Do you think it's perfectly okay to dismiss Fallout 3...

Discussion in 'Fallout: New Vegas Discussion' started by Quoth, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Ultraviolet

Ultraviolet First time out of the vault

Jul 4, 2010
    See this is the thing. I don't care what Fallout is supposed to have. This feeling probably comes from the fact that I never played Fallout 1/2. So I was perfectly happy and enamored with Fallout 3. I do wish they'd added more voice actors and I wish there had been more dialog options and story options, but I still love it.

Thanks for the link to the Fallout 2 music. Will definitely have to give that a listen. I listen to "Seriously Sinatra" on XM. This morning they played a different cover of "Easy Living" I hadn't heard before. Love that station.

I guess I was expecting more from the Mr. Vegas radio station. But I can understand that they probably couldn't get the rights to a lot of songs that would have fit well into New Vegas. "Luck Be a Lady Tonight" would have been perfect.

One of these days I will go back and play Fallout 1/2 and it will probably change my mind about everything. Or not. :)

2. Stanislao Moulinsky

Stanislao Moulinsky Vault Fossil

Jul 16, 2009
    I thought you were directly comparing the two games. And I read too many times people trying to defend the flaws of Game A by saying that Game B has flaws too.

3. Tworken

Tworken First time out of the vault

Dec 13, 2010
    Yes I know how you feel. However, it's nice to see some Fallout 3 fans sticking to their guns in this thread. I thought it was fantastic myself.

4. vanzizzle

vanzizzle It Wandered In From the Wastes

Feb 15, 2010
    I thought Fallout 3 was great. Although, I didn't play F1 and 2 until after.

Admittedly, I probably would have hated Fallout 3 if I played the latter first.

Fallout 3. Good game. Shouldn't be dismissed just because it didn't stand up to the expectations of people that played FO1 and 2.

5. AWildmann

AWildmann It Wandered In From the Wastes

Sep 12, 2010
    I still don't know how the hell someone would say FO3 was a good game. Not gonna rant about it belong to Bethesda or anything.

Its just that the engine is so bad, graphics so dead, and voice acting so weird, that I can't see how the hell someone would say that its a good game, compared to so many other games that were launched with it.

There are so many good and WAAAY better games out there that I seriously don't believe someone actually likes it.

6. Faceless Stranger

Faceless Stranger Board Drifter

Aug 19, 2010
    It's not that FO3 is a terrible game, it's that it's a terrible Fallout game. It's good for a romp around a wasteland, not much else (story, dialogue, quests, etc.)

7. Idiotfool

Idiotfool Still Mildly Glowing

Apr 12, 2007
    I found FO3 to be an okay game with a terrible ending. But, I... acquired it for free. If I had paid for it, I'd rank it lower.

Still, I found the graphics to be okay, the gameplay okay, and the quests okay. Dialog was poor, but better than the 10 minutes I had played of Oblivion. Everything is done better in New. Vegas, IMO.

8. AWildmann

Sep 12, 2010
    Hell, I might even risk say that I had more fun with Oblivion, and its leveling system sucked terribly.

9. Faceless Stranger

Faceless Stranger Board Drifter

Aug 19, 2010
    Just so you know for future reference. The mods and admins don't like piracy. So I'd keep it on the down-low.

10. Diomedes20

Diomedes20 First time out of the vault

Oct 17, 2010
    The only thing that's better in fallout 3 is the Ron Pearlman introduction, because I was honestly disappointed when I first heard the one in FONV

11. Korin

Korin So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Admin

Aug 6, 2010
    I played Fallout 3 first and then Fallout 1/2 after. I still love Fallout 3 and didn't find the first ones that impressive. It's all perspective. If I'd played them 10 years ago it would probably be different.

12. AWildmann

Sep 12, 2010
    Well depends on your taste. Since I love old games I felt way more fun with FO1 and 2 than FO3.

13. Pjotr84

Pjotr84 First time out of the vault

Jul 14, 2009
    That's better.

14. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    I first Played FO3 and liked it a lot, but then I played FO2 and realized how inferior FO3 was compared to the original games (that were made in the late 90's) I like Fallout New Vegas marginaly more than FO2.
    Anyone that says that FO2 isn't an impressive game is probably someone that just wants to have things to shoot at. I play all kinds of games, except sports games.

15. ramessesjones

ramessesjones It Wandered In From the Wastes

Oct 27, 2010
    Fallout and Falllout 2 are niche games designed for a fairly specific audience. Fallout 3 is a big budget mainstream game designed for broad appeal. New Vegas is balance of the two.

I can understand why some people would prefer Fallout 3, they are typically people that love to explore, kill and loot and don't really care if the story and game world surrounding their opportunities to do so don't make a lick of sense. This group of players is generally a completely different group of people than those who enjoyed the pen and paper inspired Fallout and Fallout 2 and care more about writing, design, and role playing and make up the majority of this board. Having played through New Vegas a few times now, its really impressive how well it was able to balance its appeal to these two groups of players, its not a simple trick and I can't think of many games that have managed to do it.

