Fallout 1 mod Fallout Fixt in Dosbox?

You're welcome! If you'd like, do like me and start using only this version (it's not the latest, so doesn't have as many fixes or features, but at least works everywhere - not bad as long as it doesn't crash or corrupt save games or anything like that). Then you can play it wherever you want. You play on the computer and now will go on some trip and would like to play on the phone or tablet? Copy the saved games and that's it. No other problems as you're playing always with the same version.

I don't think you should be getting that error. Doesn't appear with me (images of how it should look on DOSBox and Windows attached).

If you get SB16 working, say something here. I'm curious on why it doesn't work (or "gb"). Only below SB16, for some reason.

I think I know where I messed up—merging the optional Sfall + .81a files on top of the DOSBox installation.

Re: SB16—I had thought it might've been the sound cache but no luck so far. Unsure as to what exactly that error message is reporting. Unfortunately, unable to test via Windows as Catalina isn't friendly with Fallout being run under Wine for the time being.

Attachments

• FalloutD - Jan 22, 2022.png
    FalloutD - Jan 22, 2022.png
    660.9 KB · Views: 213
I think I know where I messed up—merging the optional Sfall + .81a files on top of the DOSBox installation.

Re: SB16—I had thought it might've been the sound cache but no luck so far. Unsure as to what exactly that error message is reporting. Unfortunately, unable to test via Windows as Catalina isn't friendly with Fallout being run under Wine for the time being.
Well, there's no problem having Sfall and High Resolution Patch in the DOS installation. I have the exact same folder on Windows and on the tablet and it runs perfectly. Must have been somewhere else. I can notice the Fixt version is different, so that could be a start. Did you do exactly as I wrote? If you did, I must have missed something. Not sure what though.

I've changed the instructions to be more precise: "Download Fallout Fixt 6.7.2alpha Full Custom and install it somewhere (I've installed with the Purist mode).". Did you do that? Or you installed the Fixes only or the German Uncut and/or not selected the Purist mode? If you didn't install as I wrote now, could you try? Maybe it's that.

Still, not sure why it doesn't show Fallout 1.2 as it does with me. I didn't write anything about having replaced files, so they should be the same as the ones that come with Fixt 6.7.2alpha.

Last edited:
Wait, you copied the rest of the files too on the Google Drive link? You can't do that. Those files are for version 0.81alpha only! You can only copy the Sfall files (both ddraw files), and nothing else.

I've updated the instructions again to be more clear about what files to copy for Sfall and the High Resolution Patch.

Last edited:
Wait, you copied the rest of the files too on the Google Drive link? You can't do that. Those files are for version 0.81alpha only! You can only copy the Sfall files (both ddraw files), and nothing else.

Ahhh, yes, this is where I figured I messed up! Will try again soon! :)

Small update: I've changed the 2 HMI files. Now the Sound Blaster 16 works perfectly with the game.

(And as a curiosity, I'm porting patches like sFall1 to the DOS version)

Small update: I've changed the 2 HMI files. Now the Sound Blaster 16 works perfectly with the game.

(And as a curiosity, I'm porting patches like sFall1 to the DOS version)

What files were they by chance?

Would love to see if it works out!

And another update!!! Big one! Fixt 7.0 and above is now working! This means 0.81alpha also works!! Props to NovaRain for pointing me to the right file ahah. I've updated the instructions. Basically the same, but some things are no longer needed as this is the latest version already.

Just missing the sFall1 port (if anyone reading this would like to see how it's going, there's an "early access" version here I've made (why not?): https://github.com/DADi590/F1DP/releases. I'd also like to port High Res Patch's FOW (Fog Of War), but that will be much harder. The source of the mod is not public (cool...), so it must be reverse engineered (no idea if I can).

Did You actualy made Fo2 engine work under DOS or are you just telling us You don't have acces modern windows PC and or windows x86-64 based tablet?

if all you did was bringing children to Fo1 under DOS, than thank you for reinventing the wheel agin.. Perhaps You're not aware but Fo1 has moved to Fo2 engine now thanks to Fallout: Et Tu, and nobody, who knows this, and has any sanity left, is going to play on Fo1 engine, nobody cares if someone is a steeve jobs's a.k.a "fruit industry" victim, or that someone has a 8+ years old phone uncapable of running a calculator app on it, and can't afford a new one.

