Fallout TV Series Begins Production

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
According to an exclusive at Deadline the much anticipated Fallout TV series is actually making progress. I remember talking about stuff like this back in 2005 when it was just a dream. Now the nightmare will soon be reality.

Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy’s Kilter Films, is coming together. Nolan is set to direct the premiere of the series, which is slated to begin production in 2022. Geneva Robertson-Dworet (Captain Marvel) and Graham Wagner (Silicon Valley) have come aboard as showrunners.

Fallout is one of the greatest game series of all time,” Joy and Nolan said at the time. “Each chapter of this insanely imaginative story has cost us countless hours we could have spent with family and friends. So we’re incredibly excited to partner with Todd Howard and the rest of the brilliant lunatics at Bethesda to bring this massive, subversive, and darkly funny universe to life with Amazon Studios.”

I'm not aware of these people, but the worst that can happen is it becomes more popular, and we get that MMO finally. Amazon will drop it after one or two years like The Tick if it does poorly.

Fallout is going to become downright annoying if that tv-show is even moderately successful.
The amount of absolute idiots that are gonna flood everywhere with their talk about Fallout is going to just piss me off.
Like, I think my loathing for this is going to make me hate Fallout as a series.

Fallout is going to become downright annoying if that tv-show is even moderately successful.
The amount of absolute idiots that are gonna flood everywhere with their talk about Fallout is going to just piss me off.
Like, I think my loathing for this is going to make me hate Fallout as a series.
If it's any consolation, it will probably bomb (at least in the West) like virtually every other video game TV/movie IP

They cannot do it both correctly and profitably. The Fallout setting is bitter depression tempered with dark humor. Bethesda got angry flak from commuters just passing by their FO3 advert in the subway; (it depicted the nuked DC capital).

At best it will be a Nuka~Break ripoff with a woke and overly (and awkwardly) diverse cast. It might try to take itself seriously...which is a mistake akin to the Happy Days shark jumping episode.

It will not be a bitter depressed setting tempered with dark humor, nor have a cast anywhere near the caliber of the original game, and that's a damn shame.

They might have a chance if they managed to hire Terry Gilliam; not at all to suggest Monty Python~esque humor in the style of their show. Recall that Gilliam was keen to do D00M! at one point.

Last edited:
If it's any consolation, it will probably bomb (at least in the West) like virtually every other video game TV/movie IP
Even if it does bomb the problem is any time you talk to someone and they start talking about Fallout this will be another "Which one are you talking about?" Which is going to be annoying as it is currently annoying enough when you have to make the distinction between old fallouts, new vegas and Bethesda products.

Not sure if I want those people. But we'll see I guess.

In my 3 minutes of research I saw that they made Westworld. I liked the first season, so maybe it won't be a total failure. However, I have a bit of a hard time imagining a romance plot in Fallout, unless they copy that stuff from Fo3 with what was the name of that woman from the vault?

If we are lucky, there won't be any Beth
Fallout games during the show duration. Although, Nolan isn't that bad, I almost puked when he mentioned being excited about working with Todd Howard. As if Howard ever worked one day in his entire life.

Last edited:
He has a solid CV but he'll have to work miracles to produce something wonderful with Bethesda material. Not entirely convinced about Amazon either. Strong doubts, but I WANT IT

sChs5C0.png

With Graham onboard I suppose it's a comedy.

Fallout is one of the greatest game series of all time,” Joy and Nolan said at the time. “Each chapter of this insanely imaginative story has cost us countless hours we could have spent with family and friends..."
What "chapters" have they played? Do they mean Fallout 1 and 2?

e: At least they have a nice picture in the article:

Fallout.jpg

Last edited:
How do you even MAKE a film based on the BGS Fallouts? It's a world that only goes as deep as the retrofuture skins it puts on gunfights and inherently fucks any deeper narrative you try to put in it as a result. I'm genuinely interested how they'll pull anything from the material they're given.

How do you even MAKE a film based on the BGS Fallouts? It's a world that only goes as deep as the retrofuture skins it puts on gunfights and inherently fucks any deeper narrative you try to put in it as a result. I'm genuinely interested how they'll pull anything from the material they're given.

They write an unrelated story, put the brand name and retrofuture skin on it, and throw in some other things that are popular at the moment. That's what frequently happens even with properties that do have a deep narrative. All they really need from the IP is the brand recognition that comes with the name, and that's about the only thing Bethesda has kept.

I'm genuinely interested how they'll pull anything from the material they're given.

(Somewhere in the perfectly intact ruins of New York)
Raider 1 approaches Raider 2 and starts the conversation.

R1
: Saw a Supermutant the other day. Horrible creatures.
R2: BYE.

Suddenly Raider 2 is shot in the head. He stands there for a bit and is shot again. And again. Next shot finally kills him. Raider 1 draws and holsters a weapon.

R1: Must have been the wind.

Suddenly something draws his attention.

R1: Never should have come here!

His head explodes and cheery 1950s song starts (preferrably Bing or Bob Crosby).
Our protagonist- The Sole Wanderer- enters the frame holding an iconic 10mm pistol and a teddy bear and looks straight into the camera.

The Sole Wanderer: I'm looking for my grandpa. Middle-aged guy. Maybe you've seen him?

Title Card: THE ULTIMATE WEAPON

The Sole Wanderer spends the episode looking for desk fans to upgrade his 10mm pistol. Near the end of the episode he confronts the legendary roach. After a tense fight The Sole Wanderer is victorious. He pulls out a Legendary Board With Nails that deals extra damage to robots.

Roll credits.

Guaranteed that TV show will have a huge focus on 50s style hair and shit like that which was never important in the original.

I sometimes have thought about how something like New Vegas would be if it were a TV show.
-Episode 1 would be the intro and getting to know Goodsprings.
-Episode 2 would be preparing Goodsprings to fight against the Powder Gangers and the fight itself.
-Episode 3 has the Courier travel out, try Sloan but get denied, head back to Primm and save Beagle.
-Episode 4, the Courier goes to the Mojave Outpost, do a few jobs and check out Novac for Ranger Ghost, cliffhanger ending with Vulpes.

And so on and so forth. I think New Vegas by itself would be a neat show if done right. Only downside is the length would need to be trimmed unless it went for multiple seasons.

I sometimes have thought about how something like New Vegas would be if it were a TV show.
-Episode 1 would be the intro and getting to know Goodsprings.
-Episode 2 would be preparing Goodsprings to fight against the Powder Gangers and the fight itself.
-Episode 3 has the Courier travel out, try Sloan but get denied, head back to Primm and save Beagle.
-Episode 4, the Courier goes to the Mojave Outpost, do a few jobs and check out Novac for Ranger Ghost, cliffhanger ending with Vulpes.

And so on and so forth. I think New Vegas by itself would be a neat show if done right. Only downside is the length would need to be trimmed unless it went for multiple seasons.

I don't think it would be a good idea to adapt the Courier's story if you were making a NV TV show. It works great in a game, because you choose how the story unfolds.

Meanwhile TV show is linear (unless you went down the experimental route of TV show CYOA like Black Mirror's Bandersnatch). You'd also have to choose a "canon path".

Anthology centered around the events that happened in game, but offscreen would be a better idea.

There's plenty of them, both pre-war and post-war. Vault experiments, BIG MT, Survivalist, sacking of New Canaan, NCR CF breakout, 1st battle for Hoover Dam, Bitter Springs, Sierra Madre trapping it's guests and staff. And that's only one game.

Back