tablet aren't bad, but playing it on the computer is just so much smoother and faster, it's crazy.

Long story short... If you can get good controls into your tablet game, then every game can work on a tablet.

mobucks said:
I think you could slap a classic feeling RPG on a tablet no problem. I was saying the same thing on these forums years ago. It will happen.
Exactly. It already happens, the Baulders gate remake(and new title?) should work on tablets as well.

I think this is a good news to anyone who likes the good ol' RPGs, with that being said, I highlly doubt that FO4 will be a type of game that will work well on a tablet.

I wish I had a Ron-Swanson-esque response to this, I'm not nearly as diehard as Nick Offerman's character. But if it can't be opened up and fixed with a soldering gun and needlenose pliers, and if lifting it doesn't risk rupture and cause ladies' to swoon at my prowess, then I want no part of it.

Back