However since eltechs went bankrupt and there is no reliable way of running Fo2 in an XP or newer environment under newer Androids, i suggest You focus on bridging that gap...
If You manage to run Fo2 under dos ( with more than 32MB of ram in dosbox like let's say around 2GB of RAM with ~261MB as video cache then say so... That's what people need around here, but as far as I'm concerned DOS has a limit of 32MB per app for a reason, as it's a 8bit system and there's no way 8bit systems can map more virtual space for an app than 32MB, and given Dos is not a multitasking sytem, meaning it can't run more than one app at a given time, means 32MB is adress space limit of MS-DOS like systems

Did You actualy made Fo2 engine work under DOS or are you just telling us You don't have acces modern windows PC and or windows x86-64 based tablet?

if all you did was bringing children to Fo1 under DOS, than thank you for reinventing the wheel agin.. Perhaps You're not aware but Fo1 has moved to Fo2 engine now thanks to Fallout: Et Tu, and nobody, who knows this, and has any sanity left, is going to play on Fo1 engine, nobody cares if someone is a steeve jobs's a.k.a "fruit industry" victim, or that someone has a 8+ years old phone uncapable of running a calculator app on it, and can't afford a new one.

However since eltechs went bankrupt and there is no reliable way of running Fo2 in an XP or newer environment under newer Androids, i suggest You focus on bridging that gap...
If You manage to run Fo2 under dos ( with more than 32MB of ram in dosbox like let's say around 2GB of RAM with ~261MB as video cache then say so... That's what people need around here, but as far as I'm concerned DOS has a limit of 32MB per app for a reason, as it's a 8bit system and there's no way 8bit systems can map more virtual space for an app than 32MB, and given Dos is not a multitasking sytem, meaning it can't run more than one app at a given time, means 32MB is adress space limit of MS-DOS like systems

I'm not sure what's the problem here. You already complained strongly that Fixt wouldn't run on DOS because of sFall1 not being for DOS (which is not even related but anyway). And then in the case of those who need the DOS version, the system is "probably some old low end crap, and it's not going to work anyways.". Then I can either follow your advice and give up, or keep on it. And I don't like the first option that much.

And now you're complaining again after it did work in the end with some work, for some reason I still don't get (why not unsubscribe from the thread if you're not interested in the DOS version at all?). If this thread exists and it wasn't me creating it, then I'm not the only one needing the DOS version. So, for those and for me, I made a program to get sFall1, TeamX and Fixt engine patches on it so we can play like Windows players can. What's so bad posting about it? Then those who'd like this, know it exists.

I don't know if I'll be the only one using it or not. In any case, it's posted should anyone want, aside from me (like perhaps who's been wanting Fixt). I do have a Windows computer, but I want to play on my old tablet as well, and with the same saved games and, preferably, features. This helps on that very well. Maybe it does for someone else too for any reason the person might have.

Last edited:

Now about the useful part of your answer (last paragraph). I'm a newbie in these things. I don't have lots of experience, in fact this was the biggest things I've ever done so far (and was really cool to attempt to do, as I've learned a lot with it). But that's no excuse. Me not really wanting to port an entire OS might be though. That seems too much work for a game. I'd rather just play it only on the computer (almost never, as on computer I do other things, but anyway). Still, when I get to Fallout 2 (after playing the first, which I haven't done to 1/4 yet) and see a need to do something, I'll try to do something, I guess (a starting point is below).

I already thought in attempting to port Fallout 2 to DOS, yes, but from what I've been thinking, that will be really hard to do (as opposite to what I was thinking 2 or 3 weeks ago). Might be possible though. I might want to try it, but the time I don't think it's enough for such a big thing, unless I keep it going for a few years until it's ready (might think on it). I've already been at full speed trying to finish this project which I was loving too much and getting behind on actual important things, so it's finished (for now - I can update it for a newer sFall1 version it seems).

A few corrections to what you said, btw.
- DOSBox allows up to 63 MB for the entire system (they say it's a limitation on DOSBox). DOSBox-X allows more memory though (at least it comes with 256 MB default).
- MS-DOS is a 16-bit OS, not a 8-bit one. It can go as high as 64 KB of RAM with all memory extensions turned on. With something related to 20-bit lines on the computer (I don't remember right now), it's possible to go as high as 1 MB of RAM. Though, with help of a DOS Extender (like DOS/4G, DOS/32A, CauseWay...), it can go up to the amazing 32-bit's 4 GB, because the extender gets the processor into 32-bit Protected Mode, and that allows one to use Windows code almost directly on DOS, I think (at least that's what I think Interplay did with Fallout 1, because the game code is basically the same between Windows and DOS versions, changing only some things which I believe to be DOS/Windows-specific things). There's just a need for the compiler to use the DOS libraries instead of the Windows ones (and maybe something else? I don't really know, I'm not from the DOS time and I've done very few things on DOS).

