Fallout 4: The Nature of Generic Bad Dudes

I'm guessing the experiments by Big MT on the region may have prevented the personnel there from even activating or accessing the nukes. Even the Vault wiki can only speculate.

I was thinking more of all those warheads lying around that you blow up using the laser detonator. I'm cool with the ICBMs.

Also, good catch with the barrels in Camp Searchlight. I almost confused those with a dirty bomb.

If I remember correctly there's another truck full of radioactive barrels overhanging Cottonwood Cove, you can lock pick it open and it'll kill everyone.

EDIT: I think we're off topic slightly...erm...

Anyone think the Gunners are just Talon Company reskinned?

Anyone think the Gunners are just Talon Company reskinned?

Yeah, I got same feeling from the Gunners, that they were basically the Talon Company.

I'm pretty sure the Gunners were originally the Talon Company that somehow got bigger or stronger or something after the events of Fallout 3, but then Bethesda most likely thought they were different enough to be a separate faction. I mean, they did the same thing with the T-45 Power Armor and re branded it into T-60.

Did you actually use one of the easter eggs to justify your point? Easter eggs that the actual creators of 2 have regretted excessively inserting into their game with hindsight.
A. Actually, most of the things they have regretted were non Easter egg things like the talking spore plants, intelligent radscoprions, talking deathclaws, Wannamingos, and the actual, non easter-egg, quest giver ghost.

B. Am I using an Easter egg/pop culture reference, in a series all about Easter eggs/pop culture references, to justify silly shit in those games? Yes

But if you want to get "serious" in Fallout(what a joke)
-The highwayman in Fallout 2 was nuclear powered
-Power Armor was nuclear powered in Fallout 1/2
-Energy/Plasma weapons were nuclear powered in Fallout 1/2
-Robots, like Mr Handy, were nuclear powered in Fallout 1/2
-Vaults were nuclear powered
-The GECK had a cold fusion power source
-Fallout 2 let you throw chucks of uranium as a weapon
-Both The Master and the Enclave had nukes(or at least a nuclear reactor) in their bases, which you use in a Hollywood style explosive ending to destroy them

Basically everything that wasn't a normal gun was nuclear powered in Fallout 1/2. Nuclear power was trivialized and commonplace, treated as just another resource everyone had before the war.

Last edited:
This sounds like a case of "I'll just use headcannon and ignore any proof and logic provided by the people debating with me".
This looks like someone's alt account or just a troll.

I don't think so, to me it's just some guy.

Besides if we kept thinking alt accounts this would be account what? 37?

B. Am I using an Easter egg/pop culture reference, in a series all about Easter eggs/pop culture references, to justify silly shit in those games? Yes
Except that the game wasn't entirely easter eggs. Its obvious which parts are supposed to be taken seriously, and which parts are jokes.
-The highwayman in Fallout 2 was nuclear powered
-Power Armor was nuclear powered in Fallout 1/2
-Energy/Plasma weapons were nuclear powered in Fallout 1/2
-Robots, like Mr Handy, were nuclear powered in Fallout 1/2
All of those, except for Power Armor, and some types of energy weapons were powered by "Energy Cells"

It is incredibly unclear what energy cells were to begin with.

Nuclear power was trivialized and commonplace, treated as just another resource everyone had before the war.

Didn't you say "nukes" originally?

Everybody knows about Fallout's "50's nuclear optimism" there's tons of nuclear power references and all that, but the weaponry was always treated with certain respect and fear, and the irony that what destroyed us is used to save us in the end. Well, not always, up until the series got infected by Bethesda that brought the lol-nukes mentality.

