Fallout 1 mod Fallout Fixt - next release will be some time in Jan 2020

Dravean said:
Would it be possible to make the reduced ammo optional?
Yep, already done. I put back the default values. Pixote is right that it changes the game a lot, and my goal isn't to piss people off or drive them away :( Quite the opposite; Fallout is awesome and I want to make it awesomer for everyone!

Dravean said:
Magnus reduced the ammo in his Fallout 2 mod and I really liked that change. Ammo should be more rare and valuable in the post-apocalypse.
Earlier today when I uploaded the version with some items changed, I was thinking of offering an addon called Fallout FIXT - Survival. More dangerous environment, way less ammo, etc. What do you think?

Sduibek said:
Fair enough, i'll remove any changes to ammo items. What are your thoughts on the other new stuff?

You don't have to change anything...all I'm asking is what is your intentions with this mod of yours. I changed the maps for Fallout 2 for the RP, but realized after they were first released that I had gone too far some areas...they were too busy/messy, and I cut back on the mess with the next release. People were right with their criticism, I had built them in isolation, and more or less for myself, and I had got a little carried away with my ideas. I love this project of yours...but just be careful that you don't over do it with the new ideas/changes, they might screw with the game balance.

For now go crazy, but eventually you might need to edit some of the changes...Sduibek I applaud you efforts. :clap:

Sduibek said:
I was thinking of offering an addon called Fallout FIXT - Survival. More dangerous environment, way less ammo, etc. What do you think?

Sounds great - the game can be really expanded with an addon like this...

Sduibek said:
Earlier today when I uploaded the version with some items changed, I was thinking of offering an addon called Fallout FIXT - Survival. More dangerous environment, way less ammo, etc. What do you think?

It sounds like a cool idea, provided the game is still playable after all the alterations, of course.

Sduibek said:
I was thinking of offering an addon called Fallout FIXT - Survival. More dangerous environment, way less ammo, etc. What do you think?
Great idea. Also, thanks for improving often forgotten Fallout, you're truly a hero :salute:

Okay. Well if you three (.Pixote., Dravean, Continuum) want to be my sounding board that would be awesome. If I put something up that doesn't seem bug-fix-ish, let me know. .Pixote. you are right, it's easy to get carried away and end up with something crazy lol.

I almost wish there could be like an exit survey or something for mods. Hm.

Premislaus1988 said:
I have a small problem:

Installed on a Polish language version of the game. Version 1.2 includes "steal bug fix". This version of the game, I got a few years ago in a computer magazine.

I do not know whether the patch from your mod work. I still play in Polish, despite English msg files from your mod. But the change resolution working.

Damn, and I began to paste the Polish texts, instead of English, in a separate directory. I wanted to check if the mod works.

Sorry for my English.

P.S. Do I need to buy the English version of the game?GOG version will be good?
Were you ever able to get this working? With the number of scripts, critters and dialog i've modified, at this point it will overwrite anything you have, so the game should be fully playable but will be in English...

I'll be working on the item changes today... I was a bit preemptive to throw those in, but hey at least now i'm getting feedback so I can change the drugs and such in a way that people like, instead of just Sduibek-izing them :clap:

EDIT: Wow, getting the flare thing to work was surprisingly easy. It's sad that Interplay didn't implement it :( To look up the required code, implement and test it was maybe twenty minutes max.
Anyway, here's a screenshot with a Radius of 8 (default for dropped flares is 7)

What do you think?
4v1y6b.jpg

Sduibek said:
Getting the flare thing to work was surprisingly easy. It's sad that Interplay didn't implement it :( To look up the required code, implement and test it was maybe twenty minutes max. Anyway, here's a screenshot with a Radius of 8 (default for dropped flares is 7)

What do you think?
4v1y6b.jpg

Is that with the new darker light settings...it looks great. 8-) (There's something surreal about the blue cave that's missing in Fallout 2). But I see a small problem, isn't the flare meant to be dropped on the ground to achieve this effect, if it's kept on the body (inventory) then how can it light up an area...just asking...unless it's held in the hand. :look:

But I do like the idea of the flare illuminating a cave more than just relying on the heroes light radius. Sduibek is it possible to fix the script for the PC so they can throw a flare (or grenade) into an area without having to throw it at a target, ie: enemy, animal, etc. A little bit like the forced attack in Arcanum when you destroy a door or chest.

