Fallout 2 mod Fallout 2 Restoration Project Discussion (ideas/suggestions)

Hi Killap,

I have two little suggestions concerning the EPA.

1.) The Head of security uses german curse words. But it sounds a bit forced and out of place. It actually sounds like a non-german speaker wrote the dialogues (I hope I don't insult anyone here).
As a native speaker I was happy that you incorporated a reference to germany, but I was also a bit dissapointed with the implementation.

2.) Kitsume's story about the two different eyes is a pretty blunt plagiarism of the "Cowboy Bebop" character Spike Spiegel.
The thing with the japanese name was pointed out before, but i'd like to mention it again ;) .
-----------

Thank you for the RP by the way. Great work.

Geist said:
1.) The Head of security uses german curse words. But it sounds a bit forced and out of place. It actually sounds like a non-german speaker wrote the dialogues (I hope I don't insult anyone here).
As a native speaker I was happy that you incorporated a reference to germany, but I was also a bit dissapointed with the implementation.

That'd be my fault, and I'm not offended at all. I don't have a clue as to how to speak German, all I did was looked up some curse words and tossed them in, hoping it wouldn't seem too unnatural. Since you're a native speaker, do you think you could send Killap a PM with suggested alterations to make it seem more natural (while maintaining the character's personality, of course)?

That'd be my fault, and I'm not offended at all. I don't have a clue as to how to speak German, all I did was looked up some curse words and tossed them in, hoping it wouldn't seem too unnatural. Since you're a native speaker, do you think you could send Killap a PM with suggested alterations to make it seem more natural (while maintaining the character's personality, of course)?
That would be great. I think I could take a look at it at the weekend. Right now I am too busy to be creative ;) .
BTW: Why is the guy german anyway. Is there a back-story?

I'm sure there would be some books regarding:
Big Guns (manuals), Energy Weapons (manuals), Doctor (journals), Traps (some mad army buff magazine), Gambling (rule books) and Speech (novels)...

I like the idea of books for Doctor (say "Grey's Anatomy" with "Richard Grey" as author maybe :D ) and Traps skill. Come to think about it, the traps one might actually be Holodisks with parodies of Anarchist Cookbook type "Heil Anarchy!!! Blow Shit Up!!!" homemade explosives files :D

Geist said:
It's just what the design document from the original F2 developers said he should be and act like.

Allright, I took screenshots of the dialogues.

But maybe you have them allready as a text file and could pm it to me.
That would make sure I dont miss a dialogue
since there are propably more dialogues that I can trigger (different ones for stupid caracters or females?).
Plus it would speed things up and you can get them sort in the right order.

Geist, you already have the text file yourself.
Go to your ...\data\Text\English\Dialog folder and open epac4.msg

Geist said:

Here's exactly what it says about this character in the original design doc made by the Fallout 2 developers. This is what we based the character off of:

EPA Design Doc said:
Hologram 10001, Director of Security

A gung-ho marine hologram who peppers his speech with a lot of crude German phrases. He believes that everything in the complex should be killed and then the EPA allowed to reboot. Fortunately, he can no longer command any of the robots, all the weapon defenses have run out of ammo, and all he can really do is bluster about how much he would like to destroy everything if he was in charge. If the player performs some tasks for this Director, they can get access to the Security Locker Rooms, which holds some old ammo, weapons, and some armor.

Sorry if I repeat, probably some are mentioned already in this thread
Suggestions:
- ability to grab items that are not visible (http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/801/grab.png)
- divide scorpions tails on lesser and large (item graphics are too big for lesser radscorpion http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/2416/tailso.png)
- more experience points for lesser deathclaw and immature (killing molerats give more exp than deathclaws)
- hmm.. where are dangerous encounters with full mature deathclaws? I meet only mother with few immature and caves with immatures.
- disable steal money from Crockett in San Francisco.
- random travelers in towns
And less important:
- improve speed walking on map to partially depend on Endurance stat if isn't already implement
- ability to buy a house (e.g. in Broken Hills or new added town)
- add new armor - hubologist robe (e.g. receive when become a hubologist)
In far future:
- killing people from arroyo without ending game (my dream :p), even if cause disable many of quests. And I don't want know that is impossible :).

I would like to see a new model for the Thomas Moore character in Vault City, because his description does not fit to his outfit. I suggest a giving him a tuxedo but keeping the head as it is.

Less important: Mr. Bishop should also receive a new modell since he is a Godfather and not a bum.
And maybe changing the appearance of the whole family Wright (or at least its important members).

Also I would like to support those Ideas
-more experience points for lesser deathclaw and immature (killing molerats give more exp than deathclaws)
- hmm.. where are dangerous encounters with full mature deathclaws? I meet only mother with few immature and caves with immatures.
- disable steal money from Crockett in San Francisco.

the Party Orders Add On MOD for RP2.0 works for 2.1, and solves the problem of not being able to pick up stuff blocked by other world objects.

