Fallout 2 Restoration Project 2.2 - OPEN BETA (ie NOT FINAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm (slowly, though) testint INT 1, LK 1. I don't think I have any stat at 10, but I should check it out. I'll do it later.

Cool, thanks Oppen. I will be testing installation on Windows 8 (and possibly XP) and would like to start with a character with skill stats we haven't tested yet.

-m

Here's probably a vanilla bug: In Arroyo, after getting the Flint quest, I am able to barter with Aunt Morhs at the start of the conversation and trade her $7 (or two sharpened poles) for the flint. Seems like her barter should be disabled, since you either have to complete her quest or else be persuasive enough to talk her into giving you the flint for free.

Testing currently with ST 1, PE 10, EN 1, CH 10, IN 10, AG 1, LK 7.

-m

Hello, from Russia! Sorry, my English is pretty bad, but i still attempt to explain myself. I've found the following bugs while playing RP 2.2:

1) You get your karma decreased when you deliver a message from Enlightened-One to AHS-9. I think, that should be changed back, because she is a good character (despite the fact being a hubologist, she is the only Hubologist in the whole game killing whom you results your karma lowered) and there is completely no hidden meaning behind this letter. That definitely doesn't make you evil.

2) You can't remove the forcefield leading to the Emperor without being noticed (no matter how high your skills are or what you do). But weirdly enough, you still can hack into Emperor's mainframe without anyone getting suspicious and get bonus exp for that. Obviously it was initially supposed to give a high Science char an opportunity to kill Emperor quietly (as you can do with AHS-9).

3) You get your quest to kill Shi Emperor closed after you assassinate AHS-9, but, for some reason, you can't close quests to kill Badger, get vertibird plans or transport fuel to «Star Father» if you kill AHS-7 and Harry. I think you should be able to cross either all of them or none at all. That suggestion also corresponds to other quests which you can fail, but which stay uncrossed.

4) Karma shouldn't be lowered when you deliver Moore's briefcase to Mr.Bishop (while you get -5).

5) There is still a bug in Broken Hills, where you can get a second quest from Jacob (to blow purifier) without actually releasing Manson from jail.

6) I was able to get double exp. for convincing Myron, that there is a cure for Jet. First time i got it at the Stables. And the second time in the Vault of Vault-City.

7) I still able to get a bug in San-Francisco when you fight either Dragon's or Lo-Pan's disciples. When you appear on the ring the fight doesn't start and you have to initiate it by yourself.And after you defeat your opponent you happen to be trapped inside the ring forever.

8) I still have crashes when i try to plant a dynamite on merchants in NCR and San-Francisco.

9) Once, when i ran out of fuel in the desert i lost my car.

10) You are still able to get all four Made Man karma perks, but as far as i concerned more than one displays only due to a bug.

11) Weirdly enough, you get -10 karma, when you assassinate Mr.Bishop by the means of his own safe. And +5 karma when you kill him in a combat.

12) From time to time i get empty Kaga encounters.

13) Surprisingly, you don't get karma penalty for reporting back to Mira about killing Jack in NCR (in this particular case I'm unsure if it is a bug or it just was intended from the beginning as some sort of allowance for a stupid characters).

14) falloutmods.wikia implies, that you can talk out Kaga out of fight, but even with CH 10 and Speech 300% i wasn't able to do so.

15) Sometimes, when i talk to Renesco after taking Mr.Salvatore's quest, i don't have an option about it in the dialog (and it happens pretty often). To avoid this a have to load a savegame which was made before taking that quest and usually try a few times to make it appear.

Avalon said:
7) I still able to get a bug in San-Francisco when you fight either Dragon's or Lo-Pan's disciples. When you appear on the ring the fight doesn't start and you have to initiate it by yourself.And after you defeat your opponent you happen to be trapped inside the ring forever.
This one is an engine bug and no one seems to know how to fix it without the source code (which no one has, and no one is allowed to edit).

Another related bug is that after winning fights, if your opponent is still alive there is a chance he'll keep standing inside the ring, so you'll have to fight two or more opponents in the next round.

