Does the super sledge make any sense?

NMLevesque

Commie Ghost
It has to be timed otherwise it wouldn't accomplish anything in terms of amplifying its affect. If the blowback follows the arc of the strike then it would cause all kinds of wrist strain, when its head bounces back in accordance with the extra force provided by the mechanism. Note how it would contribute to the rate of change of acceleration, i.e deceleration (more on this in a moment). It also mentions a shock damper, whatever that may be, but unless there's some kind of rotational step I don't see how it would avoid this issue.

That being said does it actually make physical sense? Would this actually improve the effectiveness of a sledgehammer? The point of any kinetic weapon is to concentrate output from a more diffuse input. To spread out the force applied to you, and apply it to a much smaller area of your enemy. A human body can only engage so many muscles at one time, and each has their own limitations, in part due to the other aspects of anatomy (ligaments, tendons, whatever). I reckon f every involved part of the user can withstand more force than they are generating--or otherwise experiencing as a result of the attack (the motion and its impact), then a super sledge would make a difference. So the question is how much of a difference if any? I have no idea how to actually calculate this kind of thing. Can anyone more learned chime in?

Summoning @Hassknecht to see if he can place this in the proper section.

The Super Sledge lore says it was built by the Brotherhood of Steel. So it makes sense it was designed to be used by people in Power Armor.
And I think the Brotherhood made it to knock enemies back easier, probably to avoid a melee soldier to be swarmed in close combat (It's description says: "Includes a kinetic energy storage device to increase knockback" and the weapon does have the Knockback weapon perk).

Erm... Do you really need to ask? The games are the source:
5YpfqdL.jpg

OG Super Sledge releases extra kinetic force when it hits someone by the use of electromagnetic pulses and uses up microfusion cells, FO4 Superseldge is dumb and would probably break your wrists.

OG Super Sledge releases extra kinetic force when it hits someone by the use of electromagnetic pulses and uses up microfusion cells, FO4 Superseldge is dumb and would probably break your wrists.
Yeah... 4's just looks like someone added wires on top of a normal sledgehammer and cobbled the rest together.

How did the design go from this
latest
to that?

latest

I don't understand how the Fallout 3 one is supposed to work. :confused:

By reading the description and seeing the icon of the classic games one, I have a pretty good idea how it actually works.

Newtons third law, every action has an opposite and equal reaction.

Thus, hitting someone across the screen like a baseball bat hitting a ball should throw your character across the screen, if not cripple his arms.

So it doesn't make much sense unless you apply literal magic to it.

The design of the Super Sledge and Power Fists were obviously meant to be equipped onto Power Armor, as to already make the formidable weapon increase in power output by the very suit's ability to enhance the user's strength, which with a suit like that, capable of absorbing shock, stress and recoil, would easily be able to use both devices without any real drawbacks (both Fallout 1 and 2 have the Power Fist and Super Sledge use energy cells, so it stands to reason that the Power Fist also unleashes a powerful blast of energy upon contact after enough sufficient kinetic force hits the target, just doesn't send the enemy flying within the game).

In terms of design, it makes sense, just needs a device to release said charge, a pin or pad to start the entire thing (the head of the hammer you're using to slam into targets), the only thing that's fallout-y about it is the energy it's unleashing. The only thing I can think of that would send a human being flying backwards would be having an explosive cartridge in the hammer, or some powerful, pressurized gas.

@Risewild I think F3's design is supposed to be a...hydraulic piston or something? You hit them and the head sinks back only to slam outward again? Hell if I know. They were really fucking lazy with the animation of the weapon.

Last edited:
Thanks The Dutch Ghost, I forgot Hass is on holidays or something >_>.

@Risewild I think F3's design is supposed to be a...hydraulic piston or something? You hit them and the head sinks back only to slam outward again? Hell if I know. They were really fucking lazy with the animation of the weapon.
But the problem is that ingame IIRC the model doesn't have any movable parts, so you actually hit and it doesn't move. Since it is a 3D game, you can see the weapon in action and it just seems to behave like a normal sledgehammer, not a high tech weapon of crushing destruction.
Also the ridiculous amount of screws in ridiculous places... Ugh... Look at these things:
ewtya6E.png

Screws placed like that in a weapon that is supposed to hit the way it does would be a mess. The impact strength would put those screws in a lot of pressure and wouldn't take much to make them loose just by using the weapon the way it is supposed to be used (screws that go this way: " | " do not work well in impact that goes this way: " ---" ). Also have the head being a different part and attached to the handle by screws is bad news. There is a reason real Sledgehammers have a handle that goes through the hammer head and not nailed or screwed to it. It is so you won't end up hit in the face with a flying sledgehammer head when you just hammered something.

Manufactured by is not invented by, but I would chalk up the redesign to the BoS adapting it further for combat. Hence the screws and loss of sleekness.

Back