Fallout 1 mod Fallout Fixt - next release will be some time in Jan 2020

Great work Sduibek, I'm just installed FO1 again only to play with your mod/patch/compilation. :wink:

~~~~

(Because both I and Premislaus are Poles, I'll try to help him in our first language)

Premislaus1988 said:

Wersje Fallouta dodawane do pism to porażka pod względem technicznym (a w każdym razie wersja z CD-Action sprzed X lat taka była), może dostaniesz jeszcze gdzieś CD-Projektową "Sagę Fallout", ja z rok temu zamówiłem w Empiku, i jeszcze mieli.

Co do tego pliku .bat - zanim to klikniesz, zmień opcje regionalne i językowe w panelu sterowania na Angielski (Stany Zjednoczone) - u mnie to pomogło, i pomogło kiedyś przy modach do innych gier (m.in. HoMM III przy WoG-u), więc metoda sprawdzona.

Hmmm.. I have no idea about the flare thing, that's not surprising though... I already needed to take a look at the timeout code. Pixote, flares should last something like three hours IIRC, did you notice the light going down while it was still "not burnt out", or does it stay full brightness as time passes?

valcik said:
.Pixote. said:
One thing about the new flare - when you have it in the hand slot, and move to a new map it will disappear...
Also, there is one glitch in hubmis1.map; a scroll blockers seems to be not working correctly, when the map is visited for first time. Screen can be scrolled behind the map edges. (I'm playing in a default 640x480px resolution)
I know, I haven't figured out yet why this happens :( The f1_res edges seem to be ignored periodically by the game.

For those that didn't notice or have not seen it before, i've added this to my sig:

http://blog.macuyiko.com/2009/07/solving-color-problem-red-grass-purple.html

Very cool. It's got something like ten different things you can try if you're having the issues of the colours going crazy while playing Fallout 1. Screen Refresh fixes the blackness but not the palette scrambling.

I'll be going through that URL and seeing which fix(es) I can integrate with FIXT... Until then, read and learn and enjoy! :D

Fallout FIXT status updates

TO REPORT BUGS CLICK HERE

This thread is for whenever I feel like posting some new update about FIXT -- and the subsequent suggestions/discussion/feedback/complaints that may result. I keep this separate from the main FIXT thread, because here I can post all sorts of minor things, ask questions, and just generally ramble.

It's updated "often" so keep an eye out for new posts :)

To check current progress, click the highest page number above this post. (Directly below the thread title)

Sduibek said:
The f1_res edges seem to be ignored periodically by the game.
I see. Not big deal, though, just a minor issue.
Also, did you change script for brother Thomas in the BOS? The observable hand-to-hand training seems to be stuck, it doesn't appear anymore.
Heh, good work with the antirad chems. I have experienced some serious heat in the Glow! :)

valcik said:
Sduibek said:
Yeah I suppose, it's still pretty annoying though. It's on my Figure Out How This Shit Works list.

valcik said:
Also, did you change script for brother Thomas in the BOS? The observable hand-to-hand training seems to be stuck, it doesn't appear anymore.
Ack! I was working on it and must have not finished... :( Speaking of which, do you know how to make sure (in vanilla Fo1) his training script actually runs? I've only ever had it work if I went directly to that room *immediately* after entering BoS for the *first* time. Anything else and they'd just stand there forever and couldn't engage in dialogue...

valcik said:
Heh, good work with the antirad chems. I have experienced some serious heat in the Glow! :)
Just don't take too much or you'll die when you leave!

EDIT: Five new screenshots up.

Sduibek said:
valcik said:
Sduibek said:
Yeah I suppose, it's still pretty annoying though. It's on my Figure Out How This **** Works list.
I suspect the trouble here is because the map files internal name differs from the actual file name. This should be fixed some what in the next release of the hi-res patch where I'll be using the internal name only. But it's still important to keep internal and external names the same.
A work around is to make a second copy of the map edge data for the affected map labelled after the internal name. For example 'HUBMIS1.MAP' would have 2 ini's one labelled 'HUBMIS1.ini' and the second labelled with the internal name 'HUBMIS0.ini'.