Last edited:
Except that the game wasn't entirely easter eggs. Its obvious which parts are supposed to be taken seriously, and which parts are jokes.
So what is Old world Blues for NV then? An Easter egg? or serious?
All of those, except for Power Armor, and some types of energy weapons were powered by "Energy Cells"
Wrong
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Microfusion_cell_(Fallout)
>A medium sized energy production unit. Self-contained fusion plant.
>It is the primary ammunition of all two-handed Energy Weapons in both Fallout and Fallout 2. It can also be used as fuel for the Highwayman.
http://fallout.gamepedia.com/Mr._Handy_design_document
>Power System: Routine power requirement 400.6 KW. One nuclear power unit with 200 KW output
E cells could be used as an alternate fuel source for the Highwayman, but it was primarily powered by a mini nuclear power plants.

Tactics also introduced the fusion battery item, which I suspect got changed into the fission battery of Fo3/NV
but the weaponry was always treated with certain respect and fear
Yeah, I saw all that respect and fear when it they were causally used in Hollywood style explosive endings, with zero consequences to anyone or anything around them, besides the target, in Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics.

Last edited:
Why is this a difficult concept to get?
Because its fundamentally dishonest, especially in respect to newer games in the series like NV, where many of the normal thing in it are Easter eggs/references to things.

From someones Youtube clip, I presume.
What a cute insinuation, but no, I own and have played all the original Fallout games many times over.

What a cute insinuation, but no, I own and have played all the original Fallout games many times over.

Good for you then, you wouldn't have been the first "I watched youtube/read some wiki so I know what I'm talking about"-guy banging his virtual suspenders.
It does sound, though, that you either didn't pay too much attention on those "many times over", or are insisting on some of these points just for some lazy giggles and sport.

Yeah, I saw all that respect and fear when it they were causally used in Hollywood style explosive endings, with zero consequences to anyone or anything around them, besides the target, in Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics.

The Master's nuclear weapon needs a key in order to detonate it. It's kept all the way at Mariposa with the Master's most trusted servant. If that's not respecting how dangerous a nuke is then I don't know what is.

The Enclave are destroyed as a result of their reactor being sabotaged, you can't really count that as a nuclear weapon ending. Even if you set off the nuke they have, you still need the President's keycard.

No idea about Tactics, never played it.

This looks like someone's alt account or just a troll.
Probably both. The arguments and level of denial are at @Someguy37 levels of denial (could this be an alt of Someguy? Or AccountNameM (the bits of denial seem similar)?). Same amount of denial and dismissal. Same amount of blatant ignorance.

A. Actually, most of the things they have regretted were non Easter egg things like the talking spore plants, intelligent radscoprions, talking deathclaws, Wannamingos, and the actual, non easter-egg, quest giver ghost.
Source? The interviews given with retrospect clearly highlight POP culture easter eggs too among those things they considered to be mistakes. They knew it was bad and have regretted it since.

This must be a joke...:roffle: You can't actually think you can justify a point that ridiculous with such an argument? Even the worst fanboys would not go that far in defending their point. They'd do the smart thing and drop it. Next you'll be telling me that 200 years is not a long time and that the East Coast people are not stupid for not having organized to form a nation :aiee: (before going after House and Vegas again because you can't support an argument without putting down another game in the series).

There is a distinction between the canonical use of references/easter eggs and the ones from pop culture in the games. Even OWB, while being goofy, did balance out those goofy moments with nightmarish use of mad science (most of their experiments and implications were not something to laugh at and the goofy ones even have some implications behind them). The canonical use is mostly due to using similar ideas, cliches and tropes already used but if you want to call the series that uses them as "a series all about Easter eggs/pop culture references", you'll have to start doing the same to every other game in the world. Like your darling Fallout 4.

Anyways, have fun being a mindless Fallout 4 fanboy only capable of defending something by using head-canon and nitpicking other better games in the Fallout series. You'll be gone like all the other Fallout 4 trolls on this site and in fact, I found the picture that sums up your approach to all this discussion perfectly:
66828216.jpg

Except everything that could be even mildly immersion breaking is throw under the "Wild Wasteland" trait in New Vegas.
Besides things like the Kings, or the Boomers, lets not forget OWB's roboscorpions, the seemingly immortal Lobotomite 1 still being alive after a century, or, best of all, the hazard suits that are puppeting skeletons to shoot at you despite the fact the suit doesn't cover thier hands, and the skeletons have no muscles, making them being able to fire the gun impossible.

