Fallout TV Series Begins Production

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
According to an exclusive at Deadline the much anticipated Fallout TV series is actually making progress. I remember talking about stuff like this back in 2005 when it was just a dream. Now the nightmare will soon be reality.

Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy’s Kilter Films, is coming together. Nolan is set to direct the premiere of the series, which is slated to begin production in 2022. Geneva Robertson-Dworet (Captain Marvel) and Graham Wagner (Silicon Valley) have come aboard as showrunners.

Fallout is one of the greatest game series of all time,” Joy and Nolan said at the time. “Each chapter of this insanely imaginative story has cost us countless hours we could have spent with family and friends. So we’re incredibly excited to partner with Todd Howard and the rest of the brilliant lunatics at Bethesda to bring this massive, subversive, and darkly funny universe to life with Amazon Studios.”

I'm not aware of these people, but the worst that can happen is it becomes more popular, and we get that MMO finally. Amazon will drop it after one or two years like The Tick if it does poorly.

Fallout does NOT have to be super depressing. Fallout 1 was not super grim.
What game did you play? (That's not what I saw.)

When developing Fallout, the producer got a call from the marketing department. They were nervous and unsure about the music selection [it was super depressing]. To which they were asked, "Have you played the game?" "Everybodys' dead". You twice mention 'Verdant', but there were no living trees. The world is ruined—no recovery; it's all dying.

The presentation is grim, and only tolerable by the dark humor.

*It goes without saying that to have the world and it's civilization improve or recover destroys the Fallout setting—unless they destroy it all over again; if done that trick will get old pretty fast.

Last edited:
We should make our own lore-friendly Fallout TV show.

I'll gladly volunteer for the role of Dead Body #3.

What game did you play? (That's not what I saw.)

When developing Fallout, the producer got a call from the marketing department. They were nervous and unsure about the music selection [it was super depressing]. To which they were asked, "Have you played the game?" "Everybodys' dead". You twice mention 'Verdant', but there were no living trees. The world is ruined—no recovery; it's all dying.

The presentation is grim, and only tolerable by the dark humor.

*It goes without saying that to have the world and it's civilization improve or recover destroys the Fallout setting—unless they destroy it all over again; if done that trick will get old pretty fast.

Oh So Cal? Didn't you read up on global warming? Even back in the 90s people were saying it would only exacerbate California's tendencies towards megadroughts, and So Cal being a total desert in Fallout 1 made sense not because of nuclear war, but because So Cal is a desert by it's very nature and probably headed towards even worse desolation by climate fluctuations humans did not alter but probably were actively making worse.

The east coast is by definition a totally different animal. Fallout's environments must depend on what that environment actually is. Environments do not stem from emotional tones. We do not live in a set of fisher kingdoms which is why I take GREAT umbrage to the green tint of Fallout 3 and the desert east coast of the vanilla Fallout 3 and 4 because RADIATION DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY. We know this both from the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone, already verdant and healthy 10 years on at the time of making Fallout 1 and due to the failure of cobalt bomb testing.

To claim artistic license or alternate laws of physics to justify b movie bullshit is simply lazy worldbuilding. If you want similar effects, do your research and come back with better more inventive solutions.

As for human society yeah most humans perished just after 2077, but most of them would have died by 2061 anyway. The issue at hand was society was steadily pulling itself together even in the great shitheap of a nearly waterless Southern California. Junktown, Shady Sands, the Hub, and the various settlements of the Boneyard are thriving or somewhere close to them, and except for the outside of the context problem of the Unity do not need your help in any way to set all things right.

So an east coast would probably be doing substantially better because there's more agriculture, more freshwater, more navigable rivers. See there are two basic kinds of westerns, by terrain, the westerns of the plains and the deserts, that deal with classic cowboys, and spaghetti westerns tend to be those, and the westerns of the forests and the mountains and the rivers, and those tend to be westerns like Maverick, Last of the Mohicans, the story of Tecumseh, the Hateful Eight, etc. An Eastern Western, even one set in Boston, whether during King Phillips War or a war with the Institute can only be a western of the forests mountains, and rivers, but southern New England has two of the three in spades and if you need mountains, Vermont and New Hamshire are a loogie off a skyscraper away.

"In 2077 the storm of world war had come again. In two brief hours most of the planet was reduced to cinders."
Belgium.jpg

To claim artistic license or alternate laws of physics to justify b movie bullshit is simply lazy worldbuilding. If you want similar effects, do your research and come back with better more inventive solutions.
Seems pretty restrictive to me that every fictional universe has to conform to real-world scientific standards. A world as portrayed in Fallout 1 cannot exist without relying on fantastical laws of science. Radiation doesn’t make critters bigger, and FEV is as much “b movie bullshit” as radiation is.

To claim artistic license or alternate laws of physics to justify b movie bullshit is simply lazy worldbuilding.
Why is it lazy worldbuilding? How is the coming up with your own rules to your FICTIONAL setting lazy worldbuilding? If writers actually followed your logic, fictional settings would get pretty damn boring and samey since they would have to follow real world logic.

-presses fingers against temples- I can see this going only one way, a way that will absolutely not maintain that mild charm the Monty Python obsessed writers injected into fallout 1 and 2 as those types of guys are usually writing on family guy or some shit these days. I digress. itll probably go the "Fallout 76 ad" route, there will be a female character with a "badass" leaning on fetishistic clothing choice who saves main character in her introductory scene and refers to raiders as "shitbiscuits" or some other compound swear totally braindead people love, tossing us like a baby in a tumble dryer into the series proper where the MC probably uses the fatman and says "This sure is spiffy!" whereupon the female sidekick will take it from him and say "That was lame, man! You say 'that kicked nuka-ass!' " basically just cowboy bebop with a 50s coat and dialogue ripped from joss whedons cranium.

