Fallout 1 mod Fallout Fixt - next release will be some time in Jan 2020

Hi everyone,

I need to let you know that my hard drive crashed a few weeks ago (RAID-0, yay, lesson learned) so currently I cannot do any significant modding. I'll do my best to fix the major bugs (crashing, etc) by downloading the mod myself and unpacking the scripts, but unfortunately I have no timeline whatsoever as to a release.

I apologize, if it were my decision i'd quit my day job to work on fun projects like this. And, yknow, magically have enough money to run data recovery on my RAID ;)

I feel terrible about this, because I hate hate HATE crash-to-desktop and such (cough Oblivion and Fallout 3 cough), so it really pisses me off that my mod is doing that and there's no simple way for me to go in and fix it :(

EDIT: This mod IS NOT DEAD, just consider this an unfortunate setback. I will absolutely get to a point of modularly-installable non-Beta release... it just is going to take longer that i'd like. Thanks for your support and understanding thus far, I truly appreciate everyone's input :salute:

I've added the last two versions to my thread, hopefully those of you experiencing crashes won't get them with versions 9996 or 9995, I can't guarantee anything though.

I've added the last two versions to my thread, hopefully those of you experiencing crashes won't get them with versions 9996 or 9995, I can't guarantee anything though.

Sduibek said:
This mod IS NOT DEAD, just consider this an unfortunate setback.

Better not be dead...otherwise the people will track you down and break your toes. :mrgreen: We need Fallout 1 fixed, and you've got the skills to do it. :wink:

Take heart, Sduibek!

I am very sorry to hear about your hard drive crash. And I am appalled to have read the same from so many modders in the past. I think loss of data is the biggest plague that affected negatively modding productions!

I am sure you'll find new energy and motivation to improve over your exceptional mod!

Keep it up!

Just wanted to replay Fo1 but I got a problem.

I'd like to play in window mode (mode=1 in ddraw) but no matter which resolution i pick ingame or put into f1_res.ini the window size stays the sime while the game within the window is only shown by a small part.

Flash_in_the_flesh said:
Hi, I'm playing new game with FIXT v.99961 and Mrs. Stapleton has no books in her shop.

Yeah, I recently noticed this as well. Also having the occasional random CTD, which at least to me seems to originate from the screen refresh-thingy.
Oh.. running on 64-bit OS as well.

Her not having books is because I fixed the hub map so she used a container for her stuff (instead of her inventory) but the map file wasn't included yet, it was going to be included in 9997 or whatever the next version would've been :(

Some of the fixes should be pretty easy... I'll do my best to get access to my backup drive by the end of the month. This is an issue because while I have a laptop that i'm using currently, it's only got Xubuntu installed currently.

For those of you willing to do a little footwork, take the STAPLE.INT file from DATA/SCRIPTS from the other versions (9996 and 9995) and test to see if that works. For now, using files from the prior two versions is the best solution I have :(

Re: Various problems (may not be FIXT problems)

Pike said:
1. I'm in June 2162 and some towns (the Necropolis, the Hub and the Boneyard are the ones I've noticed so far) have been invaded
Got same problem with 0.9666 - invasions happen and happen to early.

Pike said:
2. When I try to give the systolic motivator to the Brotherhood of Steel tech (for the fix the broken power armour quest) the screen goes permanently black.
Just click anywhere on the black screen and everything will get back to normal (took me a while to realize that ;) ).

Pike said:
3. I'm experiencing random CTDs when travelling around the Hub/Necropolis/Glow area. It doesn't happen every time so it's not a huge problem.
Same here. Funny thing - second before it happens I hear a console sound ("click"), so maybe this has something to do which some stats changing (definitely not dehydration - this works, although it never does any damage).
Error message:
F1Error.png

Also:
Minor bug in the military base. I went in without a fight (using speech instead). On the 3rd level there's mr supermutant and his girlfriend. Well - he doesn't want to chitchat but directly attacks me. If I sneak past him without a fight, his girlfriend still thinks a I killed the man... uhmm - the mutie ;).

Here are my savegames (packed in to .7z - hope it's not a problem - .zip was 8 time larger!). Fallout 1 GOG with FIXT 0.9666 over it.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15003526/Specto_SAVEGAME.7z

Specto said:
Also:
Minor bug in the military base. I went in without a fight (using speech instead). On the 3rd level there's mr supermutant and his girlfriend. Well - he doesn't want to chitchat but directly attacks me. If I sneak past him without a fight, his girlfriend still thinks a I killed the man... uhmm - the mutie ;).

