Fallout 2 official guide

I got my copy now too. :>

I didn't expected the book to be that big.

Much appreciate the scans . . . One day I shall have to acquire such a guide just to frame and mount upon my wall. Bu wah ha.

Look forward to more to come.

(And yes, does one exist for Fallout?)

252 of 338 pages scanned, will try to finish tomorrow. Once that's done, I'll turn it into a pdf, reducing from 300 dpi to 72 to get a reasonable file size. Need somewhere to upload it to, though - suggestions are welcome.

Update - scanning done.

Update 2 - finished, PDF is 16MB.

I can upload it on german fallout-files.de. Need to know the final filesize. :)

You can grab it here. The page is in german, just click where "Download" is and then "hier".

Lexx said:
You can grab it here. The page is in german, just click where "Download" is and then "hier".
Great, thanks for sharing.

Also, German isn't that hard (especially if you live next to Germany). I learned some basic Deutsch on school, like ''Wo ist den bahnhof?'' and stuff. :lol:

Wow, thanks a bunch, you guys! :D

Lots of nice Vault Boy pics in there and I do get a tad sad when I read on the back cover that the author is "looking forward to starting work on Fallout 3."

First of all, thank a lot to Kanhef for the book and Lexx for uploading it! I just have a concern with what is written here:
Kanhef said:
"Many years ago, the Master, an insane doctor who attempted to become master of all humanity, tried to create guardians through gene splicing.
If I remember correctly dialog with Harold the mutant from the Hub, the "insane doctor" was not insane at all. He was a very smart and logical man named Richard Grey, who got accidentally thrown into the VATs during the expedition to the Mariposa military base to find the source of the mutants. This just reinforces that the super-mutants were already created by the US Military during human testing of the FEV... The reason why Richard Grey became the Mutant leader when he mutated was because he was so smart. However, he never created the mutants and the FEV, both existed before he became the Master and because...
Am I wrong?

The text records from Richard Gray during his anomalous mutation process, found in the military base, clearly shows that he was both surprised and annoyed at first when he tried to create others like him and only obtained the green brutes as results. Now, he wouldn't be surprised and annoyed by it, if there were super-mutants around before his own mutation, right?. No, i'm guessing that the "mutants" Harold's expedition was trying to trace to it's source would be mutated animals such as the molerats, mantis and the like (and probably some other mutated beasts that were never mentioned). As for the guardians mentioned there in the text you quoted, that's refering to the "monsters" types (centaurs and floaters). Centaurs are a combination of people and animal(s?), and i remember that in fallout 1 they were refered to (if only sometimes or always, i don't remember) as "Master's Pet".

x'il said:
The text records from Richard Gray during his anomalous mutation process, found in the military base, clearly shows that he was both surprised and annoyed at first when he tried to create others like him and only obtained the green brutes as results.
Interesting, where are these records kept, I never saw them, how can I miss something like this o_O

x'il said:
Now, he wouldn't be surprised and annoyed by it, if there were super-mutants around before his own mutation, right?. No, i'm guessing that the "mutants" Harold's expedition was trying to trace to it's source would be mutated animals such as the molerats, mantis and the like (and probably some other mutated beasts that were never mentioned).
Well, Harold mentions that there were a lot of attacks on caravans, which makes sense because they needed humans to turn into supermutants. But then again there was no Master to organize this yet, so maybe this is just coincidence... Still, Zax Mainframe in the Glow has files that say there were human testing of FEV virus at Mariposa base, so if the Vats made Grey mutate, they sure as hell might have had some mutations before that too. These mutations is most likely what causes Mariposa to get out of control. We know for a fact that no atomic bombs fell on it, otherwise it would look like the Glow... The base was safely hidden in the mountains, and we can only assume that FEV testing got out of control and mutants took over the military base. Whether they were supermutants or not is unclear. Perhaps they wern't supermutants, but they sure had to be some sort of mutants imo.

