Fallout 2 Restoration Project 2.1 (Unofficial FO2 Expansion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
killap said:
I've seen this happen with several bug report saves games posted. Does everyone have this problem? Any pattern to it? Perhaps Timeslip or Haenlomal can shed some light on this...? :)

I've experienced this quite a bit. I don't have any saves, but a few folks have posted screenies. At first i thought it was failing to display the critical hit descriptions, but then I recall one time i saw it happen in the ToT when fighting the guy at the end ....

@TailSwallower

[spoiler:097ab911de]you don't search for the raider camp moving around the area that way, it won't appear, you need to be in VC at around midnight then leave the city to the world map, you should get (may take several attempts mind) dialogue options to follow the raiders, there are two ways in, depending on how high your outdoors skill is[/spoiler:097ab911de]

@killap
[spoiler:097ab911de]I using spoiler tags in case people do don't want to know, but if you get to one location on the raider base, the cave entrance for example, in my testing it was possible to leave for the world map re enter the raider base and able to pick both locations, even if you only managed to find one, has this been fixed for 2.1.2? as this does seem a bit of a cheat, only if you got bishops disk / map then the other location should show[/spoiler:097ab911de]

as for crashing during combat, I do seem to have very rare crashing, come to mention it, but not really happened often, and I do have alll the optional content installed, but general the game has been very stable

question,
I have a friend that might give this RP a go, but he has the steam version of the game, (at least I think he has or will buy it from there to try RP out) my question is, does RP work with the steam version of fallout 2? as it will be patched to 1.2 official, so wondering if the installer for RP will remove the unneeded patch files, just checking, pretty sure I have seen a few people mention that they have the steam edition, as for my its the original disk version, so can't help there, thanks in advance for however answers

I personally never had crashes during combat, despite having the FO1 sounds installed in 2.0. But what I have done in RP2.0 and 2.1 is I increased the maximum simultaneous sound effects allowed in ddraw.ini because I had problems with some combat sounds not being played. Maybe that's the cause and remedy?

Additionally I wanted to ask if the paths pointing to the music folder in the config file are going to be fixed in the upcoming relase.

Josan12 said:
killap said:
I've seen this happen with several bug report saves games posted. Does everyone have this problem? Any pattern to it? Perhaps Timeslip or Haenlomal can shed some light on this...? :)

I've experienced this quite a bit. I don't have any saves, but a few folks have posted screenies. At first i thought it was failing to display the critical hit descriptions, but then I recall one time i saw it happen in the ToT when fighting the guy at the end ....

I have another gripe with the combat messages but since any comment on the bug report was omitted in 2.0 i assumed it was something that can't be fixed. Maybe there is a connection after all. The thing is that the parts of the message that informs you about the condition of an enemy and what kind of weapon he is carrying when you examine him with the binoculars (awareness perk needed) are connected with a period mark without blanks inbetween. This seems like a minor problem but I can't remember having it in vanilla version of the game.

that is one issue I have never encountered, as I always get the full message, not had any issues with the combat messages, strange indeed

SPC said:
Additionally I wanted to ask if the paths pointing to the music folder in the config file are going to be fixed in the upcoming release.
I wasn't planning on it, as the paths problem isn't an RP issue. I'll see what I can do. Having the installer modify the file (if needed) is one solution I have in mind, but I'm sure Vista/7 would scream bloody murder over such actions. Including a "correct" file is another option, but that really can't work because I don't know where people install the game to. I might be able to do relative paths for it. We'll see.

killap said:
SPC said:
Additionally I wanted to ask if the paths pointing to the music folder in the config file are going to be fixed in the upcoming release.
I wasn't planning on it, as the paths problem isn't an RP issue. I'll see what I can do. Having the installer modify the file (if needed) is one solution I have in mind, but I'm sure Vista/7 would scream bloody murder over such actions. Including a "correct" file is another option, but that really can't work because I don't know where people install the game to. I might be able to do relative paths for it. We'll see.

The problem seems to be that fallout2.exe creates the fallout2.cfg file if it does not exist, and for some reason the default location for music is "sound\music\", and not "data\sound\music" as it should be. If the fallout2.exe could be modified to write that directory instead of the wrong one, the problem should disappear.

And including the file? You don't need to know where the game is installed in that file, since the paths are relative to current directory. But I would still probably not do that, since the game may detect some settings and put correct values there, although I really don't know for sure.

Tony Brasco said:
The problem seems to be that fallout2.exe creates the fallout2.cfg file if it does not exist, and for some reason the default location for music is "sound\music\", and not "data\sound\music" as it should be. If the fallout2.exe could be modified to write that directory instead of the wrong one, the problem should disappear.
That's not something I can do. Perhaps sfall could handle that. I'll ping Timeslip. I think only some F2 installers had this problem, since I never had this issue. For some reason I'm recalling a /sound directory being created in the main F2 directory for some F2 installers. In this directory were just the music files. Of course I could just be losing my mind. :P I have several copies of F2, so I'll have to test this.

Tony Brasco said:
And including the file? You don't need to know where the game is installed in that file, since the paths are relative to current directory. But I would still probably not do that, since the game may detect some settings and put correct values there, although I really don't know for sure.
Yeah, I realize they're relative paths (I mention this in my post above.) If Timeslip cannot do anything through sfall, then I'll see what I can do with the two options I mentioned. Just including a corrected config file is the easiest, but this obviously isn't the best solution.

killap said:
About the F1 shot sound

If that is indeed the case, then it's final, I'm removing that option from the installer for good. It caused problems in the past, I thought I fixed them, but apparently not. I know some people liked that sound more than the one in F2, but w/e, crashes are worse. Even though I'm sure people will ask where it went once 2.1.1 is released, here's the word: F1 gun sound is no longer supported by the RP.