I consider it ESSENTIAL to the new RP, because i can just tell bonenose to loot the 30 dead guys piled one on top of another and i know he gets all the loot. Also included are a key for the PC to auto loot bodies or auto pick up loose items from the ground.

Three things I just experienced.

-If Sulik kills a critter he immediatly ends his turn. Even if he has 7 ap left.

-Sulik does not acknowledge the luisville slugger as a weapon. He rather fights with fists.

-Occasionaly he switches to another weapon to make full use of his action points, but anfortunatly he doesn't switch back in the next round.

The first thing is normal, every NPC does so even in vanilla F2, when it comes to slugger i think Sulik lacks animation with it

Hello again Fallout 2 Restoration Project community and team. Been a while since I last touched Fallout 2 but decided to give it go now that RP v2.1 is released. Had a blast this far, impressive work especially with the maps. Haven't encountered any serious bugs either, apart from a few minor crashes.

Anyway decided to share a few ideas I've came up with while playing.

- Alcohol should increase damage resistance for the duration: Beer 1%, Booze 5%, stronger stuff 8% etc. You know how it is when drunk.

- Foods should add HP just like the fruit.

- Creature bites should be poisonous, for example 15% chance at every attack. If an overgrown, angry mutated rat takes a bite out of you, you shouldn't get away with only a scratch!

- Karma rewards should be adjusted, good karma toned down and bad karma boosted considerably. People tend to remember you better from your bad deeds than the good ones.

- Sneak & Steal -modifiers should be higher for places such as Navarro, San Fran, NCR and Vault City. These people got the good stuff, wouldn't you think that they'd keep closer eye on a crazy talking tribal fellow?

- Navarro is still too easy to access. The Advanced Power Armor and some other goodies should be relocated into a better guarded storage. For example a force field should keep nosy rookies at bay. This would add considerable challenge but not make it impossible to get the items.

hologram said:
- Alcohol should increase damage resistance for the duration: Beer 1%, Booze 5%, stronger stuff 8% etc. You know how it is when drunk.

- Foods should add HP just like the fruit.
Nice little bits, I quite like them both.

hologram said:
- Creature bites should be poisonous, for example 15% chance at every attack. If an overgrown, angry mutated rat takes a bite out of you, you shouldn't get away with only a scratch!
Good idea, but I think it might make the beginning very difficult (constantly getting poisoned from geckos and rats in Klamath).

hologram said:
- Karma rewards should be adjusted, good karma toned down and bad karma boosted considerably. People tend to remember you better from your bad deeds than the good ones.
Thta's quite true. People wouldn't care that you helped some lady across the street, but if they heard you stole something, the word would spread a lot faster.

hologram said:
- Sneak & Steal -modifiers should be higher for places such as Navarro, San Fran, NCR and Vault City. These people got the good stuff, wouldn't you think that they'd keep closer eye on a crazy talking tribal fellow?
I think Sneak and Steal should only be affected by your skill and the person's Perception. It's not the area, it's the individual people.

But it's true that a guard or a shop keeper would be more cautious than your regular peasantry.

hologram said:
- Navarro is still too easy to access. The Advanced Power Armor and some other goodies should be relocated into a better guarded storage. For example a force field should keep nosy rookies at bay. This would add considerable challenge but not make it impossible to get the items.
Let's face it - no one accidentaly stumbles into Navarro in the early stages of the game - only people who know they can get the PA there actually go there for it.

SkuLL said:
Good idea, but I think it might make the beginning very difficult (constantly getting poisoned from geckos and rats in Klamath).

Of course the modifiers should be adjusted accordingly, you won't get killed by the scorpions in temple of trials but the poison sure hurts and so forth.

SkuLL said:
Let's face it - no one accidentaly stumbles into Navarro in the early stages of the game - only people who know they can get the PA there actually go there for it.

Repairing / Blowing up Gecko's plant ain't much of a brainer, after that you can easily make your way into the Vaults. After retrieving GECK, you can go to Arroyo and get the location for Navarro. This can be easily done around level 10.

There's plenty of scenarios there that can happen but generally the best armor / weaponry in game basically requires you to walk in and take it. That is what bothers me, the enclave handing out the best equipment for some random rookie that just stumbled from the desert?

In game check whether recruit (PC) is wearing at least combat armor would be sufficient and natural IMO (similar to the one Lil Jesus makes).

Sorry if this has been addressed, but regarding Sheriff Marion, is it now possible to fix his broken leg?

My understanding was that with a high enough Doctor skill, you we to be able to, but the game (and Marion) didn't recognize it?

re: food-system,
snake-eater perk to be like metal gear sold naked-snake skill.. hunt animals for food meat..

Back