x'il said:
As for the guardians mentioned there in the text you quoted, that's refering to the "monsters" types (centaurs and floaters). Centaurs are a combination of people and animal(s?), and i remember that in fallout 1 they were refered to (if only sometimes or always, i don't remember) as "Master's Pet".
This I agree with you.

zenitfan4life said:
Interesting, where are these records kept, I never saw them, how can I miss something like this o_O

:o Then you're missing on some really cool stuff there: in the military base, on the main vats control computer (where you set the self-destruct), you can access the "audio" log of Richard Grey (i don't know if there's a science skill check for the options to show, for i always get them), it picks up where Harold left the story, of course, and it shows basically the step by step transformation of Richard Grey, both physically and mentally, from his crawling out of the vat in which he was thrown, up until becoming the Master.

zenitfan4life said:
Well, Harold mentions that there were a lot of attacks on caravans, which makes sense because they needed humans to turn into supermutants. But then again there was no Master to organize this yet, so maybe this is just coincidence...

Check the logs on the vats computer and you'll see, that's why i said that the mutants attacking Harold's old caravans probably refers to mutated beasts.

zenitfan4life said:
Still, Zax Mainframe in the Glow has files that say there were human testing of FEV virus at Mariposa base, so if the Vats made Grey mutate, they sure as hell might have had some mutations before that too. These mutations is most likely what causes Mariposa to get out of control. We know for a fact that no atomic bombs fell on it, otherwise it would look like the Glow... The base was safely hidden in the mountains, and we can only assume that FEV testing got out of control and mutants took over the military base. Whether they were supermutants or not is unclear. Perhaps they wern't supermutants, but they sure had to be some sort of mutants imo.

If i remember correctly, the records in the Zax Mainframe doesn't really say for certain that there were human testing of FEV at Mariposa military base; it says something along the lines of: "research moved to Mariposa where testing of FEV will take place on voluntary human subjects from the military".

What's more important though, is that you can also find in the military base on the same place as the aforementioned "audio" log of Richard Grey, Captain Maxson's log, which shows what happened in the military base and the "birth" of the Brotherhood of Steel. There were no mutants, no FEV testing gone out of control, Maxson's log implies that the "voluntary" experiments were not so voluntary after all, and were kept a secret from the rest of the soldiers stationed there... to make matters short, in the end all hell breaks loose, and the highest ranking military officer still alive (that is, Captain Maxson), orders all military personal and their families to abandon Mariposa base and move on to the lost hills bunker, which later becomes the Brotherhood of Steel.

Also, the Master, is truly an unique freak of nature, cause nowhere else is even hinted that another human mutated as he did.

x'il said:
:o Then you're missing on some really cool stuff there: in the military base, on the main vats control computer (where you set the self-destruct), you can access the "audio" log of Richard Grey (i don't know if there's a science skill check for the options to show, for i always get them), it picks up where Harold left the story, of course, and it shows basically the step by step transformation of Richard Grey, both physically and mentally, from his crawling out of the vat in which he was thrown, up until becoming the Master.

x'il said:
What's more important though, is that you can also find in the military base on the same place as the aforementioned "audio" log of Richard Grey, Captain Maxson's log, which shows what happened in the military base and the "birth" of the Brotherhood of Steel. There were no mutants, no FEV testing gone out of control, Maxson's log implies that the "voluntary" experiments were not so voluntary after all, and were kept a secret from the rest of the soldiers stationed there... to make matters short, in the end all hell breaks loose, and the highest ranking military officer still alive (that is, Captain Maxson), orders all military personal and their families to abandon Mariposa base and move on to the lost hills bunker, which later becomes the Brotherhood of Steel.

So I checked those logs out. Of course I have seen them before, for some reason I forgot about their existence though... Now everything you wrote makes sense and fits with the story, thanks for clearing it up =)
P.S. I wonder why the hell didn't Maxson destroy the damn vats in the first place, he must have known what they were for after interogating every scientists in the facility...

Back