Avalon: Thanks for the reports. It would be very helpful if you could provide a save game from just before each incident, so KillaP can replicate the bugs: for instance, the savegame you mention in item 15), or a save game where you had an empty Kaga encounter.

-m

Avalon said:
14) falloutmods.wikia implies, that you can talk out Kaga out of fight, but even with CH 10 and Speech 300% i wasn't able to do so.

Their info is outdated. There was a joke way to get out fighting Kaga but that was removed.

Combat bug (related to previously reported gecko bug?)

Another interesting (vanilla?) combat bug: With an ally's combat control Disposition on Custom, with "Attack Who" set to "Whomever is attacking me," then if an enemy is attacking the ally when no enemy is attacking me (not striking nor approaching), the ally will just sit there and take the enemy's hits without attacking back. That's buggy - I mean, they're following the instruction to the letter, but it sure is unrealistic and immersion-breaking. Note that I tested this with Sulik's combat distance set to "Charge!", but charge he did not.

This bug seems to be very similar to the "geckoes stand there while Sulik pounds on them" bug that I reported earlier (see the bug Wiki: search for "geckoes"). Could the geckoes be getting set to a similar fixed-target combat mode, blinding them to other enemies?

-- Also, a minor language bug: "Whomever is attacking me," "Whomever is closest," and "Whomever you want" should all be "Whoever." (The easiest test to know which one's right is to replace the "who/whom" with "he/him"; the one that makes sense corresponds with the correct relative pronoun: he = who; him = whom.) [Edit: Technically, "Attack Who" also should be "Attack Whom." Normally "Who" is used in the subject position, and "Whom" is used in the object position, although "Who" is now generally accepted for both uses.]

-=-=-=-

Edit: After further testing in the Klamath rat caves, it appears that Sulik's odd behavior depends on the combination of Distance: Charge! and Attack Who: Who(m)ever Is Attacking Me. All the other Distance settings result in normal behavior, except for Snipe the Enemy (more below).

With Charge + Whomever Is Attacking Me, I found that Sulik would attack the first rat that attacks me, but if I start combat near a solitary rat (especially having run into combat and Sulik's still a ways back when it starts) and then during combat walk by other rats, thereby drawing them into the combat, Sulik is blind to the new combatants. Even if I lead the rats around in a circle and walk them right past Sulik - even if I stand right next to Sulik and let the rats attack me repeatedly - Sulik just stands there. His first (and initially, only) target dead, he seems unable to act. Until I strike at a rat, that is. Then Sulik attacks and kills the rat. And promptly ignores the *other* rats still biting on me or him - until I attack one of them.

This seems more and more like an engine bug. Perhaps something that scripting can work around, though? Maybe disallowing the particular combination of custom settings?

During this test, Distance: Snipe the Enemy also appears bugged, in every Attack Who mode, presumably because Sulik is without a firearm. With spear in hand (he switches to the spear from the sledgehammer sometime during the first few rounds), he appears to run away, then charge in to melee range - then spends two rounds running as far from combat as possible. (Coward! Come back and help me!) Then he approaches again, then runs again, repeating the cycle ad infinitum. He doesn't throw his spear, nor does he attack at all, even when in melee range at the start of his turn.

Can someone reproduce these conditions with other characters / in other fight settings, and with NPCs armed with ranged weapons (firearms) as well as without ranged weapons? It would be good to determine where the limits of this bug are.

I'll next work to get a save game uploaded.

-m

Quick question: is there any quest about dealing with Matt (the prisoner) on Vault 13? Or is just a matter of "kill him if you want, help him escape if you hate deathclaws"? I ask because there are specific dialogs involved, and if you killed there is a special dialog with Gruthar.

See my previous post. Savegame: Sulik rat combat test. Sulik's to your left; you can change his combat settings, then run to the right and up. A solitary rat is to the right at the junction; then north from there around the next junction are three other rats. Most of the time, if you're running, you can get to one of the other rats before Sulik kills the first one, then play pied piper, leading the rats back to Sulik. The most interesting test is to set Sulik's Custom combat settings to Distance: Charge! and Attack Who: Whomever Is Attacking Me. However, it's also fun to test Sulik on Distance: "Snipe" mode.