Source? The interviews given with retrospect clearly highlight POP culture easter eggs too among those things they considered to be mistakes. They knew it was bad and have regretted it since.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Bible_7
Still, because it was Broken Hills, it's best you simply ignore everything that happened there except for the racism angle and quests, the caravans and Chad, the references to the Unity, and Marcus. There are no talking plants, no old ghoul's home, no treasure hunter, no ghoul getting run over, no scorpion intelligence experiments, etc, etc. Same with some aspects of the Sierra Army Depot (the news holodisk, Skynet's "name," etc, etc) . At some point I'll put together a list of things that are going to be dropped from continuity because they are so painful they make sitting on the can squeezing out a load of superheated plasma seem pleasurable by comparison.

http://sugarbombed.com/forums/threads/chris-avellone-interview-part-1.21018/
CA: Even so, when inheriting a franchise, sometimes I, too, take exception to previous decisions as well (talking deathclaws in F2, talking animals, ghosts, Wannamingoes that look like HR Giger knock-off monsters, etc, etc.)

Next you'll be telling me that 200 years is not a long time and that the East Coast people are not stupid for not having organized to form a nation :aiee: (before going after House and Vegas again because you can't support an argument without putting down another game in the series).
Its no more stupid then the people of the four states area(Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico) achieving nothing in 200 years time besides being spear wielding tribals who had no farms, no roads, no mines, no concept of things like calendars.

While the people of the west coast had developed actual cities, and established nations.

And while the people of the east coast, while in a far worse off state then California, still achieved building places like Megaton and Diamond City 100+ years ago, organized militia groups, like the Minutemen, to combat hostile forces, and at least made an attempt to found a nation or two with things like the Commonwealth Provisional Government, and had established trade going all the way up and down the coast from The Commonwealth to the Broken Banks, somewhere south of Washington D.C.

Now that I think about it.... how did the people of the four states commonwealth not achieve even east coast level of development in 200 years time, despite not being hit anywhere near as had?

Even the Midwest was more devloped before the MwBoS came in Tactics.

Last edited:
This sounds like a case of "I'll just use headcannon and ignore any proof and logic provided by the people debating with me".
Headcannon and lies to be honest. I pointed out that nowhere in New Vegas Super Mutants heal by radiation after he said they do as to prove some point he made.
Oh yeah, I need to add this (I am still reading, I am a very slow reader and there are like 7 pages of this to go through). I am a Fallout New Vegas modder and Super Mutants neither in Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas heal from radiation, the only ones healing from radiation are ghouls and even those only heal from Glowing Ones radiation.
So yeah, under the hood of Fallout New Vegas there is nothing to make Super Mutants in Fallout New Vegas heal by radiation.
He calls me a liar.
Because it blatantly untrue. I've even went in-game and tested it, and super mutants are regenerating HP while standing in high radiation areas like outside Vault 87
Then @Prone Squanderer comes by and also proves I am not lying.
I've tested the Super Mutant radiation healing in New Vegas, it doesn't happen for me no matter how long a mutant stands somewhere radioactive.

Greed doesn't even acknowledge when he is proven wrong. Worst than that he makes up his own reasons (proven by him stomping his foot like a little kid and saying SM heal from radiation after I checked if the SM heal or not and then he calls me a liar) :lmao:.

He does make a good point here and there, but I can't take someone serious when they make up their own "facts" and when faced with actual proof they are lying they call the other parties liars instead :facepalm:.
I decided to spend no more time deabating because Greed is one of those blind ones that no matter if you stick the truth up their noses all they do is calling you a liar even when they know they are the ones lying :shrug:. Let him live in his happy little fantasy world inside his own head, the real world is too scary for him to deal with :puppy-dog:.

