Fallout Developers Profile - Jesse Heinig

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Brother None, Dec 11, 2008.

1. TychoXI

TychoXI Still Mildly Glowing

Oct 20, 2008
    Ooo... Ooo, would you do that Mr. Heinig? Pretty please??

Also, hope to see you working on a niiiice cRPG soon!

2. mountaingoat

mountaingoat First time out of the vault

Oct 30, 2008
    The Oasis/Harold concept gets a whole new meaning if you look upon it from a different perspective.
    I think it’s sort of a symbolic thing. Harold represents the original fallout idea that is slowly being suffocated by the fame (bob the tree) which has growth to legendary proportions through all these years.
    The tree worshipers are the various fallout fans and each one worships that fame for personal reasons.
    According to Bethesda only the young ones to the series (little girl) can see that idea as it is, the elders (old timers) are blinded by nostalgia, they can’t see Harold but the tree surrounding him.Harold begs you to kill him because the whole fallout idea has lost its initial scope and meaning.
    Now, no matter how you decide to act, there isn’t any different outcome unless you kill Harold, kill the fallout idea that resides inside you, thus stop being a fan.

All other choices are about what are you going to do, as a fallout fan.
    Whether you decide to spread Harold’s seeds to everyone making the idea known to public, or hold that idea only for a small sect of “Worshipers” hiding it from the “Casuals”.
    The game asks you about your stance, as a fallout fan, to the fallout idea but whatever you decide you see no different outcome, as some “others” pull the strings behind the game’s curtains now.

It’s my personal interpretation of course, but I think the quest is a veiled mockery from Bethesda to the old-timers. Harold could exist in Fallout three, but not as a stump.

3. coliphorbs

coliphorbs Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jun 2, 2008
    lol. Oh man. Horribly accurate as it may be, I wouldn't give Emil the credit of coming up with something like this ;)

If he did, then man, I wish they had put as much thought into other quests.

4. mountaingoat

Oct 30, 2008
    Agreed. I give a lot of credit to Emil as a game designer but IMO he is incompetent as a writer. Maybe some key decisions (excess violence, gore) about the game, wasn’t his idea, but Todd’s.

5. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    All major design decisions go through Todd. That's what Todd's position as executive producer means. Bethesda isn't the kind of company where the buck stops at the lead designer, it's the kind of company where the buck on major design decisions is shared by PR and producers

And that's an...interesting interpretation. I don't think even Bethesda is petty enough to abuse a classic character in the way, tho'

6. mountaingoat

Oct 30, 2008
    Judging by the outcome and the new DLC content, this couldn’t be more accurate.

Their PR/sales department plays a determinative role in the direction of the game e.g. to boost sales and appeal a to broader audience, not necessarily RPG gamers, they made it more simple, action oriented.
    I think their approach was to adjust the game to their likes/taste and not embody the deep RPG elements, we were used to, from the originals.

I can see the commitment, and the careness by the devs for the game, but it’s in a completely different direction from its predecessors .
    Hmm,why call it a sequel, then.

7. Ausir

Ausir Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 20, 2003
    I wouldn't be surprised if they went through Pete as well.

8. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    Bethesda is a pretty pecuilar company and its a pretty interesting way to makes games. Certainly not a good way.

They also seem to hold any kind of "pre"-production as small as possible. Which I think is as well not a good move in game development particularly when you want to make deep role playing games that do need a good concept phase. (I am going so far to say, that if you have a small enogh and skilled enough team, you can keep that somewhat short, but I just cant see any way how this can be done with a team that has somewhat aprox 100 members and even think about to achieve a deep and complex RPG experience)

Bethesda makes RPGs for people that dont like RPGs. I would even say that in Bethesdas case the PR department is even pretty dominant.

They did this time placed emphasis around the violance and made no secret out of it in their game at the E3, and it seems that they exactly have hit with this their target audience and most consumers expeceted as well nothing more then a free roam experience with over the top violance. Last time they had some pretty strange demos for the dynamic dialogues in Oblivion which came out to be all scripted for the demo. They took a lot of flak in the forums for this. I can see they definetly did not the same kind of mistake again this time. Its amazing in my eyes. I wish they would learn that way when it comes to improvement in gameplay.

9. Jesse Heinig

Jesse Heinig First time out of the vault

Dec 12, 2008
    A small mod is now in progress - designed primarily to familiarize myself and some associates with the GECK. If it comes out well we'll move on to something more ambitious. I'll post it to NMA and the usual suspects when it's done.

It is not presumed to be "canonical" but it is small enough and obscure enough that it should not give hives to anyone over Fallout lore. It doesn't have Super Mutants or any changes to the history, anyway. :)

10. UncannyGarlic

UncannyGarlic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 6, 2008
    Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if he was the same level as Emil as far as input power goes, maybe even a notch above.

Cheers! :drunk: I'm quite interested to see what you put out and, given the nature of Fallout 3, I don't much care how much it has to do with Fallout. That said, I doubt I'll ever play your mod as I have no intention to purchase Fallout 3 but I'm looking forward to it regardless.

11. Ausir

Ausir Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 20, 2003
  12. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    I saved a part of the log and deleted uninteresting stuff that has had nothing to do with it. Couldn't get the first text lines because my irc program deleted them...

Here Mikael left the chat and right after that, the wall of questions disappeare. :P There is still a bit more in the log, but nothing more about Fallout 1 / 2, etc. so I will not post it. ;)

13. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Interesting stuff

Drilling devs about stuff that happened 10 years ago is funny, you can even tell how they remember little things differently (MCA's infamous death threat story has changed through the years, too)

I remember once asking Leonard about the steam trucks and all but getting chased from his front porch with a cane. Good times.

Interesting stuff about the floaters and deathclaws. Not much of a deep design process there. "Monstars!"

14. Jesse Heinig

Jesse Heinig First time out of the vault

Dec 12, 2008
    As we get older the world gets stranger.