So you would place the cursor on the hex of choice, click the mouse button and throw it, the success of the throw should be based on your throwing skill.

.Pixote. said:
But I do like the idea of the flare illuminating a cave more than just relying on the heroes light radius. Sduibek is it possible to fix the script for the PC so they can throw a flare (or grenade) into an area without having to throw it at a target, ie: enemy, animal, etc. A little bit like the forced attack in Arcanum when you destroy a door or chest.

So you would place the cursor on the hex of choice, click the mouse button and throw it, the success of the throw should be based on your throwing skill.
Yes, that screenshot is with the darkness @ 20 instead of 40.

I don't think the throwing thing would be possible without code or engine changes, nothing's coming to mind in terms of scripting. I'm not saying it's not possible, i'm sure it is, I just can't think of how it'd be done :|

The above was from a suggestion (page 6 of this thread I think) but you are correct... I was just having the game check inventory, it should probably check the player's item slots huh :mrgreen:

Done.

Man, that was a lot harder than just checking for it in inventory... THAT check is 1 line of code, this is a couple nested checks... I didn't realize it would need to be nested at first so that was a bunch of time wasted before I got it right. :roll:

.Pixote. you will dig this; by complete accident the code below checks the *active* hand *only*. So more realistically or whatever, you have to have it active to make light. I don't really prefer that, but realism buffs will probably enjoy it :clap:

Here's some code for anyone who cares
Code:
	if ((obj_pid(critter_inven_obj(dude_obj, 1))) == 205) then begin
		obj_set_light_level(dude_obj, 100, 8);
	end
	else begin
		if ((obj_pid(critter_inven_obj(dude_obj, 2))) == 205) then begin
			obj_set_light_level(dude_obj, 100, 8);
		end
		else begin
			obj_set_light_level(dude_obj, 100, 3);
		end
	end

On the "default" level of 100/3, I'm just guessing.

Pics:
4ieull.jpg

No Flare -- "DISTANCE" OF THREE, INTENSITY = 50

2qaiag8.jpg

No Flare -- "DISTANCE" OF THREE, INTENSITY = 100

2lxjot4.jpg

No Flare -- "DISTANCE" OF FOUR, INTENSITY = 70

2cf2kid.jpg

Holding Flare -- "DISTANCE" OF TWELVE, INTENSITY = 100
Hmmm. The guide said 8 was max, I guess it accepts values above 8 but they don't have any effect ;)

9ghml1.jpg

Holding Flare -- "DISTANCE" OF EIGHT, INTENSITY = 100

Sduibek said:

Nice work...and yeah 8 is the maximum distance. I suppose you can still throw it at a critter if you want to illuminate the area and then fire your weapon. What happens if you have it in the other hand slot, does it still work...or is it just the active hand? Does the change in the light conditions effect the accuracy of the player, like night and day...just asking.

.Pixote. said:
I suppose you can still throw it at a critter if you want to illuminate the area and then fire your weapon.
That's a really good suggestion, I hadn't thought of that. Portable targeting assistance!

.Pixote. said:
What happens if you have it in the other hand slot, does it still work...
No.
.Pixote. said:
or is it just the active hand?
Yes.

.Pixote. said:
Does the change in the light conditions effect the accuracy of the player, like night and day...just asking.
I have NO idea but that's an excellent question! Want to test it for me? ;)

In combat there's a delay of about one turn before the light updates (don't think I can get around this) but otherwise it works instantly when switching hands or adding/removing it from a hand.

Sduibek said:
Anyway, here's a screenshot with a Radius of 8 (default for dropped flares is 7)
What do you think?
I just love it! :)
Now the cave exploration will be almost perfect, thank you.