16. Millim

Millim Half-way Through My Half-life
    Orderite

Oct 13, 2010
    Fallout 3 is still a great game in my opinion and I didn't play F1&2 till afterwords. However great F3 is, I treat it as a spin-off.
    The same as i treat NV a spin off. But at the same time, I consider both seqals because they don't directly follow on and contain differn't characters but same overall story.

But on topic, NV is the better of two games, more choices and better ending

17. poltergeist

poltergeist First time out of the vault

Jan 18, 2011
    I like New Vegas much better than FO3. There's something about FO3 I find off-putting, but I can't quite say what. There's just something about it that unsettles me.

18. AWildmann

Sep 12, 2010
    I think it feels way too random.

Grow in the vault, ok.
    Now go after you father, sure.
    Now you see the random shit that the wasteland is, there's a town with a bomb in the middle, a gang who drinks blood, a cavern with children only, a battle ship being used as a town, and the looks of the wasteland is just wreck, there's no trace of road (I know they don't last forever, but there should be a trace of where it used to be).

These on top of my head, but I too remember seeing a lot of things that pissed me off in the game. Hell, whenever I heard a super mutant talking I had some kind of pain in my head, Jesus was that voice actor dumb. Why can't they talk like Marcus?

19. LinkPain

LinkPain Mildly Dipped

Jan 18, 2011
    Go on Wikipedia for Fallout 3 . Too bad i didn't ...
    Watching Monty Python is more sane .

I played over 100 times F1 and F2 (and again with the new Restoration) , only once did i play F3 without any DLC . Call me a hardcore geek but i am not totally like that . I like the new 3d surround , i love it because of how sneak was implemented . It feels like sneaking finally . And cinematic kills . But that's it , nothing to keep me playing except that .

I always felt like imbecile or at least playing Fallout 3 always made me think i am that . Story is just plain bad , talking is even worse . When i see faqs that tell you to lower charisma to 1 it makes me cry , but i don't blame them because that's what they saw in F3 and it applies . Tarr made that script himself . Now , why is goddamn Megaton town population 15 people at best ? They left because of Moira ... Moira...do i need to continue .
    Every location except Dunwich was almost the same boring shoot kill and don't ask any questions (Dunwich is just kill it all but it is MORE INTERESTING if you read Lovercraft) . A few spots were "hey there's some people there ! how many ? 4-6 ! hurray let's hit it" , and then you realize they can talk less than a guinea pig . Citadel was kinda fun , name at least . Hell there were more mutants and destroyed buildings than anything else . Like it bombed when you got out of Vault .
    When i saw on youtube unarmed killing deathclaw ! with such a low unarmed skill !!! Yeah it's possible in games before but not retardedly easy like that . And i can't kill any tunnel snake inside of a Vault , pathetic . I reloaded just to listen Butch skull cracking . VATS in F3 is dumb to use . New Vegas ? Hell no , finally i need skill point , not my mouse pointer clicking skill . Also crippled torso ? And it MOVES ?! Ok , i guess spine isn't such a big deal .
    Armor with + or - ... hello ? Recon on sneak ok , big friggin powered on strength ok . But perception on cowboy hat or something like that is just plain stupid .
    And finally end boss . Lol , just plain lol . Something died in me at that time . Especially because i was enraged on scoring in a magazine in my country , 93% , hardcore guy said it's the best Fallout . After half an hour play . New Vegas got 90% and Dragon Age 84% , you gotta hate that son of a b---
    Of course he got a lot of swearing on forum because of that subjective scoring , lucky i wasn't the only one who was ranting . But enough of that . My play of F3 was bad and it will always be like that . It' simple why , i played much better FPS games . Only a couple of real Fallout games .

There are tons of games better than Fallout 3 which are FPS based , meaning 3d engine isn't the only thing necessary to make a game or a movie or anything worthy of paying attention too much besides graphic . And that 3d wasn't so good anyway .

My advice :
    Play Mass Effect 2 (1 is more rpg based) , Crysis , STALKER , Singularity , Bioshock . Much more fun there instead of Fallout 3 .
    And play New Vegas if you can't or never will want to play first 2 games . Pass on F3 , no point to play it now that Vegas is here .
    Story will go on no matter what Bethesda thinks is cannon for them . Washington will always be a barren uninteresting rock .
    And don't tell me how Fallout 3 isn't "only FPS" . I've been down that ugly road , if there was anything to keep me on it i would play it more because i prefer "true" RPGs more . Bethesda definitely missed that one .

My first post and im already ranting heh .

EDIT: Forgot to mention , Borderlands > Fallout 3

20. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    I am not sure if they have been strictly niche games as I think at that time they have been simply role playing games and in that time the definition of RPGs was a bit more thight compared to today. For the company F1 and F2 have been quite succesfull titles and thats all what matters I think.