.Pixote. said:
One thing about the new flare - when you have it in the hand slot, and move to a new map it will disappear...I thought there was a timer attached to it, or does the game think that moving between maps takes up time? It's best to test it in the Necropolis tunnels.
Fixed. Took me basically all day, but hey at least I got it! I'm so awesome. 8-) :P

It's unfortunately kind of messy, and actually required use of Global Variables (!). The messiness is as follows:
1) I believe the timer for the Flare is reset, so you essentially get a fresh flare for free. Boo.
2) The inventory slot will be blank until you open and then close your Inventory screen. However the game is still registering that the item is present, and light radius does stay intact accordingly.

So yeah, issue fixed but kind of an annoyance. I'm stoked that I got it working but frustrated that it's a messy fix.

Code:
procedure map_enter_p_proc
begin
	if (global_var(228) != 0) then begin
		FlareRIGHT := (create_object_sid(205, 0, 0, -1));
		add_obj_to_inven(dude_obj, FlareRIGHT);
		wield_obj_critter(dude_obj, FlareRIGHT);
		set_global_var(228, 0);
		FlareRIGHT := 0;
	end
	if (global_var(229) != 0) then begin
		FlareLEFT := (create_object_sid(205, 0, 0, -1));
		add_obj_to_inven(dude_obj, FlareLEFT);
		wield_obj_critter(dude_obj, FlareLEFT);
		set_global_var(229, 0);
		FlareLEFT := 0;
	end
end

procedure critter_p_proc
begin
	if (obj_pid(critter_inven_obj(dude_obj, 1)) == 205) then begin//	RIGHT hand
		if (FlareLit == 0) then begin
			play_sfx("FLARE");
			FlareLit := 1;
			if (global_var(228) == 0) then begin
				set_global_var(228, 1);
			end
		end
		obj_set_light_level(dude_obj, 100, 8);
	end
	else begin
		if (obj_pid(critter_inven_obj(dude_obj, 2)) == 205) then begin//	LEFT hand
			if (FlareLit == 0) then begin
				play_sfx("FLARE");
				FlareLit := 1;
				if (global_var(229) == 0) then begin
					set_global_var(229, 1);
				end
			end
			obj_set_light_level(dude_obj, 100, 8);
		end
		else begin
			FlareLit := 0;
			obj_set_light_level(dude_obj, 70, 3);
		end
	end
end

Ok Mr.Sduibek...nicely done with the flare (actually this works beautifully in game)...is it possible to script the *take all* inventory feature that makes Fallout 2 so much easier for the player. Just grab the artwork from Fallout 2 and use it...this might be a tricky one, others have mentioned it can't be done. :cry:

Next - is it possible to get the latest SFall working with Fallout 1, Timeslip probably could make it happen, but unfortunately is too busy.

Sduibek said:
.. do you know how to make sure (in vanilla Fo1) his training script actually runs? I've only ever had it work if I went directly to that room *immediately* after entering BoS for the *first* time.
Hell, I didn't knew that until now! While I'm sure so the training room is the first place, where I go after entering the bunker, maybe it was my fault this time. Nevermind then. :)
I have a small suggestion, to fix this dialogue node: http://i55.tinypic.com/140c5r8.png
An "Exit" (a.k.a. "Not touching") option would be welcome here in order of a roleplaying.

.Pixote. said:
is it possible to script the *take all* inventory feature that makes Fallout 2 so much easier for the player.
I assume it's not possible, but i'll look into it. The problem with doing this via script (which would actually be pretty easy, there's a Move_Inventory_From_Obj_To_Obj command) would be hard because I'm not sure how to tell the game which ''container'' to pull from.
As far as code changes, it could be done that way for sure, but i'm not good enough at Hex or ASM (yet) to do something like that :(

Next - is it possible to get the latest SFall working with Fallout 1, Timeslip probably could make it happen, but unfortunately is too busy.
Hmmm. That would be VERY cool. The Perk fixes and world map fixes and all that would be much appreciated. I'd do my best if I could get the source code...

Sduibek said:
Okay, so just to see what we're working with, I commented out the check for the exe, can somebody compile this, run it, and see what (if anything) works?
It wont. It'll just crash pretty much instantly.

