Fallout 2 Savegame Editor

vad

It Wandered In From the Wastes
I am making universal savegame editor for Fallout 2, but because of dialup internet I can’t test it on really big mods, such as Megamod. Is there anybody here, who can test editor?

Main page.
Universal Fallout & Fallout 2 savegame editor

1. Usage

If you don't have software to unpack archives use 7-zip(http://www.7-zip.org) it's free.
If Fallout is installed in "Program Files", you may have problems(editor doesn't see savegames, doesn't save changes...).
After you finished editing, click "Save" button under the list of savgames to apply the changes.

2. Miscellaneous information

Editing of inventory is dangerous, because information about format is incomplete!(Backup savegames)
- Changing quantity is almost 100% safe. You can set quantity to zero(very bad idea), but why would you?
- The transformation from one item to another - a bit dangerous.
- Creating items - very dangerous.

If you delete map from "List of *.sav files"(Maps tab), it will return map to its original state next time when you visit it. (When you delete maps from list, you must be in some other location or savegame will be damaged). May be useful to respawn accidentally killed NPC or something like that.

If you change character stats, better change "Bonus Stats" than "Base Stats". In game stats = base + bonus, but some of base stats are recalculated by game engine at each load. Also some stats have ranges can be seen there: http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=664636#664636

3. Misc tab. "Bugfixes"

"Ghost mode" box must always be uncheked. If it is checked, then I bet you are "drawn under objects and scenery and cannot be seen by other critters"
Some information: http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=662138

"Clear combat info" button: If you save in combat, it can corrupt your savegame and you will receive message that game unable to load savegame. Button clears combat info and turns combat mode off.

Last edited:
It works like a charm

I just tested it on a mib88 installed fallout2. It works like a charm so far. I changed around in my inventory, perks and character skills without any problems.

Great job!! :clap:

Many thanks Vad.

Great program you have made. Works fine with RP and MM. :ok:

Will it continue to be hosted at TeamX? So it can be recommended to people who have messed up their game and need to fix something?

i tried that with Mib88 megamod and it gave me an error :
...access violation at adress 0040A5DD in module F2se.exe. Read of adress 00000008. :? how to fix it ?

Send me savegame on [deleted because of spambots] If compressed folder with save will be larger than 1 megabyte then send me only save.dat file.
I will try to get megamod and solve a problem.

It worked perfectly for me with the Megamod.
I like it a lot. :D

Is there any chance that editing Map_vars and Local_vars could be implemented? Also, to be able to change the Karma level would be good.

cheers

The main problem with .sav files is that they are archives. But even if I will unpack them somehow, I don’t know where I can get names for Local_vars. Without names they seem useless for me.
What do you mean by Karma level? All karmas are stored in GVARs. The editor was updated on November, 6th and now there is the list of karmas with corresponding GVAR.

i may confirm, this editor worked fine with Restoration Pack 1.2 for me too. :bow:

very handy program, thank you, vad, ПОЗДРАВЛЯЮ ТЕБЯ! :- )

@ vad
He, about the Karma thing, I knew that but had forgotten it (I compared your editor with FALCHE, which don't have GVARs and therefore handles it differently), sorry. :roll:

The names for the Local_vars can be found in the official uncompiled scripts, though that wouldn't help for the mods, and it would probably be too much work. :)
Even without the names it wouldn't be completely useless, since people can look at a script and find what number means what.
But I have no idea how the LVARs are being saved, so I don't know if it would be worth the time doing it.

I found how to pack/unpack sav files and read TeamX document about sav file format. Map_vars editing is very easy. But Local_vars are stored for all scripts which are somehow connected with this map (items, critters, etc). So some maps have hundreds of LVARs and they are all stored in one array. I even don’t know how to separate them to corresponding scripts.
But I will have a lot of free time next week. So probably I will add Map_vars and Local_vars editing.

vad said:
So some maps have hundreds of LVARs and they are all stored in one array. I even don’t know how to separate them to corresponding scripts.
Ouch! I didn't think it would be that complicated, at the least I expected there to be some reference to what script they belong to. Glad the MVARs are easy anyway. Thanks for looking into it at least and if you do add the LVARs I'll try to see if I can make some sense of it.

vad said:
I am not sure that it will open any sav because of imperfect data about sav format. So this version is for test only.
Opens and modifies RP 1.3 saves just fine. Very nice program you have here. Keep up the good work!

nevermind Vad, old version of your editor began to work for me after i completed Arroyo Temple trial... :mrgreen:

@ vad
Thanks for the new version. I tried to edit the LVAR of Jo about giving the Ghost Farm quest after pissing him off first, and it worked just fine.
Like killap said, keep up the good work!

cheers

Again new version. Fixed a bug that occurred when there are no items in inventory. In megamod the first spear was removed from inventory that is the reason why bug showed up.

...great now it works great...but lame thing happens, when i try to use F2se after i used F2Wedit ( program that can edit items .pro files )
...well i open program succesfully without errors...and i can edit everything...stats etc...but when i try to change any item through inventory menu it gives me error... access violation at adress blah blah blah...both programs have all info about new items that come with this mod, like GGG or Steyr etc... so idont see a problem and what's causing it to crash :cry:

Back