-m

Re: Combat bug (related to previously reported gecko bug?)

memetics said:
-- Also, a minor language bug: "Whomever is attacking me," "Whomever is closest," and "Whomever you want" should all be "Whoever." (The easiest test to know which one's right is to replace the "who/whom" with "he/him"; the one that makes sense corresponds with the correct relative pronoun: he = who; him = whom.) [Edit: Technically, "Attack Who" also should be "Attack Whom." Normally "Who" is used in the subject position, and "Whom" is used in the object position, although "Who" is now generally accepted for both uses.]

This has always bugged me a bit, too. I would love to see this resolved.

- "Attack Who" can be just that if we want to reflect common, modern usage, but more traditionally would indeed be "Attack Whom"
- "Whomever is closest" should definitely be "Whoever is closest"

I must respectfully disagree on the "Whomever you want" statement, though. "Whomever" is correct here since "whomever" represents the objective case, rather than the subjective.

By way of pedantry, in "Whoever is closest," the "whoever" is performing an action (being closest) and is the subject, whereas in "Whomever you want," the subject is "you" and the predicate is "want," hence "whom."

Thank you very much for opening this whole can of worms, though. I felt too self-conscious to bring it up earlier since I figured I was the only person left to humanity (at least the English-speaking part) to whom this debate still mattered. ;-)

Edit: clarity on my not having actually brought this up before[/b]

Avalon said:
1) You get your karma decreased when you deliver a message from Enlightened-One to AHS-9. I think, that should be changed back, because she is a good character (despite the fact being a hubologist, she is the only Hubologist in the whole game killing whom you results your karma lowered) and there is completely no hidden meaning behind this letter. That definitely doesn't make you evil.
I find it a bit amusing that ever since I made karma messages being displayed a default option that I get tons of reports about karma related things. Out of sight out of mind really is where it's at.

Anyway, I never changed the the karma here. This is the vanilla value. It's always been the case that Hubologist related things result in negative karma. Sure she's a bit different in regards to her death actually resulting in karma loss, unlike other Hubologists. But perhaps THIS is a bug. Who knows. However, the fact that you're helping the Hubologists by delivering the letter makes me think that it should be negative karma.

Avalon said:
2) You can't remove the forcefield leading to the Emperor without being noticed (no matter how high your skills are or what you do). But weirdly enough, you still can hack into Emperor's mainframe without anyone getting suspicious and get bonus exp for that. Obviously it was initially supposed to give a high Science char an opportunity to kill Emperor quietly (as you can do with AHS-9).
Hmm, I'll have to double check this one but I'm fairly certain the only check is that the guard has to actually see you. As long as the guard nearby is alive and sees you, then yeah you're caught.

Avalon said:
3) You get your quest to kill Shi Emperor closed after you assassinate AHS-9, but, for some reason, you can't close quests to kill Badger, get vertibird plans or transport fuel to «Star Father» if you kill AHS-7 and Harry. I think you should be able to cross either all of them or none at all. That suggestion also corresponds to other quests which you can fail, but which stay uncrossed.
Heh, more obsession with a fully crossed out quest log. Yeah, there are many cases like this and I try to fix them as they are reported. To some extent, having them open is fair. I mean, you haven't completed it. But yeah, I think they should be crossed out, so if you have a list of others do tell.

Avalon said:
4) Karma shouldn't be lowered when you deliver Moore's briefcase to Mr.Bishop (while you get -5).
To quote the Big Lebowski, "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." So this quest does help Mr. Bishop, a mob boss. To me that sounds like a bad thing. This is a vanilla value anyway.

Avalon said:
5) There is still a bug in Broken Hills, where you can get a second quest from Jacob (to blow purifier) without actually releasing Manson from jail.
Save game would be useful here.

Avalon said:
6) I was able to get double exp. for convincing Myron, that there is a cure for Jet. First time i got it at the Stables. And the second time in the Vault of Vault-City.