If you look through the code, you'll find lots of 6-8 digit hex numbers. They each point at offsets within the fallout exe. You'll need to look at where they're pointing in the fo2 exe, and try and find an equivalent piece of code in fo1. If there is one, change the number, and if there isn't then disable the relevant feature in sfall. (If you're serious, that's a heck of a lot of work to get started with. I suggest you strip out most of the functionality first, then add things back one by one, rather than trying to do things all at once.)

Timeslip said:
Sduibek said:
Okay, so just to see what we're working with, I commented out the check for the exe, can somebody compile this, run it, and see what (if anything) works?
It wont. It'll just crash pretty much instantly.

If you look through the code, you'll find lots of 6-8 digit hex numbers. (grep tells me there's 412 of them.) They each point at offsets within the fallout exe. You'll need to look at where they're pointing in the fo2 exe, and try and find an equivalent piece of code in fo1. If there is one, change the number, and if there isn't then disable the relevant feature in sfall. (If you're serious, that's a heck of a lot of work to get started with. I suggest you strip out most of the functionality first, then add things back one by one, rather than trying to do things all at once.)
Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. Blast. Thanks for your replies in this thread, I know Pixote and I appreciate it :clap:

Hmmm. After some more progress on bug-fixing and script changes, maybe i'll take a look and see which sfall/timeslip features would be most useful in Fo1...

--------------------
EDIT, unrelated to the above: I now have the flares working so their light in hand decays with time, and dissapears after 120m (2 hours) just like normal flares. This is seamless even if you're running around to different maps. BOOYAH!

Now if I could just figure out why the active item slot goes blank when moving across maps.... :x

Sduibek said:
Hmmm. After some more progress on bug-fixing and script changes, maybe i'll take a look and see which sfall/timeslip features would be most useful in Fo1...

For me its art related - such as the animations. I want to enhance the Fallout 1 maps, like I did for Fallout 2 (just some grass and box the smaller maps in a black field - nothing too over the top), but I will need the animation limit increased from 20 to 120.
Code:
;Modify the maximum number of animations allowed to run on a map. (Default is 32)
AnimationsAtOnceLimit=120
Also Mash's extra hero critters would be a great addition - Mr.Long Hair and Mr.Baldie, and the extra save slots.
Code:
;Set to 1 if using the hero appearance mod
EnableHeroAppearanceMod=1
Code:
;Set to 1 to add additional pages of save slots
ExtraSaveSlots=1
As well - :mrgreen:
Code:
;Causes npc's who complete their combat turn with ap left over will try and find other ways to spend it.
;Only npcs with ap left equal to or greater than the value given here will be considered.
;Set to 0 to disable
NPCsTryToSpendExtraAP=1

Sduibek said:
EDIT, unrelated to the above: I now have the flares working so their light in hand decays with time, and dissapears after 120m (2 hours) just like normal flares. This is seamless even if you're running around to different maps. BOOYAH!

Now if I could just figure out why the active item slot goes blank when moving across maps.... :x

Great to see you slowly fixing these issues. :salute:

.Pixote. said:
Also Mash's extra hero critters would be a great addition - Mr.Long Hair and Mr.Baldie, and the extra save slots.
Code:
Would that allow party member NPCs to have a unique appearance like we talked about in this thread?

Sduibek said:
.Pixote. said:
Code:
Would that allow party member NPCs to have a unique appearance like we talked about in this thread?

No - the hero appearance mod effects just the appearance of the player character.

015aaayf.gif

2AhSH.gif
2ov2Y.gif
SB4R6.gif
NtgDj.gif

The only NPC I've changed are these two - they can use every weapon in the game and aren't restricted to their typical SMG or rifle, but beware Tycho and the flamer are a dangerous combination. The critters just need to be added to the critters list, and then have Ian and Tycho's proto's changed to reflect the new critters, and don't forget changing the maps... I've done this for Lenny in Fallout 2, and it's great.

Actually those 2 were put together so I could give Ian and Tycho the ability to use all weapons, but unfortunately this fix replaces all of the critters using Ian's and Tycho's appearance, and ideally it's better to have a unique appearance for those NPC's. But Sduibek I would rather give Ian and Tycho this new appearance and leave all of the other critters as they are...do you want to fix it. I tried but the game crashed, Cubik2k mentioned something...

