Fallout 2 mod Fallout 2: Weapons Redone v2.3

Oh, really? Neat.
I've only ever seen it in San Francisco.
Either way, it's not got a night sight, but it is rather more powerful than the standard FN FAL, and it also fires a 20 round burst (the whole clip)

Minigun Jim said:
Oh, really? Neat.
I've only ever seen it in San Francisco.
Either way, it's not got a night sight, but it is rather more powerful than the standard FN FAL, and it also fires a 20 round burst (the whole clip)

Then why change it?

Some more news for v0.8:

All pistols except the ones without recoil will cost 5 AP. The Desert Eagle will also get a range increase.

5mm JHP DR will be upped to 50, as I just realised that when the Assault Rifle has become so powerful, the miniguns have as well... and it would really blow if the Avenger went more powerful than the Vindicator.

All pistols except the ones without recoil will cost 5 AP... OR only the Magnum and the .223 pistol will cost 5 AP and the rest will cost 4. What do you think?

I think it's fine... the .233 has a really small cartridge, so I'm sure it's not a semi-automatic pistol, but rather, a hand-cannon (could you restore the old sound? BOOOOOOOOOM in Fallout 1 kicked ass!). The Magnum is a revolver, so that's fine, too, although Magnum revolvers are helluva powerful and reliable, some are more powerful than rifles from what I've heard.

5mm JHP DR will be upped to 50, as I just realised that when the Assault Rifle has become so powerful, the miniguns have as well... and it would really blow if the Avenger went more powerful than the Vindicator.

Yeah, there's this little problem when you change ammunition... although I believe that anyone packing a Avenger Minigun in the endgame using AP bullets is really going to make a mess outta many people's armor. Maybe I'm biased, because I'm a Minigun fan by nature, I mean, spraying lots and lots of bullets in a area and killing everything? I'm in! The more bullets being sprayed, the better!

Then why change it?

I dunno, maybe give it more damage so we can have a powerful Automatic Rifle in the end game?

Slaughter Manslaught said:
I think it's fine... the .233 has a really small cartridge, so I'm sure it's not a semi-automatic pistol, but rather, a hand-cannon (could you restore the old sound? BOOOOOOOOOM in Fallout 1 kicked ass!).

The .223 is a rifle that has been rebuilt into a pistol. The firing sound ID of the .223 is 69 (45 in hexadecimal numbers) in both games, so the sound files must have been changed. The BOOOOOOOOOOM sound might still be in Fallout 2's files somewhere, but because of the incredibly uninformative way sounds are being stored in the Fallout games (just a bunch of vaguely named, unplayable sound files that each are recognised by the engine by a completely random sound ID which is not listed anywhere), finding the BOOOOOOOOOM sound among Fallout 2's files and finding its sound ID would be like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with your elbows. Sorry.

Magnus said:
I think it's fine... the .233 has a really small cartridge, so I'm sure it's not a semi-automatic pistol, but rather, a hand-cannon (could you restore the old sound? BOOOOOOOOOM in Fallout 1 kicked ass!).

The .223 is a rifle that has been rebuilt into a pistol. The firing sound ID of the .223 is 69 (45 in hexadecimal numbers) in both games, so the sound files must have been changed. The BOOOOOOOOOOM sound might still be in Fallout 2's files somewhere, but because of the incredibly uninformative way sounds are being stored in the Fallout games (just a bunch of vaguely named, unplayable sound files that each are recognised by the engine by a completely random sound ID which is not listed anywhere), finding the BOOOOOOOOOM sound among Fallout 2's files and finding its sound ID would be like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with your elbows. Sorry.
One would think replacing the sound file with the one from F1 would do the trick but it doesn't. Insta crash when the gun is fired. Never looked into why this is the case though.

killap said:
One would think replacing the sound file with the one from F1 would do the trick but it doesn't. Insta crash when the gun is fired. Never looked into why this is the case though.

After replacing the sound file must use special program "RegSnd" from TeamX site.

http://www.teamx.ru/files/utils/regsnd1.4.rar

This program updates SNDLIST.LST file with information about new and changed ACM-files in \DATA\SOUND\SFX.

huh? I thought changing the SFX of the .223 in fallout 2 was as simple as you said. Don't remember getting an error though.
In the past I installed the childeren patch for fallout 1 several times without succes. They seem in for a while only to be kicked out later again. why no idea... I believe this goes for the SFX of the .223 as well.

So, looks like it's a good fix... can anyone test it?
IF the fix works okay, maybe Killap could add in his next update a optinal add during installing for getting back the good ol' BOOOOOOOM sound? I loved it, when I used the .233 in Fallout, I KNEW that was a good gun.

Oracle said:
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=131

I believe I used that file in the past. I did however undat the file and replaced the sound file with the one in the dat file...
Meh? I did this for the initial 1.1 release of the RP and I was flooded with crash reports that only stopped when removing the sfx file...