Last edited:
<jawdrop> so DOS is capable of 32 bit instructions with an extender? well taht's news for me.. i always thought dosboxes have 32MB of RAM limit for a reason..

The thing is Fallout:ET Tu happened and it replaced FIXT, as it did what FIXT planned all along but didn't manage.. that is porting the game to Fo2 Engine.. as of today most if not all Fallout total conversion mods work off of Fo2 Engine, so there's absolutely no point in digging through the obsolete FO1 engine. However If someday You'll manage to get Fo2 Engine running in some DOSBOX port, with all the fun stuff that sfall and HRP come with. Than I'll be on the hype train too. As of now, the Fo1 engine is a dead end, and forking modder's attention away from where it's sepose to go ( Fo2 Engine), is as close to sabotage as one could call it.

I'll sit quiet in this thread for now.. perhaps You have to learn the lesson by yourself, and do not listen to ppl when they warn you, saying it's the wrong direction, or perhaps You need to grow your skills on asteady fundament ( beeing Fo1) to be able to moove onto the right path ( Fo2 engine). Just be mindfull that most folks would rather change their hardware rather than trying to crack a brick wall with their skulls..

Everyone will eventually change their Hardware, it's just a matter of baterry lifecycle dying on them, and a Chineese equivalent of surface pro ain't *that* expensive. That plus exchangable M.2 SATA SSD instead of eMMC chip as hard drive, makes this option viable, not to mention x64 bit processor, full windows 10 and 8gigs of ram, all in a touchscreen tablet, tempting offer, especially tha it's seposedly cheaper than the first gen Surface Pro, getting similar stats on an ARM based device, and the price skyrockets trhough the roof.

I'm not going to try to convince you any further.. if you think you can manage vs. a horse in a kicking contest than go ahead I'm not going to try to stop You anymore..

<jawdrop> so DOS is capable of 32 bit instructions with an extender? well taht's news for me.. i always thought dosboxes have 32MB of RAM limit for a reason..

The thing is Fallout:ET Tu happened and it replaced FIXT, as it did what FIXT planned all along but didn't manage.. that is porting the game to Fo2 Engine.. as of today most if not all Fallout total conversion mods work off of Fo2 Engine, so there's absolutely no point in digging through the obsolete FO1 engine. However If someday You'll manage to get Fo2 Engine running in some DOSBOX port, with all the fun stuff that sfall and HRP come with. Than I'll be on the hype train too. As of now, the Fo1 engine is a dead end, and forking modder's attention away from where it's sepose to go ( Fo2 Engine), is as close to sabotage as one could call it.

I'll sit quiet in this thread for now.. perhaps You have to learn the lesson by yourself, and do not listen to ppl when they warn you, saying it's the wrong direction, or perhaps You need to grow your skills on asteady fundament ( beeing Fo1) to be able to moove onto the right path ( Fo2 engine). Just be mindfull that most folks would rather change their hardware rather than trying to crack a brick wall with their skulls..

Everyone will eventually change their Hardware, it's just a matter of baterry lifecycle dying on them, and a Chineese equivalent of surface pro ain't *that* expensive. That plus exchangable M.2 SATA SSD instead of eMMC chip as hard drive, makes this option viable, not to mention x64 bit processor, full windows 10 and 8gigs of ram, all in a touchscreen tablet, tempting offer, especially tha it's seposedly cheaper than the first gen Surface Pro, getting similar stats on an ARM based device, and the price skyrockets trhough the roof.

I'm not going to try to convince you any further.. if you think you can manage vs. a horse in a kicking contest than go ahead I'm not going to try to stop You anymore..

[For anyone reading: all settled and all fine after PMs.]

[I don't mind at all to be given advice. In fact, I always appreciate it and I thank it. I just don't like when people are rude about it, as it seemed to me in your other message. On your first message on this threaad I just went cool about it, because maybe this was news for you that Fixt actually worked. The 2nd message (just before this last one) seemed to me as you were being rude, for some reason, so I was a bit rude too (even though it's weird for me to be). Though, if I misunderstood you, then my sincerest apologies and I take back all I said if that's possible.]

