Fallout 2 mod Fallout: Yesterday

SECOND RELEASE DETONATING EVERYWHERE!

R2 - November 21st, 2020

[GENERAL]
- Added new quests to Tibbets.
- Made more locations inside Tibbets accessible.
- Added new encounters including 9 new Special Encounters.
- Added one intro movie.
- Improved quality and converted all videos to native MVE format so they play for everyone.
- Added three NPC portraits.
- You can now play as a Beastlord mutant and control the animals you possess. To do so, use Examine/Binoculars on them. For more information, check the Beastlord Trait once you start the game.
- Internal restructuring for compliance with the 1.02d engine refactoring Black Isle Studios planned to support expansions. This slightly changes the install process.
- Updated sfall to the latest 4.2.8.
- Added GOODIES folder with soundtrack, wallpapers and other bonuses. More stuff on the way as it becomes part of the game.
- Added racial modifiers for super mutant and ghoul players. Check the in-game descriptions for details.
- Increased the running speed for super mutant players.
- You can now use Strength or Lockpick to remove the shackles. After that, you can find another use for them as a melee weapon.
- Added two new (teaser) world map locations, one of them being hidden.
- Added 7 new splash screens and fixed the missing one.
- Replaced big interface numbers and dates with Nixie tube numbers.
- Fixed world map glitches/lag after traveling for a long time.
- Special encounters should be unique now.
- Homebot now appears in its random encounter.
- You can now use your Pip-Boy from the inventory. You can also drop, lose, sell it... or use it as a weapon :)
- Hundreds of smaller changes and fixes.
- Fixed some slow walking/running animations.

[SPECIAL]
- Added 20 new background-based Traits. Most of these come from Arcanum, another game from Fallout 1's developers.
- Added more places where low and high Luck have an effect.
- Fixed targeting screen for some enemies.
- Added more info to some new Traits and Perks descriptions about their gameplay effects.
- Power Armors are now susceptible to EMP attacks.

[ITEMS]
- Trash cans, antiseptic showers, training equipment and candy machines are now usable.
- Wasps now drop Wasp Sting.
- Robots now drop useful crafting items after being defeated.
- Shiv now ignores 80% of target's DT.

[NPCs]
- Added lots of NPCs to Tibbets.
- You can now talk to the Vault Boy hologram.
- You can now talk to barflies.

[SOUND]
- Added lots of sound effects for creatures.
- Added new music to the game.

Google Drive DL

Last edited:
Hexer, how can I change resolution?

Btw, a really big thanks for uploading a new version!

Last edited:
Hexer, how can I change resolution?

Btw, a really big thanks for uploading a new version!
You're welcome!

For the increased resolution, I think you need to setup High-Res mod but I have no clue how it will perform as it's not supported out-of-the-box in Fallout Yesterday. Also some maps might look broken because of the larger viewport. I did some mapping improvements there since the first release but it's not high on my list

https://falloutmods.fandom.com/wiki/Fallout_2_High_Resolution_Patch

Why so much additional clutter again? Will the next demo release double in size once more?

Why not offer the other shit as optional download? I'm pretty sure 99% won't need Win95 themes and stuff like that. Hell I can't even remember when I've seen a Win95 installation the last time.

I agree with Lexx about win95 themes...

Weather mod won't buggy like in Megamod? (Permanent derating after the storm)
If master.dat is required, then identical files can be deleted ...
Books.ini available, but not enabled in ddraw.ini
Soundtrack - convert all tracks to wav
Splash - maybe you just need to leave new images?

Last edited:
Weather mod won't buggy like in Megamod? (Permanent derating after the storm)

Weather mod is currently disabled.

If master.dat is required, then identical files can be deleted ...

There are no identical files being shared except maybe some .pro files.

Books.ini available, but not enabled in ddraw.ini

It will be enabled with time.

Soundtrack - convert all tracks to wav

Wanted to keep them in their original formats, but I can convert them to wavs, sure.

Splash - maybe you just need to leave new images?

The "old" images had to be edited for brightness because Fallout Yesterday uses a filter which made them look wrong.

- Added two new (teaser) world map locations, one of them being hidden.
Can you post a worldmap picture with them outlined (and how to find hidden location)? Was travelling NorthEast, found nothing. The map is huge.
EDIT: Found a Maxson BOS Bunker but can't enter (intentionally?)

Last edited:
Can you post a worldmap picture with them outlined (and how to find hidden location)? Was travelling NorthEast, found nothing. The map is huge.