Code:
Proto files for items in FO1 has the same format as proto files for items in FO2. 
Proto files of critters in FO1 are 4 bytes smaller than FO2 files. You can use hexeditor and add 4 bytes (x00) at the end of FO1 critter proto file and you could edit it in mapper editor.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=796675#796675

NEW VERSION UP!

v0.999

-- Psycho's damage resistance boost lowered from 50 to 30.
-- Hired NPCs should follow the player better now. Also, 'leash' distances modified so they'll start running sooner, which should reduce "follow lag". If you don't know what i'm talking about, don't worry about it ;)
-- StepAside command- NPC now moves instantly ('teleports' without animating) to a random hex 2 hexes away from their current one. It's very unrealistic but having them walk/run to a random hex always had a chance of them not moving at all, no matter what different code I tried [and believe me i tried a LOT] which I think in the long run is more annoying.
-- no more childkiller freebies - you kill a kid or a party member does, you're a childkiller. 'nuff said.
-- Dehydration now ignores your armor's DT and DR as it should have all along; programmers used the critter_dmg code when they should have used the critter_heal code with a negative value.
-- Dehydration also does more damage -- 10 times as much as before. Don't worry, even at 10x it's not that much.
-- ^^^ The above also applies to Mountain encounters that caused small amounts of damage -- the damage is negligible enough that i've made it ignore your armor. Yes, not entirely realistic, but personally I found it stupid and annoying to get an encounter only to learn I suffered no damage.
(The damage for these, however, hasn't been increased)
-- Badwords.txt copied over from Fallout 2, making many more words censored, for those of you who have the language filter enabled.
-- More tweaks to how Luck affects random encounters. (characters with Luck of < 4 should see a difference)
-- Some more grammar/spelling/text-only fixes (yaaay lol lol)
-- Added sound effect for when player equips a lit flare :)
-- Pixote's flare graphic in use (thanks man!)
-- Flare works a bit better in combat now -- light/nolight status will update after any performed action, such as firing a weapon. Examines and using AP for moving don't trigger it at this time.
-- Flares function properly on map change/load/exit
^^^ NOTE on the above, it acts funky if holding a lit flare in the "off" hand. still working on fixing that aspect of it...
-- various scripts' code optimized/simplified/whatever
-- lengthened Izo's dialog entries a bit.
-- when Izo is kicking you out, instant teleport to avoid exploitation: (thanks Nevill)
-- Tandi can be ordered around now, this leaves room later for combat tactics etc etc:
-- Marcelles (JT hotel) talks to the player regardless of game time, which allows room rental day or night. (thanks Nevill)
-- Flash works properly for loitering and attacking player after telling them to leave. (thanks Nevill)
-- If you set a timer on an explosive you're holding in an active hand slot, it automatically drops once the timer is set :)
-- The red force field emitters can be destroyed, sort of. I tried for several hours to find a way to fry the actual red field itself, but no luck. So for now, if you want to you can blow up the emitter thingy but the red field still exists and causes damage. Yeah, it looks stupid visually but I like it. Always pissed me off that an already-damaged device couldn't be damaged by HIGH EXPLOSIVES lol. Anyway, if you don't like the change, don't use explosives on them! ;)
-- Another easter egg screenshot (see link in my sig)
-- Brahma while on caravan now identify as a "domesticated brahma" vs. a "wild brahma"
-- ghouls only radiate when hitting you with bare fists &/or point-blank melee (brass knuckles etc)

I have five new screenshots up, click on the link in my signature to view them.

Enjoy! :mrgreen:

Sduibek said:
What should Beer and Booze affect beyond lowering Perception?
I think (-) Per and (-) Int while (+) Cha makes sense.

EDIT:
.pixote said:
Actually those 2 were put together so I could give Ian and Tycho the ability to use all weapons, but unfortunately this fix replaces all of the critters using Ian's and Tycho's appearance, and ideally it's better to have a unique appearance for those NPC's. But Sduibek I would rather give Ian and Tycho this new appearance and leave all of the other critters as they are

Is it that 4 byte difference in critter protos between FO1 and FO2 that lets FO2 selectively replace just the NPCs and not all the critters? Or was it sfall mojo? Having the FO2 unique critters for FO1 npcs would be.. amazing.

Back