Here are my savegames (packed in to .7z - hope it's not a problem - .zip was 8 time larger!). Fallout 1 GOG with FIXT 0.9666 over it.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15003526/Specto_SAVEGAME.7z
That's actyually an already-existing bug, although not sure if it's from vanilla FO or just TeamX's version. It's already on my To Do list ;)

Thanks for the files!

Good news; I now have access to my backup drive. This means I can get to work fixing the major bugs in 99961.

Sduibek said:
Another thing if someone would please try if you'd like, is to delete the Random Encounter script files one at a time -- one of these is what's causing the world map crashes.
So what you'll do is delete one of these files, then run around the offending area for a while and see if the crashes go away. Make sure to cover both Mountain and Desert squares.

Located in DATA/SCRIPTS/(file)

RNDDESRT.int
RNDMTN.int
RNDCITY.int (shouldnt be needed but listing here anyway)
RNDCOAST.int (shouldnt be needed but listing here anyway)

It'd be slightly more efficient (by one step) to start by deleting half of the files and then testing: if it crashes, you've narrowed it down to one of the two remaining files; if not, the bug's in one of the two deleted files. :-) (This is assuming, of course, that it's only in one of the files.)

Thanks so much, Sduibek, for working on this project. I like F2, but I love the original Fallout because the story is (imo) so much better, and I know that I will love playing Fallout so much more with your bug fixes - once I have some free time after spring quarter is over!

Keep up the good work!

-m

Sduibek said:
Yes, it does affect &ToHit, and quite a bit actually. It's very very noticeable on new characters.

I may dump the darkness up from 20 to 30 (orig was 40) to offset this... having a large affect on chance to hit is kinda sucky if you ask me....
A severe combat penalty in deep darkness makes sense, though... it's hard to fight when you're in the dark, especially in a deep dark cave with no light source, yes? That would make flares a *lot* more valuable, too. :=)

Speaking of flares, wouldn't it make sense to have the flare cast light even if it's held in the inactive hand? Like holding a flashlight and a pistol in real life... even though you're shooting with the pistol, the flashlight still casts a beam of light. Or holding a torch in one hand and wielding a longsword in the other. Seems to me that a flare should still cast light regardless of whether it's in the active hand or the inactive hand. (Or is that kind of check not possible due to the scripting or game engine or something?)

By the way: sorry to hear about your HD crash. That bites. My main OS HD is now 6 years old, and I'm sure it'll crash any day now ... but do I back it up? Hardly ever, of course. lol Glad to see (in another thread) that you were able to access your back-ups and recover somewhat.

Oh, and (if I may presume to speak for the majority of us here): we're very understanding about necessary delays caused by real life (or HD crashes, etc.), as evidenced by any of the F2RP threads. :=) We're just really tickled to see anyone make any substantial progress on Fallout 1 - and what you've accomplished so far is awesome. So whenever you can make more progress, however long that takes, we'll be very happy! :)

-m

There are some really interesting characters in that list - including RAE the super mutant NPC that can join you to kill the Master. It would be great to see some of these characters returned to the game.

