Dragon Age II: now more like Mass Effect 2

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Brother None, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    Boy does the combat look shit ... : /

Remembers me always to some kind of strange MMO. And now that I see it again it also already bothered me in Dragonage Origins that "weapons" and other "stuff" is "glued" on the back of the player floating round in mid air. Wizards never looked more ridiculous that way.

But well Dragon Age died for me anyway. To much lulziness all around.

2. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
  3. Atomkilla

Atomkilla Hazel Hegemon oTO Orderite

Dec 26, 2010
    Why is this game scoring so highly?

4. Brother None

Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Highly? This is the lowest-scoring BioWare game in recent memory.

5. generalissimofurioso

generalissimofurioso The Hole Time Orderite

Jun 17, 2007
    Yeah, remember that all games are rated on a scale from good to excellent.

Good is for those times when the reviewer didn't like it.

6. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    8-9 range for a AAA game pretty much means it sucks. Ratings 7 and below are reserved for conscientious reviewers and non-American/indie games.

7. Brother None

Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Jeux Video 12/20
    The simplification of the gameplay system was expected, but it was supposed to enable a more epic adventure, served with a fascinating history and spectacular staging, which is not really the case. Between the little care given to quest, incessant fighting in recycled environments, inability to negotiate out of strategic clashes and the mediocrity of the French localization, it isn't even at the level of Awakening, but a big, uninspired DLC. Fans of role playing tactics should turn with no hesitation to the latest Drakensang, rather than endorse this debacle, which is in serious competition with Gothic 4 for worst butchering of a franchise that we've seen in recent years.

8. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    Maybe he is meaning the overly "positive" tone many reviews have regarding DA2 (despite of the criticism they have).

I have read today a German review about DA and funny is while tehy say "it doesnt reach the first game it is an AWESOMEZOSE(!) game for it self". I mean ... yeah. They name a lot of critical points BUT game is still awesome ...

They also mentioned how the dialogue is comparable to Mass Effect (in my eyes pretty much the same shit actually ... )

At least Bioware is butchering its own franchise and not going to buy some old game and butcher that. Respect :P

9. Brother None

Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMcVZQI6ybw[/youtube]

10. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    Hey BN how comes you are so hyped in DA2 recently :D

11. Atomkilla

Atomkilla Hazel Hegemon oTO Orderite

Dec 26, 2010
    @ Crni

That's what I meant.

@ BN

Lulz

I might actually torrent this game.
    Stealing from BioWare at this point would be a pleasure...sort of.

12. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    Nein! You have spoken ze forbidden verds und must be punished. :V
    Sorry about the German accent, was watching that Doctor Who episode with the Daleks speaking German.

Also I may get this game purely because it literally broke a Codexer.

13. Brother None

Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    It's release day, I have to do a lot of coverage.

I'm thankful I'm not scheduled to review this game though. I'm staying the hell away from it. Too many promising RPGs this year to waste time on this.

Do not discuss piracy on these forums, thank you.

14. Ilosar

Ilosar Vault Fossil

Apr 20, 2010
    Keep in mind Jeuxvideo always remove 1 or 2 points on 20 because French translations are more or less universaly bad, but this is still a harsh review.

So far as I see it the same pros and cons come up in every review I saw. So I guess the final score depends on if you can tolerate the (seemingly hard to swallow) flaws. Everybody I know that has it pretty much agrees it's inferior to Origins.

Oh, and the reactions on the Codex were kinda expected, but still... wow. Some people seemed ready to shoot themselves, it's almost worse than FO3's reception.

And I want to see the Zero Punctuation review after the Escapist itself gave it's bullshit perfect review. I am certain he will tear it to pieces.

15. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    well RPG players/fanatics beeing dissapointed from a mediocre/bad RPG. Wow. Thats really ... news :shock:

16. LinkPain

LinkPain Mildly Dipped

Jan 18, 2011
    Hahahaha, i like how Gamespot reviews it.
    Unexpected i have to say, i thought they would like dumbing down. A little too dumb?

"Should you encourage a confused adolescent with magical abilities to seek refuge with the Dalish elves, that character may write to you later, offering a quest that furthers his tale."
    ^
    Mass Effect 2 almost every NPC you met before in ME1. They use the same type of "questing". Which is good, it makes you feel it had an impact. But looking at ME2, i mean come on. It's bullshit just to keep the game longer for a dumb catch or talk quest that isn't even interesting probably. It fits into ME, not DA godammit.And if it's possible for them to make so many ending options for ME3 why do we have a preferred hero in DA2, what was wrong with making ours the way we like it. It would be easy to make those 1min quests since all of the Ferelden knows you. I don't need another Starkiller/Hawke, what was wrong with my sneaking backstabbing rogue? He can't jump that high,he can't kick poison potions or bombs,he can't talk!? I liked him the way he was.

Funny thing would be to try to destroy everything good you did in DA:O, and then see in DA3 how Hawke and Warden help each other out.

EDIT:you tube comment, i just had to :rofl:
    "
    Looks like BioWare has been

*Puts on sunglasses*

Souled-out by EA.

YEEEAAAAHHH!
    "

17. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQE-J9QCBdQ[/youtube]

18. Black

Black Vault Senior Citizen

Jun 21, 2007
    Am I the only one who gets this sick, perverted feeling of "told you so" after seeing those 6/10 and 5/10 reviews? Not to mention horrible user scores on metacritic.

19. SmartCheetah

SmartCheetah It Wandered In From the Wastes

Feb 23, 2009
    After few hours of playing I can say that it's definitely not the game for me. I can't compare it to the first one as haven't got an option to play it.
    Too much combat and "never ending fights"(If only you have to use some brain ;_; They are just too long, totally boring and not challenging even on higher difficulty levels) - it looks silly when you whack that bastard for like 20 time just to see how much more blood can living person spill in DA universe. And that's the first thing.

Story? "Baldurs Gate spiritual successor", huh? I don't know how about first one(Can't trust game reviews/Youtube "let's play" these days.) but this thing is simply...dull. You just know what will happen next, how dissapointing it will be and just forget about "thrill".

Add to that pseudo-mature topics, far-east action orientated game effects(Flashes/epic jumps/charges) and plastic elves(When you take a look at their skin you'll get the picture)

Up to the point I've played, few characters were fine and little more interesting than whole story thing, but nothing special really. Maybe I shouldn't play "heroic" fantasy games? Damn, I didn't knew that heroic can aim in such direction. Better call it "epic".
    Still, 'gonna end it anyway, sooner or later.

20. keyser Soeze

keyser Soeze Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Nov 15, 2005
    - omfg -

1) Install

2) Start game

3) Do the immense complex process of creating your character (1 mouse click, six choices in total) :D

4) First combat: Click the same mouse button a few times in a row and you character do awesome stuff! Win (on hard)

5) Uninstall

:clap: