Fallout 1 mod Fallout Fixt in Dosbox?

thfr

First time out of the vault
Hi,

I haven't found anything useful on this when I searched. I'm trying to run Fallout 1 with Fallout Fixt in Dosbox (because I'm on a non-standard platform that doesn't have Wine). Fixt runs, and I can see the changes in the title screen and the credits. When starting a new game, the original intro video and the additional one (where mutants kill Vault 13 members) play.
Now comes the weird part: after the video finishes, the screen goes white, then fades into the first gameplay moment and I can see my character and the cave. However, the screen then immediately turns white again (gradually) and drops me back in the main menu.
This happens with both FULL_CUSTOM and FIXES_ONLY.

It looks like something that should be solvable, but I'm at wits' end. Menu, videos, and main game screen work, only the gameplay doesn't start because it immediately drops me back in the main menu.
This is with Fallout Fixt 0.81a.

Any ideas how I can troubleshoot this?

Doesn't this mod require Sfall? If so, it is not compatible with Dosbox.

Hi,

I haven't found anything useful on this when I searched. I'm trying to run Fallout 1 with Fallout Fixt in Dosbox (because I'm on a non-standard platform that doesn't have Wine). Fixt runs, and I can see the changes in the title screen and the credits. When starting a new game, the original intro video and the additional one (where mutants kill Vault 13 members) play.
Now comes the weird part: after the video finishes, the screen goes white, then fades into the first gameplay moment and I can see my character and the cave. However, the screen then immediately turns white again (gradually) and drops me back in the main menu.
This happens with both FULL_CUSTOM and FIXES_ONLY.

It looks like something that should be solvable, but I'm at wits' end. Menu, videos, and main game screen work, only the gameplay doesn't start because it immediately drops me back in the main menu.
This is with Fallout Fixt 0.81a.

Any ideas how I can troubleshoot this?
Ever fixed it? Having the same problem right now. Was wanting to play with Fixt which has the fixes and new content...

EDIT: I've got these 2 debug files made with a debug version of the Fallout 1 EXE for DOS. The first one is one from GOG's version, the second is Fixt's version. I notice at the end an error with the sound system. But no idea if that's the problem or not.

EDIT 2: Had no idea what to do with the debug log. So plan B and deleted various stuff, put GOG's files and folders, and put back Fixt's ones part by part to know what was the cause. And seems it's the VAULT13.GAM file in DATA/DATA. That thing has infinite parameters on it... One or more are the cause of this. But I can't go through it to find out... Seems to have spoilers in the middle! Cool I have no idea what they were talking about. If anyone that already played the game could find the bug would be cool.

Attachments

Last edited:
Ever fixed it? Having the same problem right now. Was wanting to play with Fixt which has the fixes and new content...

EDIT: I've got these 2 debug files made with a debug version of the Fallout 1 EXE for DOS. The first one is one from GOG's version, the second is Fixt's version. I notice at the end an error with the sound system. But no idea if that's the problem or not.

EDIT 2: Had no idea what to do with the debug log. So plan B and deleted various stuff, put GOG's files and folders, and put back Fixt's ones part by part to know what was the cause. And seems it's the VAULT13.GAM file in DATA/DATA. That thing has infinite parameters on it... One or more are the cause of this. But I can't go through it to find out... Seems to have spoilers in the middle! Cool I have no idea what they were talking about. If anyone that already played the game could find the bug would be cool.

Oh for fuck's sakes
beat into your heads that Sfall (yes even the one from Crafty for Fallout1) *requires* Windows. Simply put Sfall is a .dll file and .dll files *don't* work under DOS. if you'll find an update to crafty's sfall1 on the internet you'll find a way how to run sfall under windows 98 as that's the last one working under dosbox, and Sfall mostly all but requires XP as a minimum now.. with the exception to the latest Crafty's Sfall1, which under certain circumstances is able to run under win98.

So if your machine is not a potato you can try installing a win98 inside your DosBox and install Falout from there. you'll require hard drive file for that, I don't know how to aquire one.

however if there's no wine for your system, than it's probably some old low end crap, and it's not going to work anyways.

Last edited:
Oh for fuck's sakes
beat into your heads that Sfall (yes even the one from Crafty for Fallout1) *requires* Windows. Simply put Sfall is a .dll file and .dll files *don't* work under DOS. if you'll find an update to crafty's sfall1 on the internet you'll find a way how to run sfall under windows 98 as that's the last one working under dosbox, and Sfall mostly all but requires XP as a minimum now.. with the exception to the latest Crafty's Sfall1, which under certain circumstances is able to run under win98.

