Dumb, Jinxed, Melee, Solo Playthrough

Discussion in 'Fallout RPG Gameplay & Tech' started by Grin, May 10, 2013.

1. Grin

Grin Still Mildly Glowing

Jul 2, 2006
    I've picked up Fallout 2 yet again and as such come to my favorite Fallout community for advice.

This'll be my 12th-ish playthrough. Stopped counting honestly. And I want to make it different.
    Everyone heard of the infamous dumb playthrough. I want to do that, but with a twist.

This is my build so far:

Name
    Hex

Stats
    ST: 10
    PE: 3
    EN: 10
    CH: 3
    IN: 2
    AG: 10
    LU: 2

Traits
    Jinxed
    Heavy Handed

Skills
    Big Guns
    Melee Weapons
    Sneak

Italic are the choices I'm not yet sure of. The basic idea is that I'm going for melee at first, relying on the Jinx trait to make the fights easier (hopefully). Around endgame I'm planning to supplement melee with big guns.

Tell me what you think I could add/change with this build.

2. woo1108

woo1108 Vault Senior Citizen

Sep 27, 2012
    ........Wow.... :o

3. Grin

Jul 2, 2006
    Yeah, I try to counter that by focusing close to all my skill points in the combat skills. Less % to miss, less broken arms and hitting yourself. Exploding guns and lost ammo are a non-issue for me.
    At least at first.

4. Gaspard

Gaspard Kasparov

May 7, 2009
    Well, keep us posted :roll: How far have you got?

5. Atomkilla

Atomkilla Alpharius oTO Orderite

Dec 26, 2010
    If you actually do this, hats off to you, friend.

I would probably break my screen after half an hour of playing.

6. Grin

Jul 2, 2006
    Haven't started playing just yet, I don't feel completely confident about certain choices.

Melee Weapons VS. Unarmed.
    With melee weapons there is a chance that your opponent will be knocked back, meaning you have to chase him/her/it. This isn't a problem with unarmed. However there are a greater variety of melee weapons available, especially at the start of the game.

Heavy Handed.
    Going for a melee style playthrough means your damage output will be considerably less. Critical hits can remedy that. But with LU:2, are critical hits realistic? Or is it wiser two take the trait Heavy Handed for a small increase in damage overall?

Perks.
    I was wondering what were perks that would benefit a melee playthrough. Specifically the "Silent Death" perk. Is this worth picking up?

7. Languorous_Maiar

Languorous_Maiar A Smooth-Skin

Oct 25, 2011
    You shouldn't get 10 STR, you know, you're loosing some points from PA and from surgery.
    And you should take as dumb 3 INT, because that few points will makes you difference.
    Also, takin 10 EN is completely pointless. : P
    Just saying with a balance view.

8. zegh8578

zegh8578 Keeper of the trout Orderite

Mar 11, 2012
    It is a dumb-game. By minimizing some attributes, others will inevitably be set higher than would otherwise be prudent.
    In one playthrough I insisted on IN1 and CH1, and just as well maximized AG. This was my trillionth playthrough, so... why bother that much with balance? It's just one.. more.. playthrough :D