Cubik2k said:
killap said:

After replacing the sound file must use special program "RegSnd" from TeamX site.

http://www.teamx.ru/files/utils/regsnd1.4.rar

This program updates SNDLIST.LST file with information about new and changed ACM-files in \DATA\SOUND\SFX.

I did not do this. Perhaps I shall try this.

v0.8 is up for the grabs, with a lot of changes and improvements.

Changes in v0.8:

All single shot weapons that also have burst mode (except shotguns) now have a burst range that is 5 hexes shorter than their single shot mode. This should be mostly noticeable with the Tommy Gun (it is better)

The Combat Shotgun, H&K CAWS and Pancor Jackhammer now have bursting ranges that are 2, 4 and 6 hexes shorter than their single shot ranges, respectively (the two latter are much better, but I plan to add a small DR increase to shotgun ammo and perhaps a dmg mod of 3/2).

Improved Flamer now has the default range of 5, since hotter fuel burns faster.

The Desert Eagle and its upgrade have a range of 30, since the Desert Eagle is known to be very accurate and long-ranged for a semi-automatic pistol.

Putting an extended magazine on the Desert Eagle now yields a capacity of 14 instead of 20, as the Desert Eagle is also known to be hampered by a small clip size due to its gas-operated firing mechanism.

The 10mm Pistol and the Desert Eagle cost 5AP to fire again.

The Bozar does 45-90 damage and has a different sound.

The M60 has a single-shot mode that costs 5AP and has a range of 40, and it has a capacity of 60.

The Light Support Weapon now has a single-shot mode that costs 5AP and has a range of 45. It also has a 20% bonus to hit, due to its small scope.

The sledgehammers cost 1 less AP to swing, at the cost of 1 range.

The Ripper does 17-36 damage.

5mmJHP has a DR modifier of 48.

The Assault Rifle and its upgrade have a hit bonus of 20% instead of 40%, and their single shot ranges are reduced by 5.

The Assault Rifle and its upgrade fire 9 bullets per burst instead of 8.

The Assault Rifle now has a capacity of 27, three bursts per clip. Putting an extended magazine on it yields a capacity of 90, ten bursts per clip.

All of the FN FALs now have a clip size of 30. They still fire 10 bullets per burst, except the HPFA, which fires 15, but has a 20% bonus to hit that the others do not have.

I have not tested the FN FAL/7.62mm caliber amount increase yet. The worst that can happen is that all unused FN FALS you find on fallen enemies are loaded with 20 bullets, but have a capacity of 30. The best is of couse that they are fully loaded. Clips bought at merchants should be 30 and 30 bullets, but it's not a sure thing. If this doesn't work, I'll change it back.

I'll look into the sound thing in the next version, as I'd like to add the boom sound to the Bozar.

Weird... why did you change those? I did not test then, but looks like they made pistols a nice alternative in battle...

I think the Flamer's range is too small. I am sure that a flame can fire farther than that. That, and hauling super-heavy fuel tanks has to be worth something.

Weird... why did you change those? I did not test then, but looks like they made pistols a nice alternative in battle...

I think the Flamer's range is too small. I am sure that a flame can fire farther than that. That, and hauling super-heavy fuel tanks has to be worth something.

I changed the Desert Eagle because one of those suckers can weigh up to 2 kilos and takes a lot of practice to use properly. If I were to keep the values, there would be no reason not to give the 14mm Pistol 4AP cost as well, which would be a bit overmuch. Then the energy pistols would require 3 AP, and so on. The Desert Eagle now has a range of 30, which makes it far more accurate than the Magnum, and also a bigger clip. As for the 10mm pistol, it would be silly to have one pistol cost 4AP for no apparent reason. I might still change my mind about these pistols, though.

Remember that the flamer firing animation only reaches so far. It would look stupid if the target got burned without the flame ever touching him. I am not sure exactly how far it goes, though, so in v0.9 I will make the F/IF ranges 7/6. As for the weight tradeoff, remember that both flamers used to do 40-90 damage, whereas now they do 50-95 and 60-100.

Woah, Woah, Woah, WOooaahhh! I beg you to reconsider. The sledge hammer as a weapon is not something that is easy to swing. You think about it logically and the act of hefting and swinging it is not an easy task. Keep the AP as it were and think about the length of the sledgehammer shaft; easily two hexes.....

Magnus said:

What? why? This is a pretty significant change, and
i've never seen any problem with the sledgehammers.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

In general you've made some good improvements, but as
i've said before IMO i would strongly reccomend putting game
balance over realism. It's a game remember, not reality.
And as someone mentioned before, watch out for power
creep when making changes to ammo. Keep up the good work.[/quote]

Hotel California said:

Woah, Woah, Woah, WOooaahhh! I beg you to reconsider. The sledge hammer as a weapon is not something that is easy to swing. You think about it logically and the act of hefting and swinging it is not an easy task. Keep the AP as it were and think about the length of the sledgehammer shaft; easily two hexes.....