Code:
{100}{}{You see Rae.}
{101}{}{You see a super mutant.}
{102}{}{You don't belong here.}
{103}{}{(seems confused and sad) I believe I do, but.. why are you here?}
{104}{}{Neither do you.}
{105}{}{Uh.. yes I do. The master is having me scout around in disguise
 to check our security.}
{106}{}{Yes I do, I'm here to kill you.}
{107}{}{Okay, I'm leaving.}
{108}{}{huh.}
{109}{}{(sigh) What do you want now?}
{110}{}{I'm lost.. can you show me how to get to the master? I need to kill
 him.}
{111}{}{Nothing. Goodbye.}
{112}{}{To see what you look like with all your skin ripped off your body,
 you mutant scum.}
{113}{}{What's wrong with you?}
{114}{}{great oogly moogly.}
{115}{}{I'm here to... contemplate the oneness of the master.}
{116}{}{Of course. The unity brings peace. May I ask where you are from?}
{117}{}{I am as well. I made the pilgrimage from far away to see the master
 with my own eyes.}
{118}{}{I have much to learn. How does one gain an audience with the master?}
{119}{}{I did that yesterday. Today I'm contemplating what the master would
 look like if I lit him on fire and roasted marshmallows over his putrid
 carcass.}
{120}{}{I think the master is insane.}
{121}{}{I'm from... somewhere ..else.}
{122}{}{What a coincidence! So am I.}
{123}{}{Where?}
{124}{}{I'm from a vault... I'm a pure strain human.}
{125}{}{What, are you an imbecile?}
{126}{}{Where are you from?}
{127}{}{(whispers) I'm from a vault... I'm a pure strain human.}
{128}{}{I'd rather not say. Goodbye.}
{129}{}{A small village to the north of here.}
{130}{}{Why should I tell you? You're just a lackey for the 'Man'.}
{131}{}{Why would you tell me that? I should take you before the master...}
{132}{}{But you won't}
{133}{}{You're welcome to try.}
{134}{}{Well, I should shove my gun down your throat and pull the trigger!}
{135}{}{Please don't.}
{136}{}{I know why you're in so much pain.}
{137}{}{I'll be going now.}
{138}{}{You're right... if only I could clear my head. There's something...}
{139}{}{I know why you can't clear your head.}
{140}{}{The master keeps you from thinking clearly. Thinking disturbs the
 unity.}
{141}{}{The master is the reason you are in such pain.}
{142}{}{Hey, I've got an idea - let's cut open the master and see what's
 inside!!!}
{143}{}{Tell me! Please!!}
{144}{}{You used to be human, too. The master dipped you in the FEV virus and
 mutated you.}
{145}{}{Sorry, I can't.}
{146}{}{Only the master can tell you everything.}
{147}{}{Only the master can tell you everything. But you'd better talk to him
 quick, 'cause I'm on my way to kill him.}
{148}{}{Sorry, got to go.}
{149}{}{I should kill you for taunting me!}
{150}{}{I have a better idea - help me destroy the master for doing this to
 you.}
{151}{}{No, you should kill the master for doing this to you. I'm on my way
 to do just that... would you like to join me?}
{152}{}{Why? I'm not the one who turned you into a mutant!}
{153}{}{You're welcome to try.}
{154}{}{No thanks. Bye!}
{155}{}{Let's twist his head until his eyes pop out.}
{156}{}{You will never kill the master. He cannot die.}
{157}{}{You're right. I'd better get out of here.}
{158}{}{We'll see about that.}
{159}{}{Hmmm. I wonder how he'll continue to live when his unity is destroyed...}
{160}{}{That can't be.. the master.. protects... unifies...}
{161}{}{Well, you're a living example of 'unification', my friend. I know,
 I've seen the process. I'm here to stop the master from 'unifying' anyone
 else.}
{162}{}{How does it feel to be protected and unified?}
{163}{}{Yeah, he protects himself by controlling everyone else.}
{164}{}{I've had enough of this. Goodbye.}
{165}{}{Leave now or I will be forced to deal with you.}
{166}{}{AAAUGH!!! (Grabs his head in pain and confusion) I.. can't...}
{167}{}{That's right, your friend the master stripped you of everything
 you had in this world, including your humanity.}
{168}{}{You know that it's true... that's why you're so confused. You're
 fighting the mutation. Help me avenge you by destroying the master!}
{169}{}{Sure you can. C'mon, let's kill the master, it will be fun.}  
{170}{}{I'd better leave.}
{171}{}{I'm sorry you're in such pain, but it's the master's fault.}
{172}{}{I will pull his eye out!! I'll tear his slimy little head from
 its cables!!!! You, ...get out of here... I'll take care of the master.}
{173}{}{Great!!}
{174}{}{Thanks for the offer, but I'd like to do the job myself. Would
 you like to help?}
{175}{}{I'm going to stay here. I have some unfinished business.}

Information for some of those can be taken from Wasteland Ghost's Update Mod 1.2.5 -- if you're already using that as one of the points of reference, carry on :D

Very cool

Quickie update on the status of the mod (and thus unfortunately my life, sorry! lol)

* Starting school either this quarter (Summer 2011) or next (Fall 2011) so I won't have as much time to work on this as I used to -- during most of the FF coding I was unemployed so I had lots of free time. I don't think it will change things drastically but it's worth mentioning.

* Haven't found my XP disc yet; currently i've been using xUbuntu on my main computer (laptop, since the desktop is the one that fried). Which makes modding extremely frustrating

* BUT, good news! I found a great deal on a WinXP Pro SP3 disc so within a week or two I shall have that up and running, so my coding will be fast and awesome instead of slow and wine-y (haha, get it?)

Thanks everyone again for your patience, I really dislike that my fixing-bugs-mod actually causes bugs and crashes. Boo.

Back