Seems pretty restrictive to me that every fictional universe has to conform to real-world scientific standards. A world as portrayed in Fallout 1 cannot exist without relying on fantastical laws of science. Radiation doesn’t make critters bigger, and FEV is as much “b movie bullshit” as radiation is.

This isn't a constructed world. The real world is a part of the Fallout lore, in fact it's the VAST majority of Fallout's lore, until at least 1945, so even going by mentions in human history we have 4 billion years of real-world physics, climatology, paleontology, biology, anthropology (physical and cultural) as well as historical. It's not a goddamn fantasy world like Wheel of Time or Discworld and that's why I actually give a shit about it.

Because the vast majority of the Fallout lore is real-life lore, then Fallout fundamentally has to play by real-life rules. Certain exceptions apply because of rule of runny and they can be dismissed as 'funnin.' The special/wild wasteland encounters for instance.

Also what advanced mutagenic retroviruses can do down the line is not known, not even a little bit. Thus it is still a speculative subject. I would suspect highly there's a lot of nutrient bath in those vats and relatively little FEV to facilitate the rapid transformation but that's an assumption.

Fallout clearly LOOKS like a B movie, but it's actually smarter than that, well Fallout being Fallout 1. That was what made me fall in love with the game. But the science is fairly plausible, it's not super hard but it's not Star Trek stupid either.

This isn't a constructed world. The real world is a part of the Fallout lore, in fact it's the VAST majority of Fallout's lore, until at least 1945, so even going by mentions in human history we have 4 billion years of real-world physics, climatology, paleontology, biology, anthropology (physical and cultural) as well as historical. It's not a goddamn fantasy world like Wheel of Time or Discworld and that's why I actually give a shit about it.

Because the vast majority of the Fallout lore is real-life lore, then Fallout fundamentally has to play by real-life rules. Certain exceptions apply because of rule of runny and they can be dismissed as 'funnin.' The special/wild wasteland encounters for instance.

Also what advanced mutagenic retroviruses can do down the line is not known, not even a little bit. Thus it is still a speculative subject. I would suspect highly there's a lot of nutrient bath in those vats and relatively little FEV to facilitate the rapid transformation but that's an assumption.

Fallout clearly LOOKS like a B movie, but it's actually smarter than that, well Fallout being Fallout 1. That was what made me fall in love with the game. But the science is fairly plausible, it's not super hard but it's not Star Trek stupid either.
Alright, agree to disagree I guess, but how do you explain FEV and those infected by it being immune to radiation? The idea that any life form, or any atomic structure really, can be “immune” to radiation is pretty far-fetched. In my opinion, it’s just as far-fetched as radiation causing the mutations in the first place.

Edit: Also, the laws of science in the world of fallout being somewhat different from our own shouldn’t necessarily have a significant effect on the world before ~1945. The main difference seems to be the effects of radiation, which wouldn’t be significantly apparent until the invention of atomic technologies in the 20th century.

Last edited:
It's not a goddamn fantasy world like Wheel of Time or Discworld and that's why I actually give a shit about it.
You are mistaken. Fallout begain as a GURPS campaign setting; a [one-shot] world of the '50s anticipated future—wrought of their adoration and ignorance the atomic age; their fear and expectations made fact. This is why green goo can make supermutants and why Ghouls walk the earth; remnant monsters made from the war.

Ghouls are a play on the term 'the walking dead' coined well before the tv show of the same name; referencing those [real] war victims who were alive, but terminally radiated.

Fantasy Ghouls can also be seen as Fallout's anti-elves, fantasy was a staple of cRPGs at the time, and Fallout 2's own advert hailed the game as 'minus the faeries, spells, and other crap'. Like fantasy elves they remember the previous age, and are effectively immortal until slain—but [opposingly] they are ugly, presumably stink, and are very stiff limbed, unagile creatures. [anti-elves]

Fallout is not an anything goes setting—contrary to what some of the original devs would say; and you can see they thought it by the inclusion of the chess playing scorpion and the talking plants... These are example of out of place content that should only have been found in the deep wastelands which effected a sense of horrific mystery at what could exist out there (now... after the atomic hell from the war). Very Heavy Metal~ish.

Certain exceptions apply because of rule of runny and they can be dismissed as 'funnin.' The special/wild wasteland encounters for instance.
It's true. In the original game format, it was impossible to return to those exact special encounters out in the wastes; impossible to prove them, or lead others to them... Impossible to know if they were real or imagined—or a bit of both. Fallout 2 had a time portal—with waterchips... chips the PC probably wouldn't know about.

Special encounters are part of the dark humor that brings a chuckle amid the horrific conditions.

Fallout clearly LOOKS like a B movie, but it's actually smarter than that...
It's because the '50s expectation encompasses all—even the appearance of the [understandably B movie] monsters.

T
I don't give a shit what any of you say this series is now going to be good because the man is a legend. I feel a SOUTHERN attitude coming as well. Oh yes.

T
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0324658/

Dude was acting back in 1992 in Beverly Hills 90210! I was not aware. The first movie I recognized him in was House of 1000 Corpses. Anyway yeah likely to be horrible but this is a guy that can act so good for them on spending a little money on the cast.

Back