Greed doesn't even acknowledge when he is proven wrong. Worst than that he makes up his own reasons (proven by him stomping his foot like a little kid and saying SM heal from radiation after I checked if the SM heal or not and then he calls me a liar) :lmao:.

He does make a good point here and there, but I can't take someone serious when they make up their own "facts" and when faced with actual proof they are lying they call the other parties liars instead :facepalm:.
I decided to spend no more time deabating because Greed is one of those blind ones that no matter if you stick the truth up their noses all they do is calling you a liar even when they know they are the ones lying :shrug:. Let him live in his happy little fantasy world inside his own head, the real world is too scary for him to deal with :puppy-dog:.
Not only that, it also resorts to nitpicking at the inconsistencies in the entire setting and looks for flaws in places where no one would even bother to look at so that it can make its beloved game look good in comparison. Plus, it seems to considers tribalism to be an invalid form of civilisation in the setting since it often resorts to referring to the tribes of the West Coast as not amounting to some form of civilisation (based on its most recent post here) as they are apparently more backwards and primitive compared to the East Coast somehow since the East Coast can build 'modern' cities unlike the tribes with pointed sticks, settlements, customs and cultures.

Rather pathetic of it if I'm being honest. As much as I dislike 4, you won't see me actively looking for flaws to poke holes into (though with 4, it is rather easy to find flaws so that's not much as consolation).

Last edited:
Besides things like the Kings
The Kings were Elvis Impersonators sure, but they made sense within the setting.

If you talk to The King, he mentions that his home was once intended as a 'place of worship', where people tried to dress, talk and act like this deity they worshipped. The King claims that he based his gang off of that, because he respected the place, and wanted it's legacy to go on. There is a legitimate reason as to why they are Elvis impersonators.

Besides, why does it bother you so much? there are people like that in the real world, why do Fallout versions break your immersion.
or the Boomers
??????

What was wrong with the boomers?
lets not forget OWB's roboscorpions
They were intended to be military robots, and were shaped after scorpions. What's the problem?
, the seemingly immortal Lobotomite 1 still being alive after a century
Except that it never says anywhere that Lobomite 1 is the first ever lobotomite. I think "1" is just his position of power among the lobotomites(As in, he's the most powerful of them), as opposed to being when he was created.
or, best of all, the hazard suits that are puppeting skeletons to shoot at you despite the fact the suit doesn't cover thier hands, and the skeletons have no muscles, making them being able to fire the gun impossible.
ok, I'll give you that one.

There are no talking plants, no old ghoul's home, no treasure hunter, no ghoul getting run over, no scorpion intelligence experiments, etc, etc. Same with some aspects of the Sierra Army Depot (the news holodisk, Skynet's "name," etc, etc) .
To be fair, I think that Chris Avelone took that a bit too far in the other direction to be honest. I mean yeah, there is a lot of stuff in Fallout 2 that kinda needs to be taken out, but he doesn't have to remove absolutely everything that is even slightly a reference to something.

I mean, yeah some of that stuff like the plant and scorpion needed to be removed, but the old ghoul's home, the treasure hunter and ghoul getting run over seemed like a perfect amount of comic relief for the setting.

Same with Skynet. That name only has basis in our world. In the Fallout World, I don't get why there can't be an Artificial Intelligence named Skynet.
Its no more stupid then the people of the four states area(Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico) achieving nothing in 200 years time besides being spear wielding tribals who had no farms, no roads, no mines, no concept of things like calendars.

While the people of the west coast had developed actual cities, and established nations.
Let me put it this way.

The tribals of the four states developed there own culture, and there own way of surviving. The places they live in are far more rural, so it makes sense that they'd revert to tribalism quicker.

There is a HUGE difference between groups reverting to tribalism not forming civilizations, and groups that supposedly still have knowledge of civilization not forming them.

Like seriously, almost everyone in Fallout 3 and 4 somehow knows about the pre-war world, and therefore probably understands the idea of centralized government, but in all that time, not one person tried to seize power, or make any effort towards rebuilding.

Back