Yes, that's how Fallout 1 works on DOS. The game runs in 32-bit mode. I believe that's why a Fallout 2 port wouldn't be "impossible" (quotes because nothing is, supposedly), since the game code is the same as for Windows. Just libraries change, and maybe other smaller things (I've seen differences in stack size allocation for local variables - not sure if that's a mistake on their part or was intentded though).

I'm not sure I can make mods myself (or better said, patches, as I think I just made a mod?), because I'm a student, so I don't have infinite time. I made this patcher in 2 or 3 weeks in a speedrun so I could get back to full study-mode (and also because I was loving it ahah, being the first time I did something like this). Make patches myself requires possibly much more time (testing if all went right and no bugs with secondary effects). Here, I just copied and adapted the code that was already done and hopefully tested by who made it. I just had to check if the thing seemed to be working, and then I would assume it was fully working (in the hope I didn't make any mistakes in the adaptation, as the code becomes a mess with the idea I had to get the patcher to work this easy).

Porting the Fallout 2 engine to DOS would be insanely harder than that though xD. If I were/am to port it, it will take years, probably (if I'm alone at it, at least). Still, possibly I might enjoy that more than make patches for the game. I'm still trying to find out what I like and what I don't like, and I'm not sure about patching a game (seems too much work for just a fix?). Porting though, seems a more interesting challenge and useful and supposedly makes me learn very much of how an OS does various things and how an executable file works (in the case of the DOS patches port with my first idea, I learned about Linear Executable EXEs, and with the Fo2 to DOS, I'd learn about Portable Executable EXEs, the current Windows ones). Could be interesting - very complicated and time consuming though. Will have to think about it.

Going back to the first part, please give me any advice you'd like! As I said in the beginning, I always appreciate it. I may or may not follow it (in this case I either use DOS or nothing in the tablet), but I still like to hear other people's point of view of things. Else it would be my way, whether it was right or wrong, and I don't like that idea. For example Lexx and NovaRain also told me (on Discord) that almost no one uses the DOS version anymore, and that Et Tu is preferred over the original Fallout 1 (though in my case I can't go that route, so I must ignore the advice or not play in the tablet+PC, which I really wanted). [I will also not buy a new tablet just to play a 25 years old game and not much more (money better spent somewhere else), so I'm sticking with this old one.] And I appreciate them saying that to me (always good to know), as I do with you, as long as people are not rude (again, if you were not and I misunderstood you, my deepest apologies and I hope you can forgive me).

Last edited:
Hey I wanted to say thank you for you work. I am currently playing fallout fixt on my phone. I had one small issue, it's a small one. I can't get the highlight items to work for the life of me. I was wondering if you or someone here could help me. The draw.ini has been edited to make sure it is allowed but no luck. Thank you again for your work

Hey I wanted to say thank you for you work. I am currently playing fallout fixt on my phone. I had one small issue, it's a small one. I can't get the highlight items to work for the life of me. I was wondering if you or someone here could help me. The draw.ini has been edited to make sure it is allowed but no luck. Thank you again for your work
Hi! You can't use Windows-only mods on DOS though. If you want to use them, you need F1DP: https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/f1dp-fallout-1-dos-patcher.221053. It's a patcher with all the Windows mods ported to the DOS version. You can't use sFall or High-Res Patch or the Fallout Fixt EXE patches (Sduibek made a few on the EXE) - you can with this patcher. Use it and edit F1DPATCH.INI instead (read the readme, it's all explained there and also in the beginning of the INI file - though if you need anything, just say) - those settings will only be used on the DOS version though (keep that file and ddraw.ini with the same settings if you use the game both on DOS and Windows mode so that you don't have differences while playing in both modes - or at least many differences, since I didn't port all everything).

Gustarballs is not right. It is great to have the DOS patcher. Thank you, DADi590!
Ah he was just having a bad time, we got fine after it in PMs. All fine, no worries!

He did still say he thought it's kind of pointless, like I was told by some devs, because of Et Tu being able to run Fallout 1 with Fallout 2's engine and with Windows on DOSBox. But still, aside from me loving the project ahah, my tablet is too slow and already lags a bit running the game alone... Don't fully imagine how it would be with Windows+Fallout. So I still did it anyway. Maybe someone else could find it useful for whatever reason (slow device, maybe purist person wanting original Fallout 1 without Fo2's engine, no idea). Good a few found it useful so far! (100 downloads on version 1.2 on GitHub) Was worth the time! Aside from being useful for a few people, I learned a lot by doing this. Really cool.

Last edited:
Back