Dragon Age II: now more like Mass Effect 2

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Brother None, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Finally we'll have fully voiced PCs like the gaming press was whining for!

And all we had to sacrifice was interesting backgrounds and a choice of which race to play so you can play some guy called Hawke who wants to Rise to Power! AWESUM ITS JUST LAIK MAS EFECT!!!

BioWare. BioWare never changes.

Website

Moar dynamic combat! Fuck RTwP, it's too slow!

2. Leon

Leon A Smooth-Skin

Oct 10, 2008
    Can't say that I really care. The combat in DA:O bored me and the different origins all lead to (mostly) the same dredge anyways.

3. matthewfarmery

matthewfarmery It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jun 26, 2010
    they made a lot of mistakes with DA:O, especially the 1.3 patch, any word on a 1.4? but the PC version, they could have improved a lot, but they didn't, quite a few flaws, and the extra content is a joke, if this becomes even more dumbed down, and it somewhat sounds like it, another game to write off, :( the first one, wasn't bad, but I was seriously disappointed compared to BG 1 and 2, I not played ME 1 and 2, I seen demos of both game, but 2 was seriously changed in favour of consoles, got a bad feeling, DA 2 will be more dumbed down, because the consoles didn't / can't handle the game too well, which means the PC version will be even more dumbed down then the original, :(

shame, bioware have lost their touch, used to be good, but I have my doubts about them now, so much for we have a good track record of supporting games, when DA 1 1.3 did a lot of damage, and they not come out with a 1.4, not tried the expansion, but I read mixed reviews about that too, very disappointing :(

4. The Dopamine Cleric

The Dopamine Cleric ((<i>)) Orderite

Nov 3, 2007
    Bioware was always better at linear gameplay anyways.

The only sad part is the fact that bioware was the biggest RPG developer left.

5. Nark

Nark Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 6, 2008
    BioWare and Bethesda are just shit now anyway.
    They haven't made a properly good game in a long time.

Though I guess BioWare has always been the lesser of the two evils, at least they don't go round raping franchises (I should add: except their own).

6. OakTable

OakTable Vault Senior Citizen

Nov 26, 2009
    Mass Effect 2 with Swords.

7. rcorporon

rcorporon So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Orderite

Jan 31, 2008
    I love the original story... get this:

You start as a penniless waif, and rise up to be the saviour of the land (taken from a Kotaku story).

Original! Thrilling!

Really though, I'm really starting to dislike the gaming industry.

8. Guiltyofbeingtrite

Guiltyofbeingtrite Vault Dweller

Oct 13, 2008
    I haven't played DA but was going to grab it but have played a lot of ME and ME2. How does the switch from DA1 to 2 relate to the switch from ME to ME2.

While I was upset with a lot of what ME2 did, 95% of the game building your team, ditching weapon mods, ruining the Citadel, I felt that the character creation/Shepherd him/herself wasn't altered THAT much.

9. Nark

Dec 6, 2008
    Only starting?

I've been hating it for years.

10. Blackfang

Blackfang First time out of the vault

Jun 21, 2010
    A single background sure is disappointing, still, that can make a good story as well. And the story in ME-s was very good IMO.

That "more dynamic combat" thing is more troubling, but it's too early to say anything. They could mean any number of changes by such a statement, including, only a few barely-noticeable ones.

11. Ulysses

Ulysses It Wandered In From the Wastes

Oct 31, 2008
    Love the direction games are taking. But...it might be somewhat interesting to play. Not sure what the hell 'dynamic' combat could be (maybe enemies adapt to your class or something along those lines)

12. SerbianWarrior

SerbianWarrior It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jun 30, 2010
    Meh,screw you guys,im going to play some DA:O :D
    Wait what?
    How can it be more like ME 2?
    ME 2 WITH the dlc and exclusive content had say at most, 15 (unique) (they are all unique,but there are only 15, its more like a fucking third person shooter, then an rpg game) weapons, 5-6 types of armor...and wait...oh yeah, a leveling system that would offend a 2 year old child...
    ME 2 is one of the biggest fuck ups in gaming history...ever.
    Yeah,ok,ok the inventory system in ME 1 was obnoxious, the mako sucked, you had skills that you would never put skills into....
    But still, as an RPG game ME 1 fucks ME 2 the entire night,only to leave 10 dollars on the night table and sneak out in the morning.

13. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    So true my friend...

14. fedaykin

fedaykin Vault Fossil

Jul 15, 2007
    ...and nothing of value was lost.

15. Nark

Dec 6, 2008

16. x'il

x'il Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Mar 3, 2009
    So, the last attempt of Bioware to make a real rpg saga with DA goes down the action/dumbing down drain... no surprise there.

17. Multidirectional

Multidirectional Mildly Dipped

Sep 12, 2008
    I'm a bit surprised actually, considering DA sold really good. But not that I care much, I was bored to death by the first one and I tried to get into it three times, seeing how many people found it to be good. Could never play more than few hours though. And I always hated RTwP combat, maybe I just suck at it but whenever I play the game with RTwP system combat feels like a clusterfuck to me.
    I'd rather play Mass Effect.

18. Batcha

Batcha First time out of the vault

Jan 15, 2010
    Wow, some of the comments in this thread are sad really...

Couldnt be arsed with reading the details about DA2, but this is most likely a good thing.
    I was really surprised how well ME2 managed to (mostly) improve the positive aspects of ME1, and reduce the negative ones, resulting in one damn good product.
    Not sure how that will apply to DA gameplay tho, but after playing ME2, im confident people at Bioware know what they're doing and will take steps in the right direction.

19. rcorporon

rcorporon So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Orderite

Jan 31, 2008
    So, you don't read the information, and yet feel like calling us "sad?"

As for ME2, it's a good action game, but it isn't an RPG. That's the problem most of the people here had with it.

20. Batcha

Batcha First time out of the vault

Jan 15, 2010
    I didnt mean it to sound offensive, and havent called people "sad", but reffered to some of the comments.

We can talk about personal preferences, but making computer games is what people at Bioware do for a living.
    I was sceptical about ME2, especially because the majority of the games i like are infact computer RPGs, and yet it turned out i was wrong.
    ME2 felt, not just to me, what ME should have been in the first place, especially because i didnt consider ME1 that convincing in the rpg department. (The plot is different topic ofc, with it being a trilogy)

Now im not saying the changes to DA2 will necessarily proove to be great, its a different game than ME after all..
    I believe they will, but i might be wrong...
    But you have to agree it took guts to move away from the tried and tested method and make ME2 different, aswell as good product vision to make it deliver the way it did.

That being said, maybe people should wait to try out the game before they start criticizing the developers.

Yeah, multiple available begginings are a nice thing, but that was the purpose of Origins after all.

And yeah, "you start as a penniless waif, and rise up to be the saviour of the land" sounds quite cheap, but you can make even F1 sound that way if you like... "start off as some chum from the vault and ends up saving the wasteland by destroying the super mutant leader and their production facilty".

Even the most typical idea on paper can result in a great product if done in a creative and professional way. ME2 is a pretty good example of that imo :wink: