Fallout 2 mod Fallout 2 Restoration Project Discussion (ideas/suggestions)

killap said:
No plans for any new content, as essentially all pulled content has been restored.
Meh. I was hoping for an improved Chad quest. I don't much like the current one. Especially not the lock part.
The one guy who has seen anything and are willing to talk about it is not only a caravan guard but also an expert lock smith.
A bit too convinient and unbelivable in my opinion.
I'm pretty sure it was meant to be a caravan quest of sorts where you had to follow the trade routes to find clues (maybe even come along with the caravan).

These are the original stages of the Chad quest:

Code:
global_var(300) == BH_CHAD
1 = CHAD_SUSPICIOUS - Marcus asked you to check him out.
2 = CHAD_RUMOR_GECKO
3 = CHAD_RUMOR_BROKENHILLS
4 = CHAD_CONFIRMED_GECKO - You can report whatever this is to Marcus, but he tells you to keep looking.
5 = CHAD_CONFIRMED_BROKENHILLS
6 = CHAD_CONFIRMED - When you report 5 to Marcus this gets set. You get to choose if you wanna help to bring him down.
7 = CHAD_ARRESTED - Obvious
8 = CHAD_KILLED - Obvious.

Cut out snippets from the Chad quest:

Code:
VCWALACE.INT
Node039
if ((global_var(300) == 1) then
{276}{}{Out of curiosity, how much do you pay for your uranium?}
Node042
{292}{}{Funny you should mention that. The price has been going up of late... nothing we can't afford,
 mind you. We're certainly getting a better deal than Gecko. Those filthy scavengers need the uranium 
 much more than we do.}

HCMARCUS.INT

if (global_var(300) == 4) then begin
{192}{}{Chad took $6000 from the rep in Gecko. The rep was complaining about the price… said it’d been going up.}
{205}{mcs28}{Keep your eye on him, will you? I want to catch him red-handed.}
{206}{}{No problem.}

HCOUTFIT

You only go to Node001 for your first conversation, after that you start with Node012. They are basically identical.

Node001
If GVAR 300 == 1, 2 or 3 - {108}{}{What can you tell me about Chad?}
goto Node005

Node005            {125}{}{You got questions about Chad? Like what?}
                   {126}{}{Is he skimming off the top?}

goto Node016       {154}{}{Is he skimming off the top? Not as far as I can tell. For a load of uranium, we charge $5,000.
                           We get back $5,000. Ain’t no skimming there, far as I can tell. He’s got a nice place and always 
                           seems to have plenty of cash, but he might’ve brought that with him when came here.}

back to Node005 -  {127}{}{Do you trust him?}

goto Node017 -     {158}{}{Do I trust him? Obviously … to an extent. I trust him to run my caravans for me. He might be
                           shady, but ‘til he gives me a reason not to trust him, I’ll keep on like I have.}

back to Node005 -  {128}{}{What can you tell me about him?}

goto Node018 -     {162}{}{Lessee. He came to Broken Hills out of the desert. He didn’t have much but his smarts. He looked
                           like he was being hunted by someone, but wouldn’t say who. He was always real quiet about his past.
                           And … he’s a hell of a caravan master. That’s all.}

back to Node001

If GVAR 300 == 8 - {109}{}{Sorry about Chad. He had it coming.}

goto Node020       {167}{}{He had it coming? You piece of crap, money ain’t worth killing over. Get the hell out of
                           my store.}         //set outfitter=banned

back to Node001

If GVAR 300 == 4, 5 or 8 (8 should probably be 7) - {110}{}{Guess your caravan master Chad is in deep shit now.}

goto Node021 -     {169}{}{Any trouble he’s in, he made for himself. Too bad… he was a hell of a caravan master. You want
                           something?}

Node012 is different from Node001 in that to ask about Chad, it only checks for GVAR 300 == 2 (and not for 1, 2 or 3).
Why, and does that mean anything?
Oh, and to say that Chad is in deep shit looks for GVAR 300 == 4, 5 or 7 (not 8). So I guess it really shold be a 7 in Node001.

I propose something like this:
Code:
global_var(300) == BH_CHAD
1 = CHAD_SUSPICIOUS - Marcus asked you to check him out.

2 = CHAD_RUMOR_GECKO - Go to Gecko. Find out Chad took $6000 from the rep there.
Maybe make it so you can only find the Gecko rep in Gecko when you go there with the caravan, or if not then make it so you can only talk to him about Chad  when gvar 300 is 1 or 3

3 = CHAD_RUMOR_BROKENHILLS - Talk to the caravan outfitter in Broken Hills. Find out that they only get $5000 from Chad

4 = CHAD_CONFIRMED_GECKO - This could be when you have heard CHAD_RUMOR_GECKO and CHAD_RUMOR_BROKENHILLS (in whatever order?) or to put it differently, $6000 - $5000 = $1000 = skimming. You can report this to Marcus, but he tells you to keep looking.

5 = CHAD_CONFIRMED_BROKENHILLS - Don't know what this could be, maybe the suitcase like it is now. Or better yet just some documents. Scrap the advanced lock on the door part. It should be enough to make it so you can only find the evidence once you know what you are looking for.

6 = CHAD_CONFIRMED - When you report 5 to Marcus this gets set. You get to choose if you wanna help to bring him down.
7 = CHAD_ARRESTED - Obvious
8 = CHAD_KILLED - Obvious.
Sorry for the state of this post but I just quickly tried to compile some old notes I had laying around.
Anyway, what do you guys think about this?