Hopefully there will be someone who will fix it, instead of you running away from it. Or i will just not patch the game, its quite stable and the glitches are just simple and trivial now. Just like one major one, but i can live with that. Better than cutting the content.

Templayer said:
Hopefully there will be someone who will fix it, instead of you running away from it. Or i will just not patch the game, its quite stable and the glitches are just simple and trivial now. Just like one major one, but i can live with that. Better than cutting the content.
You'd stop installing RP updates just because the F1 sound (an optional component included by me because a few people liked how it sounded) is removed? Wow, there's no winning with you guys...

killap said:
Templayer said:
You'd stop installing RP updates just because the F1 sound (an optional component included by me because a few people liked how it sounded) is removed? Wow, there's no winning with you guys...

Heheh, no kidding, I thought that was a bit extreme.

Anyway, you could maybe leave the sounds as an option in the installer, with the added caveat that it may possibly lead to crashes, so install at your own risk. That way, I'm sure all but the die hard fans of those Fallout 1 sounds (like the dude above) would avoid it.

well if it leads to crashes,I would prefer not to have the option in RP installer, better that way, even if the sounds do sound cool, but if they are the cause of the crashing, and that seems likly at this point, wouldn't want to install them ever again, so even then I don't see a point keeping the sounds in RP at all

killap said:
Templayer said:
Yeah, me too! :P
I like the F1 sound better dammit!
Seriously though, I believe that bug report is bogus. The guy said "Seems to be solved by not installing the Fallout 1 weapon sounds". That sounds more like he's not sure, as in it didn't happen all the time. When the F1 sound was bugged it crashed on every shot with the 2.23 pistol, or a few seconds later. Seamlessly random crashes in combat has always been part of Fallout, no matter what gun was used.
When I beta tested the RP 2.1 I used the 2.23 pistol a lot and I didn't have a single crash in combat (except with Melchior but that's a totally different bug I'm sure).

Darek said:
Seriously though, I believe that bug report is bogus. The guy said "Seems to be solved by not installing the Fallout 1 weapon sounds". That sounds more like he's not sure, as in it didn't happen all the time.

It's possible that someone added that to the wiki based on something I said a page or two back about not seeming to get as many crashes on the play-through in which I didn't include those sounds. But I have no idea if that was the actual reason for the game crashing less. It could have simply been coincidence, or perhaps I was playing a more stable build of the RP.

I hope it wasn't added simply because of what I said, because I honestly have no clue if crashes are related to those sounds. I just tossed it out there as a possibility.

I personally have not noticed any crashes with regards to the new (or old, depending on what way you look at it) .223 pistol etc sound. I routinely give myself and my NPCs those weapons whereever possible and haven't noticed crashing often. I encountered random crashes due to shots missing and hitting walls, running into the EPA room with Mr. Chemmie while the fans were clogged etc more. (the latter problems i already have been experiencing since vanilla FO2, so I had no quarrels over it.

Just something I'm curious about:

1) Do the apparently-soon-to-be-axed Fallout 1 gun sounds include the ridiculously loud *BANG!* for the .223 and 14mm (or was it Desert Eagle?) pistols?

Because I really enjoyed that particular gunshot. Made me like the .223 more than I actually liked it, I think.

2) When people mention bugs arising from saving in combat, is this more than happened in F1? Because I never had any problems saving in combat there, and I'm wondering why more people aren't comparing it to that. I mean, the combat system didn't change TOO dramatically between the two games, did it? </naive>

@Pixote
I never apologized to you about the misunderstanding over the map issue. Glad to hear they've been cleaned and cleared up. Thank you.

@smilodom
Where is your avatar from? It looks cute, in a bizarre way.

I'm not sure whether this is a bug from the original version or not since I never tried it before.

That is after the protagonist sleeps with Bishop's wife and then triggers a battle with Bishop and his men. Ms Bishop will stand upon the bed as if she's awaken. But if you go checking her, you'll find she's actually still sleeping. If you kill her, the corpse will be under the bed which prevents you from accessing it.

utunnels said:
I'm not sure whether this is a bug from the original version or not since I never tried it before.

That is after the protagonist sleeps with Bishop's wife and then triggers a battle with Bishop and his men. Ms Bishop will stand upon the bed as if she's awaken. But if you go checking her, you'll find she's actually still sleeping. If you kill her, the corpse will be under the bed which prevents you from accessing it.

Happens in vanilla Fallout 2 as well.

Darek said:
killap said:
Templayer said:
Yeah, me too! :P
I like the F1 sound better dammit!
Seriously though, I believe that bug report is bogus. The guy said "Seems to be solved by not installing the Fallout 1 weapon sounds". That sounds more like he's not sure, as in it didn't happen all the time. When the F1 sound was bugged it crashed on every shot with the 2.23 pistol, or a few seconds later. Seamlessly random crashes in combat has always been part of Fallout, no matter what gun was used.
When I beta tested the RP 2.1 I used the 2.23 pistol a lot and I didn't have a single crash in combat (except with Melchior but that's a totally different bug I'm sure).

Exactly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back