Agreed. Sledgehammers are hard as hell to swing, and should be a slow and powerful weapon. Lowering the AP makes no sense.

Dravean said:
Hotel California said:

Agreed. Sledgehammers are hard as hell to swing, and should be a slow and powerful weapon. Lowering the AP makes no sense.

All right, unpopular change here :lol: Will all of you please remember that the Super Sledge by default costs 4AP to swing and thrust for 2 hexes and requires a ST of 5? Anyway, I have uploaded a quick new version, see below:

Changes in v0.8b:

The 10mm Pistol costs 4 AP to fire, as it is the lightest and automaticest and first and commonest pistol in the game.

The sledgehammers have traditional attacks again, as the 4AP cost was baaad.

The Flamer and Improved Flamer have ranges of 7 and 6, respectively.

Hope this is better!

Nice work with that by the looks of things, and thanks for running with the single shot mode for big guns. I've been playing a Big Guns char to test out the new Bozar, but even if you can carry another Big Gun, you end up taking a Small Gun or Energy Weapon instead so you you didn't waste ammo.

The 7.62mm clip increase is a nice simple solution to the rarity issue, especially as the ghoul merchant in Gecko readily spawns cheap 7.62mm in small amounts.

About the AP costs for pistols. Originally the Magnum was a useful gun because its low AP cost gave an average character 2 shots a round. Once you got Bonus Ranged Attacks, you could do 2 shots to the eyes a turn for serious damage.
That was balanced by the short range and small clip size. You swapped the AP to the Eagle because it was a semi-automatic, but then with an extended clip it became an incredible weapon. Now you've put the Eagle back to 5AP, and there's now no big rapid fire pistol for snipers until the gausspistol. Careful with the realism over balance. Remember, you're also modding *laser pistols* . :P

Why did you change the burst ranges by the way? I'm curious, because I never bothered to burst at long range. You never seem to hit as burst has an accuracy penalty anyway.

Like I suggested before, careful on the shotguns. Auto shotguns play havoc with unarmoured foes anyway from the high dmg and accuracy, so that change would probably overpower them vs early foes and underpower them in late game.

Minigun Jim said:
Nice work with that by the looks of things, and thanks for running with the single shot mode for big guns. I've been playing a Big Guns char to test out the new Bozar, but even if you can carry another Big Gun, you end up taking a Small Gun or Energy Weapon instead so you you didn't waste ammo.

The 7.62mm clip increase is a nice simple solution to the rarity issue, especially as the ghoul merchant in Gecko readily spawns cheap 7.62mm in small amounts.

About the AP costs for pistols. Originally the Magnum was a useful gun because its low AP cost gave an average character 2 shots a round. Once you got Bonus Ranged Attacks, you could do 2 shots to the eyes a turn for serious damage.
That was balanced by the short range and small clip size. You swapped the AP to the Eagle because it was a semi-automatic, but then with an extended clip it became an incredible weapon. Now you've put the Eagle back to 5AP, and there's now no big rapid fire pistol for snipers until the gausspistol. Careful with the realism over balance. Remember, you're also modding *laser pistols* . :P

Why did you change the burst ranges by the way? I'm curious, because I never bothered to burst at long range. You never seem to hit as burst has an accuracy penalty anyway.

Like I suggested before, careful on the shotguns. Auto shotguns play havoc with unarmoured foes anyway from the high dmg and accuracy, so that change would probably overpower them vs early foes and underpower them in late game.

I have tested the 7.62mm increase a bit further, and it looks like we're golden! Any FN FALs you buy or find will be loaded with 30 shots, and it should also be this way with ammo clips you buy at merchants. Ammo stocks you find in crates and lockers are not affected because the game map files contain the total number of rounds, not the total number of clips. For instance, the FN FAL in Liz's secret armory will be loaded with 30 rounds, but have only 20 lying next to it. This should pose no significant irritation.

I will decrease the AP cost for the Magnum in the next version. That way, the 10mm Pistol, the .44 Magnum and the Gauss Pistol will be the only conventional pistols in the game with an AP cost of 4. This is okay because almost all enemies use the Desert Eagle instead, which was the main reason why I changed the Deagle's AP cost back to 5. That, and it's the size of Chuck Norris' scrotum and hard to wield.

I changed the burst ranges for consistency. The Assault Rifles and the Tommy Gun were the only weapons affected, though. The Tommy Gun has a single shot range of 32, and it now has a burst range of 27 rather than 16, but I'm thinking of putting it at 24 since the one in BioShock has a terrible recoil ;) It's not easy being a modder.

The only thing I will do to shotgun ammo is remove its AC modifier, because it is certainly not an armor-piercing ammo. With the increased burst ranges the shotguns should still have the same chance to hit.

Happy shooting!

Back