Avalon said:
I've personally never run into this since I made fixes for this years ago. People send me save games out the wazoo and it always works for me. Don't know what to say.

Avalon said:
8) I still have crashes when i try to plant a dynamite on merchants in NCR and San-Francisco.
This is an engine issue. Unfixable.

Avalon said:
9) Once, when i ran out of fuel in the desert i lost my car.
Odd. If you run out of gas over a city, the car should still appear at the entrance, thanks to a fix I added. If it runs out in the desert there should be a marker placed on the map so you can return to it. In any event, all this is hardcoded so I can't do anything about it.

Avalon said:
10) You are still able to get all four Made Man karma perks, but as far as i concerned more than one displays only due to a bug.
It's been too long for me, but sounds familiar to me. Engine issue anyway.

Avalon said:
11) Weirdly enough, you get -10 karma, when you assassinate Mr.Bishop by the means of his own safe. And +5 karma when you kill him in a combat.
Maybe brutal explosion assassinations are considered worse than a shotgun blast to the face. I suppose the devs considered assassinations to be an evil act.

Avalon said:
12) From time to time i get empty Kaga encounters.
I really wish I could reproduce this or understand why this happens.

Avalon said:
13) Surprisingly, you don't get karma penalty for reporting back to Mira about killing Jack in NCR (in this particular case I'm unsure if it is a bug or it just was intended from the beginning as some sort of allowance for a stupid characters).
I don't plan on adding additional karma changes.

Avalon said:
As Dravean said, old info. If someone could update that guide I would appreciate it.

Avalon said:
15) Sometimes, when i talk to Renesco after taking Mr.Salvatore's quest, i don't have an option about it in the dialog (and it happens pretty often). To avoid this a have to load a savegame which was made before taking that quest and usually try a few times to make it appear.

killap said:
Avalon said:
Maybe brutal explosion assassinations are considered worse than a shotgun blast to the face. I suppose the devs considered assassinations to be an evil act.

Well, when you kill it by the means of combat, he has the chance to defend himself. It's somewhat less evil than a coldblooded assassination.

slightly annoying bug, it may be related to sfall/high-res

Horrigan cutscenes in the desert flickers while my char runs into position, it stops right after

it's not present in the previous version (just started playing a few days ago on 2.1.2b, used savegame from that version)

ddan said:
slightly annoying bug, it may be related to sfall/high-res

Horrigan cutscenes in the desert flickers while my char runs into position, it stops right after

it's not present in the previous version (just started playing a few days ago on 2.1.2b, used savegame from that version)
Yeah, I believe this was reported already and is indeed the result of using the latest high-res patch.

I am downloading the open Beta now, mainly because I really feel like playing F2 and I don't know how long before the 'official' release.

Just wanted to say thanks to killap and everyone else who participated by tirelessly searching for, and reporting, bugs!

Oh wow, it's been forever since my last post. Saw this here yesterday and I just HAD to download it, and reinstall FO2.

I've just reached Klamath and I'm already seeing all kinds of small changes, it's nice. :)

I came across a little problem though. After I had done the cattle rustling quest, I killed the Dunton brothers (I always do that, after all, they're a-holes).

Then I decided to check out the bar, and buy some new stuff and talk to the guy who teaches a bit about Unarmed and Melee weapons. However, I wasn't able to get inside because the dude wearing the leather armor was blocking the doorway and I couldn't push him out of there. He must have moved there during the combat againts Dunton brothers.

Is there some way to get him out of there? Well, other than killing/hurting him, and making the whole town hostile.

Anyway, nice to see that you're still working with this one. :)

This is a long shot, but has anyone been able to figure out how to deal with the slow fade-in / fade-out?

It takes me around 5 seconds to fade in and out during moments like using First Aid.

Same here and I have so far attributed this to the same issue that was with the world map etc. That our pc`s now are too fast and are actually slowing the game performance. I`d like to know is there anything that could be done about this issue. The issue happen in fullscreen and in windowed mode (for me atleast).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back