Sduibek said:
.Pixote. said:
Does the change in the light conditions effect the accuracy of the player, like night and day...just asking.
I have NO idea but that's an excellent question! Want to test it for me?
I would assume yes. I highly doubt weapon accuracy checks are done with a boolean (night/day) rather than being based on light intensity. The latter would make much more sense. Plus, the difference between night and day is light intensity anyway.

@Sduibek
You've been doing some great work. Keep it up!

Hey Sduibek I just downloaded the latest FALLOUT FIXT, and sorry the new flare effects didn't work, have they been implemented into the latest release?

Just another thing - could the flare item (when lit) have the 100% light effect attached to it, but with no radius...after all the thing is meant to glow, currently the lit flares look dull when they thrown on the cave floor. You could make an alternative flare artwork with the glowing tip, and when the item is thrown the new artwork replaces the old, and when the flare runs out of juice the old artwork then replaces the new artwork...just saying. :mrgreen:

EDIT:

I just made the artwork for you...basically all you need to do is replace the item "flare" with the new one, and change the proto light level to 100 - distance 0. This flare has six different directions, so could you fix the script so the flare falls in a random manner. I might as well pass this over to the RP as well.

Glowing Flare ITEM

021scr00009.gif

.Pixote. said:
Hey Sduibek I just downloaded the latest FALLOUT FIXT, and sorry the new flare effects didn't work, have they been implemented into the latest release?
That's because I haven't included them yet. SNAP! Patience my son ;)

.Pixote. said:
Just another thing - could the flare item (when lit) have the 100% light effect attached to it, but with no radius...
I don't get it. Flares make light which is what they're designed to do, if a person walked around holding it, it would indeed be a sort of "torch". Do you mean to _reduce_ the radius? Radius of 0 looks pretty bad, if you want to see a screenshot of that...

I don't know if I can implement your idea on random facing but i'll do my best. Thanks for the artwork, that's awesome!

EDIT: I don't remember if you script or not. Either way, here's Flare.ssl for comparison to the code I used (look at the light Radius and Intensity specifically)-->
Code:
procedure start;

variable lit;

procedure start
begin
	if (script_action == 7) then begin
		scr_return(0);
		if ((lit != 1) and (lit != 2)) then begin
			obj_set_light_level(self_obj, 100, 7);
			display_msg(message_str(223, 100));
			lit := 1;
			add_timer_event(self_obj, game_ticks(1800 * 3), 1);
		end
		else begin
			display_msg(message_str(223, 101));
		end
	end
	else begin
		if (script_action == 22) then begin
			if (fixed_param == 1) then begin
				obj_set_light_level(self_obj, 80, 7);
				add_timer_event(self_obj, game_ticks(900 * 3), 2);
			end
			else begin
				if (fixed_param == 2) then begin
					obj_set_light_level(self_obj, 60, 7);
					add_timer_event(self_obj, game_ticks(450 * 3), 3);
				end
				else begin
					if (fixed_param == 3) then begin
						obj_set_light_level(self_obj, 0, 1);
						lit := 2;
						display_msg(message_str(223, 102));
					end
				end
			end
		end
		else begin
			if (script_action == 21) then begin
				script_overrides;
				if (lit == 1) then begin
					display_msg(message_str(223, 103));
				end
				else begin
					if (lit == 2) then begin
						display_msg(message_str(223, 104));
					end
					else begin
						display_msg(message_str(223, 105));
					end
				end
			end
		end
	end
end

Okay so anyway the flare thing is fully functional, the only bug/issue is if you're in combat it takes 1 combat turn to add or remove the light, because of how the engine works - which I don't know how to fix.

Looking to implement these as well:
-- Make sure the light decays over time like a dropped/thrown flare does
-- Random facing when throwing (and dropping?)
-- Normal art when unlit, Pixote's art for a Lit Flare.

EDIT: Next version will automatically change the free_space line in fallout.cfg to 0 as a 'fix' for the Not Enough Free Space error. :mrgreen:

Awesome job Sduibek! Thank you for this, going to give this a try tonight. So many annoying things have finally been addressed. Well done.

Also I also agree with this: "Would it be possible to make the reduced ammo optional?"

I LOVE this idea, but it really should be optional.