So if your machine is not a potato you can try installing a win98 inside your DosBox and install Falout from there. you'll require hard drive file for that, I don't know how ot aquire one.

however if there's no wine for your system, than it's probably some old low end crap, and it's not going to work anyways.
I have it here working right now. I see the character in the cave and I can move it. I see the new video appearing and all creatures dead on the cave too, so it's minimally working. Sfall and High Resolution Patch won't work, and I know that. But the rest seems to be working. Unless I'm not having everything in mind (no idea - if there's something I don't seem to know, I'm happy to be explained). But seems to be working. And a picture will go showing it's working indeed. Even shows the new message that appears on the PipBoy which didn't before the mod.

QUESTION: Is OBJ_DUDE.INT important for the mod to work properly? I tried to message the creator of the mod, but it's now allowed, so I'll ping in case no one knows the answer to the question: @Sduibek. If I remove that file, the bug described by the OP stops and I can play the game. With that script there I can't.

So, is it important? I'd prefer not to have the game crash in the middle of the game and let me advance no more or corrupt the save or something. Should I disable some things in the installer or in VAULT13.GAM or wherever? (If yes, hopefully spoilers won't come in the way... Or if it's necessary to come, well, will have to be. Better than having the mod not working, I guess.)

Attachments

• Fallout Fixt on DOSBox.PNG
    Fallout Fixt on DOSBox.PNG
    390.9 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
Fixt has moved certain timer scripts and other stuff into obj_dude.int, so removing it can lead to complications later.

Fixt has moved certain timer scripts and other stuff into obj_dude.int, so removing it can lead to complications later.
Thank you. Pity then. In any case, seems it's not enough. When I leave the cave, the game says I've lost because the vault is dead. The dead rats were also not supposed to be dead (I didn't know). So it's more than that.

I've just asked on the Fixt thread if it can be fixed, since it doesn't seem to need Sfall. Actually I even deleted ddraw.dll and ini from the folder, high res files too and the screen flicker program too. And it works on PC. Just not on DOSBox. So I'm guessing it has to do with the DOS executable. Might need some patch... If no one patches it, if it's a simple patch, I could try myself comparing it to patches done to the Windows version when I have some time (already did a simple one to get debug mode on DOS EXE - but because it was simple... If it's not, will just be a pity). Unless the scripts need Windows stuff inside them. That I have no idea. No idea how they're executed or something.

EDIT: And the dead rats problem seems to be fixed by removing the file WANRATS.INT. Doesn't seem a cool idea be removing files...

I might just play this with the GOG version... No infinite fixes. Pity. If it gets fixed before I advance too much, I'll go back. Or I'll play it again with all the new content and stuff.

Last edited:
So got it working. Not the latest version. Version 6.7.2 alpha (got from here: https://www.mediafire.com/?b88tc6m9h7m26). The 2 bugs start happening on 7.0 alpha. So I'll play with that version (better than nothing, I guess).

Thank you for that! Went looking for an older version haha. After an hour or something, found that archive with them. On 6.7.2, that file has 41 kB, on the newer ones it has 43 kB. Seems to have impacted on something. But it's working, so cool.

For anyone wanting Fixt on DOSBox, install 6.7.2 alpha - until it gets fixed on a newer version (if it does). Hopefully there are no other bugs. If there's any, I'll remember and I'll say here. I've also used Sfall (ddraw) that comes with the testing files here:
http://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/...rked-on-dec-2018.194562/page-188#post-4307860. I've also used the High Resolution mod from Fixt 0.81a. And Screen Refresh from 0.81a too. This so I have an outdated mod with some new things. These 3 things won't work on DOS mode, but will if I decide to continue my save games on PC (I'll be playing on a tablet).

Last edited:
Apologies for the bump. I'm also on Catalina and a bit strapped for memory (so no VM) and unable to downgrade due to work. Has anyone gotten Fixt to work with the DOS version? The above links aren't working anymore. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Apologies for the bump. I'm also on Catalina and a bit strapped for memory (so no VM) and unable to downgrade due to work. Has anyone gotten Fixt to work with the DOS version? The above links aren't working anymore. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Hi. The link for the Mediafire folder I sent is still working (tested now), if that's what you're talking about. Try the version 6.7.2 alpha and it will work. It did with me. Have it working here. Or you could also try Fat Wombat's port and see if it works for you (didn't try myself, at least yet - haven't played Fallout since I got it working xD).

Hi. The link for the Mediafire folder I sent is still working (tested now), if that's what you're talking about. Try the version 6.7.2 alpha and it will work. It did with me. Have it working here. Or you could also try Fat Wombat's port and see if it works for you (didn't try myself, at least yet - haven't played Fallout since I got it working xD).

Hey, thanks for replying!

Unfortunately, it seems like Wombat's ports experienced a massive take down. I tried the Mediafire link and I was getting some errors on DOSBox and the game wouldn't run.