Looks great to me, Detective :salute:

I too found the Chad quest a bit lame. But then
i find BH to be one of the weakest towns anyway
so i figured it fit right in :mrgreen:

My thought:

Changing something that are not that realistic. Such as, you can 'feed' NPCs drugs/wines, this is OK since you can say the protagonist offers them. But using super stimpack on somebody makes less sense to me, how could a healthy person ignores you if you inject him/her?

utunnels said:
My thought:

Changing something that are not that realistic. Such as, you can 'feed' NPCs drugs/wines, this is OK since you can say the protagonist offers them. But using super stimpack on somebody makes less sense to me, how could a healthy person ignores you if you inject him/her?

True that it is an exploitable 'feature' but what the heck, Fallout is not a simulator :wink:

OFC the hp negation could be replaced with something along the lines of healing powder, ie. losing 2 perception for each unit used.

Is there any way to and any interest in adding an option in NPC combat control to never burst? Sick of Cassidy unloading 8 shotgun shells into one wolf! :p

talk2michael999 said:
Is there any way to and any interest in adding an option in NPC combat control to never burst? Sick of Cassidy unloading 8 shotgun shells into one wolf! :p

How about giving him a weapon without burst? Sniper rifles etc work just fine. Then again there really isn't a lack of shotgun shells in the game tbh.

RP prob

Ok i was recommended to ask here about the RP and Patch, i found a copy of fallout2 on my old pc and decided to take another play at it after i read about killaps RP.. for some reason the patch and the RP won't install..it just gives me ( Fallout 2 Restoration Project must be installed to the Fallout 2 installation directory ) doesn't it just go into blackisle/fallout2 ? thats where it did detect.. ? i've googled this problem and found other ppl had this prob but no answers to it, anyone know?

Re: RP prob

thenovocastrian said:
Ok i was recommended to ask here about the RP and Patch, i found a copy of fallout2 on my old pc and decided to take another play at it after i read about killaps RP.. for some reason the patch and the RP won't install..it just gives me ( Fallout 2 Restoration Project must be installed to the Fallout 2 installation directory ) doesn't it just go into blackisle/fallout2 ? thats where it did detect.. ? i've googled this problem and found other {It's "people". You can write legibly. Don't bother crying about it.} had this prob but no answers to it, anyone know?
First off, this thread is for RP content discussion, not technical issues. Anyway, the installer looks for fallout2.exe and will only install there. Make sure that file is in the directory where the installer is trying to install to.

@Darek
Yeah, that quest is kinda lame I'll admit. I had no real information about how it should be setup other than "money is being skimmed, see if Chad is really guilty." That quest was fleshed out during the time when I was the only one working on the RP. It's hard to design a quest, write dialogue for it, map it, and code it as one person. It's like a one man game game company!

When I said no new content, I didn't mean old content wouldn't be improved. Then again, I don't want everyone to expect that I'll go back and redo every single RP quest. That's not gonna happen. However, if there are any quests that are particularly lame and we have information that can be dug up about them, I'll consider reworking them. The Chad quest is a perfect example.

I probably won't follow all the discussion here, so once everyone is set on things, a nice summary pmed to me would be appreciated. :) Yeah, I really can't juggle all that's on my plate these days...

Darek said:

Wow, I had no idea there was so much existing information about the Chad quest. I'm all for making these changes and would be happy to help in any way (and by "any way," I mean writing dialogue, since that's all I know how to do).

yeah when I did the chad quest, it did feel that it could have been a lot better, maybe more multiple choices, and consequences, I think the changes would help a lot, Im all for it as well

If I kill Kaga when it's not the 5th encounter, will I still get the other encounters? I knocked him out during I think the 3rd encounter and killed him, but I'm wondering if I should have waited till the 5th time so I could get some better gear from him. Thanks.

talk2michael999 said:
If I kill Kaga when it's not the 5th encounter, will I still get the other encounters?

Once you kill him, he's dead. Thus, no more encounters.

Isn't Kaga one person?
I recall I encountered 2 guys with that name (a tribal guy and a man with a pistol).

They are the same Kaga, the tribal version ran away, got geared and came back as a man in a pistol.

EDIT: Curses, reply got ninja'ed :P

Hmm, but how could he upgrade his equipments and level up in only a few days.

:shock:

And even if I kill the very first version, the later version still comes.

Like you do :P

Edit: You might have hit a threshold level where he 'leveled' his gear and skills, hence why you might find him a tribal now and then a pistol toting raider a level or 2 later

Edit #2: that might be a bug then.

There's a minor display problem I noticed in original Fallout 2, maybe it can be fixed?
When your character climbs a ladder and reaches the top which triggers map changing, he will be suddenly at the bottom of the ladder before the screen goes black.

Re: RP prob

First off, this thread is for RP content discussion, not technical issues. Anyway, the installer looks for fallout2.exe and will only install there. Make sure that file is in the directory where the installer is trying to install to.

My apologies, i followed a link and came to this thread. Thanks Killap, i know where the problem is now. And a huge thanks for your patches and the RP, i love your work !

Dravean said:
Darek said:

Wow, I had no idea there was so much existing information about the Chad quest. I'm all for making these changes and would be happy to help in any way (and by "any way," I mean writing dialogue, since that's all I know how to do).
I was actually considering asking you about that earlier, before I forgot all about it. :)
I'm leaving on vacation soon so can't do any Fallout stuff for a while, but maybe we can do something about Chad later?

Back