Jaesun said:
Awesome job Sduibek! Thank you for this, going to give this a try tonight. So many annoying things have finally been addressed. Well done.

Also I also agree with this: "Would it be possible to make the reduced ammo optional?"

I LOVE this idea, but it really should be optional.
Reduced ammo is removed for the time being, the download just has normal ammo stats.

Sduibek said:
.Pixote. said:
Just another thing - could the flare item (when lit) have the 100% light effect attached to it, but with no radius...
I don't get it. Flares make light which is what they're designed to do, if a person walked around holding it, it would indeed be a sort of "torch". Do you mean to _reduce_ the radius? Radius of 0 looks pretty bad, if you want to see a screenshot of that...

I should have been clearer - the flare ground item only...the light the flare casts should remain as is (probably Light Distance 8 - Light Intensity 100) - but the flare item itself should have a glow when it sits on the ground. The original did not do this.

I suggest the flare item have Light Distance 0 - Light Intensity 100, that way it adds no extra light to the surroundings, but the flare itself is lit up. :wink:

022scr00010.gif

.Pixote. said:
I just discovered that the answer is definitely YES. Changing light levels from 40 --> 20 in cavern areas affects the accuracy, but accuracy is also affected if you hold the flare and/or drop a flare next to yourself. So for the cheaters amongst us, you could start combat with a flare in hand, fire (getting the bonus ToHit%) getting some free accuracy before the next shot :roll:

Oh, it's worth mentioning that I created a new character to test out several things, and I was 'playing the game normally', so after a half hour or so when I cleared out the radscorpion cave, I found myself holding lit flares as I ran around :clap:

NEW VERSION UP:
v0.998
There's now a message to ignore the errors that may show up in the command window (for FalloutW.bat) because they can safely be ignored.
free_space variable in fallout.cfg is set to zero on every game launch, fix/workaround for the Not Enough Space crash
Flares -- better ground image (thanks .Pixote.!), make light when held in active hand.
Mountain worldmap type now supports all location-specific encounters -- in other words you can encounter super mutants in the mountains near the military base, gangs in the mountains by Boneyard, etc etc.
slight change to how Luck affects the type of random encounter ..uh... encountered. heh. Previously the "Bad" ones were never encountered, this should hopefully fix that
forcefields on MB level 1 STAY off if you disable them via the computer (although you get a stupid message whenever the map loads...sigh)
angry version of Step Aside. And yeah it reduces their reaction level of you ;)
Hookers in Falcon at The Hub now function as would be expected... they cycle through various salutations (both in dialog and floats) and the price is based on your CHarisma. Lastly they can do group action if you have someone in your party, the other details you'll just have to find out ;)
Children no longer run CONSTANTLY (those buggers had infinite stamina apparently...)
streamlined my Children's No Infinite Rocks code (will only generate more rocks if all are gone)
changes to drugs toned down, hopefully they are improved but not "overly changed" now -- i'm feeling lazy so i haven't updated the stats listed in this thread, please try them out in-game and let me know what you think ;)

Sduibek I have a small critter fix for the Overseer...when you shoot him in his chair it will play an animation (A) - with his body moving back and forward...even if the mini-guns are out. This new animation (B) is designed to replace the old animation when the mini-guns are out. Just go to the Vault and shoot the old guy to see what I mean. :mrgreen:

I'll let you workout the best name for the file, and the scripting, etc.

Grab the files here - http://www.mediafire.com/?2fdvpmn5qy28unv

A
yyyab.gif
...B
vGlTy.gif

One thing about the new flare - when you have it in the hand slot, and move to a new map it will disappear...I thought there was a timer attached to it, or does the game think that moving between maps takes up time? It's best to test it in the Necropolis tunnels.

.Pixote. said:
One thing about the new flare - when you have it in the hand slot, and move to a new map it will disappear...
Hm, I remember this even from Redding's tunnels in Fo2. This is a vanilla game issue, I guess. (anyway, it's pretty annoying thing)
Also, there is one glitch in hubmis1.map; a scroll blockers seems to be not working correctly, when the map is visited for first time. Screen can be scrolled behind the map edges. (I'm playing in a default 640x480px resolution)

Back