Ok, didn't know they had been taken down... But the Fixt from the link should have worked for you. What are the problems? What did you do? (Like, how did you install and things like that) If I can have it working, anyone else should too, I guess.

Ok, didn't know they had been taken down... But the Fixt from the link should have worked for you. What are the problems? What did you do? (Like, how did you install and things like that) If I can have it working, anyone else should too, I guess.

I'm about to retry

But my method will be as follows

Download GOG Fallout Windows Package > Install in PlayOnMac (to get the files) > Apply Fixt 6.7.2a > Copy Fallout folder to my DOSBox directory > Run to test

Keen on also having these installed too (which I would assume come after the Fixt install)

- Extended Flamer Attack Mod [Created by .Pixote.]
- Endgame Mod [Created by Corpse]
- TeamX NPCs 3.5

I've done it differently. Here are the instructions to replicate the version I have (from what I'm reading in notes on the Fallout folder on the tablet here, and also from my memory):
  • Download Fallout Fixt 0.81alpha (latest one so far) and install it somewhere (I've installed with the Purist mode). Example: C:\FalloutFixt081alpha. Must must be a new/empty folder, not a Fallout installation folder.
  • Install the GOG Fallout version (I used the latest until now - 2.0.18) somewhere else, and copy the MUSIC folder, CRITTER.DAT and MASTER.DAT files to Fixt's folder. No need for the GOG version anymore - you can uninstall it.
  • Additional modifications:
  • - Use the HMIDET.386 and HMIDRV.386 files attached to this message. The ones that come with Fixt (even the latest version, 0.81alpha) don't work on DOSBox for some reason. I don't remember where I got them from, but at least they work.
  • - [Optional] Copy the ddraw files from the additional files to Fixt 0.81alpha from here: http://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/...rked-on-dec-2018.194562/page-188#post-4307860 - copy only those 2. If you copy the DATA folder, an error will be shown (when ran on DOS and Windows, so I think those files are not working anymore?).
    NOTE: ddraw will NOT work on DOSBox. If you want to use it (sFall), or High-Res Patch stuff or Fixt's EXE modifications (Sduibek made a few on the Windows EXE itself), which are Windows-only patches/features/whatever, you need F1DP: https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/f1dp-fallout-1-dos-patcher.221053.
  • - On fallout.cfg, set art_cache_size to 16, because with the original 64 it will crash on DOSBox (not on Windows though).
  • Replace VAULT13.GAM on DATA/DATA by the one I've attached. That fixes the problem described by the OP. How was it fixed? Lines can't be longer than 142 characters xD. Not sure why (could be stack things, which in some functions are smaller on the DOS version than on the Windows version). All I changed was to put lines bigger than 142 characters in multiple smaller lines, so that one line alone never goes above 142 characters.
  • Now you can copy the resulting folder to the DOSBox directory where the game will stay.
The final game can be played on DOS and on Windows, not just on DOS. And on Windows, sFall1 and High Resolution Patch will be used (on DOS they won't - they are only used when the Windows executable is used, which it is not on DOS as you use the DOS executable), so additional features can be used there (Fog Of War is one of them, for example).

Using the version like I described, you can play with the same version on DOS and Windows. If you play with different Fixt versions, no idea if they're compatible (could corrupt saves or other things?). This way, it's the same Fixt version - you just have to run either the DOS executable or the Windows executable.

Advice: when you do all that, ZIP the Fallout folder and save it somewhere like I did, so you don't have to do all this ever again xD.

Note: if you install sFall1 and then any time the game crashes, remember to check if you set the resolution correctly. I have it set by default to 1080p and the laptop where I am right now can't take more than 1280x800. So I just set the resolution to 1280x800 and it's back working.

EDIT: I've changed the HMI files. These 2 fix the Sound Blaster 16 problem. I was trying to understand inside the game with a disassembler why this was happening. I noticed it was happening while trying to read the HMIDRV.386 file. So I went looking for other files and these are working perfectly.

UPDATE: No more need for 6.7.2alpha!!! NovaRain pointed me to the right file and seems the problem is fixed with 7.0 and all above that! The instructions have been updated.

Attachments

Last edited:
I'm about to retry

But my method will be as follows

Download GOG Fallout Windows Package > Install in PlayOnMac (to get the files) > Apply Fixt 6.7.2a > Copy Fallout folder to my DOSBox directory > Run to test

Keen on also having these installed too (which I would assume come after the Fixt install)

- Extended Flamer Attack Mod [Created by .Pixote.]
- Endgame Mod [Created by Corpse]
- TeamX NPCs 3.5
Also, be careful putting more mods on top of Fixt. It already includes infinite ones (with modifications from the Fixt creator, so that gets things worse if you attempt to put more mods there). They may not work with Fixt and may crash the game or who knows, maybe they work in the beginning and then corrupt saves, no idea. I prefer to stick with Fixt without any mods that don't come with the installer already.

For example, TeamX's patches are already on Fixt. Infinite patches are already in Fixt. Mods possibly too and you just need to enable them on the Fixt Installer program. If you'll be adding mods, read what's said here about which ones you can't install and other stuff: https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/fallout-fixt-next-release-will-be-some-time-in-jan-2020.194562.

Last edited:
I've done it differently. Steps I have taken (from what I'm reading in notes on the Fallout folder on the tablet here, and also from my memory):
  • Download Fallout Fixt 6.7.2 alpha and install it in a location so that the installation folder is like C:\[some name you choose]. Example: C:\FalloutFixt672a. Must be a new folder (empty folder - not a Fallout installation folder).The folder location must be directly on C:\[game folder] because in my attempts to run the game, it would only run if I didn't change the folder (there was some Fixt version with that issue, no idea if it was this one - just do it to prevent that). So if I installed it on C:\Games\Fallout and then moved the Fallout folder to C:\Fallout, it wouldn't run. So, on Windows, I've installed Fixt on C:\FalloutFixt672a, and then on DOSBox I mount the C drive in DOSBox_C and the FalloutFixt672a folder is right inside DOSBox_C, so that in DOSBox it's still C:\FalloutFixt672a, like I installed in Windows.
  • Install the GOG Fallout version (I used the latest until now - 2.0.18) somewhere else, and copy the MUSIC folder, CRITTER.DAT and MASTER.DAT files to Fixt's folder. After that, all the files in the main folder, and other folders that exist on GOG's version and that don't exist on Fixt's version, copy them to Fixt's folder (like "ereg", "EXTRAS", "Fallout1 Official Survive Guide.pdf"..., just in case they're needed for anything). No need for the GOG version anymore - you can uninstall it.
  • Additional modifications I've done:
  • - I use the HMIDET.386 and HMIDRV.386 files attached to this message. I don't remember where I got them from, but seem to be better than the ones that come with Fixt - even the latest version (I don't remember why they seem to be better, maybe the others didn't get the sound to work or something)
  • - [Optional] Sfall 1.7.6 from the additional files to Fixt 0.81a from here: http://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/...rked-on-dec-2018.194562/page-188#post-4307860
  • - [Optional] High Resolution Pack from Fixt 0.81a
  • - Used fallout.cfg from Fixt 6.7.2 alpha, except I've put art_cache_size to 16 because with the original 64, it would crash on DOSBox
  • - I've disabled MAINMENU.FRM on DATA/ART/INTRFACE so the main menu image is not too big for DOSBox to display (doesn't seem to impact on anything when ran on Windows) - disabled it meaning I renamed it to "MAINMENU - disabled.FRM".
  • On DOSBox settings, Sound Blaster 2 or older must be enabled. Sound Blaster 16 can't get the game to run and will throw a big error in the initial screen (no idea why).
Note: the final game can be played on DOS and on Windows, not just on DOS. And on Windows, Sfall and High Resolution Pack will be used (on DOS they won't - they require Windows), so additional features can be used on Windows (Fog Of War is one of them, which comes with the Sfall mod).

Using the version like I described, you can play with the same version on DOS and Windows. If you play with different Fixt versions, no idea if they're compatible (could corrupt stuff?). This way, it's the same Fixt version - you just have to run either the DOS executable or the Windows executable.

Advice: when you do all that, ZIP the Fallout folder and save it somewhere like I did, so you don't have to do all this again xD.

Thanks so much! Got it up and running. Old saves from my current run don't work but happy to see that it runs.

I do get "Install Error" on the bottom of the main menu—do you also have this?

Keen on solving this Sound Blaster 16 issue—not important—more out of fun

Last edited:
Thanks so much! Got it up and running. Old saves from my current run don't work but happy to see that it runs.

I do get "Install Error" on the bottom of the main menu—do you also have this?

Keen on solving this Sound Blaster 16 issue—not important—more out of fun
You're welcome! If you'd like, do like me and start using only this version (it's not the latest, so doesn't have as many fixes or features, but at least works everywhere - not bad as long as it doesn't crash or corrupt save games or anything like that). Then you can play it wherever you want. You play on the computer and now will go on some trip and would like to play on the phone or tablet? Copy the saved games and that's it. No other problems as you're playing always with the same version.

I don't think you should be getting that error. Doesn't appear with me (images of how it should look on DOSBox and Windows attached).

If you get SB16 working, say something here. I'm curious on why it doesn't work (or "gb"). Only below SB16, for some reason.

PS: I've simplified the text on the instructions. The problem I described on the first point doesn't happen with this Fixt version, so all is cool.

Attachments

• DOSBox.png
    DOSBox.png
    284.5 KB · Views: 229
  • Windows.png
    Windows.png
    920.8 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Back