The hidden location isn't accessible until you get its exact location.
Once you get that, its button will show on the right side where all the town labels are.

EDIT: Found a Maxson BOS Bunker but can't enter (intentionally?)

Yes! For now, you won't be able to enter. Feel free to poke around though :)

Is there any equipable armor in the game at all? if so is there a chance to find something better than let's say Leather Armor. initially i got hold back on the beastmaster triat, however I couldn't find any armor at all so currently no drawback for bestmaster triat.

Additionally the holodisk in the wall locker in restaurant always gives CTD with error 70 and a holodisk from wall locker near computer quiz with prisoner 72 always CTD with error 700.

also can i get some hints on computer simulation in Vault8?
- if i read the skillbooks will they increase my skills post simulation as well?
- how to finalize the simulation I've entered Vault8 fixed the generator & brought back life support, but simulation doesn't end.
-I assume one doesn't get to keep the fancy stuff one finds in that simulation (metal armor, flamer, 10mmSMG etc.?)

also does beastmastr triat have SPECIAL limit on number of controlled beasts, like for example like vanilla party limit CHA/2 ?

EDIT:
How about some more hints on getting the hidden location on the map.

possible bug= I've found encounter flying saucer, however location is empty just a meduim sized green circle (medium not a small one) near south western corner of the map.

possible bug= guardian of forever special encounter is not identified after exiting it, says unknown under the circle.

Last edited:
Is there any equipable armor in the game at all?

For now, you can find Armored Jumpsuit and maybe buy armors off merchants in random encounters. I maybe added robes somewhere in a special encounter, can't recall at the moment.

@gustarballs1983 I'll get back to you regarding the bugs after I try to replicate them..

Speaking of Vault 8 and Beastlords...

- if i read the skillbooks will they increase my skills post simulation as well?
- how to finalize the simulation I've entered Vault8 fixed the generator & brought back life support, but simulation doesn't end.
-I assume one doesn't get to keep the fancy stuff one finds in that simulation (metal armor, flamer, 10mmSMG etc.?)

1) Yes, it's a lifelike simulation and the experience attained there carries on.
2) Turn on the radio in your room. Listen to the song if you want and then turn off the radio.
3) Nope :)

How about some more hints on getting the hidden location on the map.

Talk to Orrin inside SimTek 5000.

also does beastmastr triat have SPECIAL limit on number of controlled beasts, like for example like vanilla party limit CHA/2 ?

For no it doesn't although the possessed animal abandons you after you enter a new map. It shouldn't follow you but if it does (which is a bug) then you can possess it again. Currently how it works is that you try succeeding at an Outdoorsman check with a penalty equal to its current HP. So, if you weaken it somehow before, it will be easier to possess.

These aren't the final mechanics, we'll see what works the best for the game.

Talk to Orrin

I was suspecting this although i couldn't for the life of me end the simulation.
It's a pitty stuff does not carry over the punkbuster was especially appealing

For no it doesn't although the possessed animal abandons you after you enter a new map. It shouldn't follow you but if it does (which is a bug) then you can possess it again. Currently how it works is that you try succeeding at an Outdoorsman check with a penalty equal to its current HP. So, if you weaken it somehow before, it will be easier to possess.

These aren't the final mechanics, we'll see what works the best for the game.

I haven't said i get to keep the pests after map transition.. actually I haven't bothered to take beastmaster trait yet, so dunno how it actually works, I was just curious.

Thank you for all the answers

@gustarballs1983

Unfortunately, the crashed UFO bug is confirmed.

To fix it, go to data/Data/Worldmap.txt and change where it says
Code:
Special Flying Saucer
into
Code:
Special Crashed Flying Saucer
. Don't change anything else. I'll release an updated installer today so you can wait for that too.

Thank you Hexer for another great release. I decided to split this post into two parts, that is bugs/possible bugs and my proposals/wishes.

1. Bugs:
- I also get CTD when I interact with holodiscs
- Yao guai has robotic bodyparts in aimed shot's window (CPU, frame etc)
- Slugs will still display texts about floaters when they are hit
- Dialogue with the attactive girl at the bar is probably broken (I click Go on and conversation is over)
- Scurry bots should drop something and radscorpions near the hospital should too (tails I guess)
- I'm pretty sure that many quests aren't shown in pipboy (destroy the nest quest, repair the floor quest, dr Yureth's quest etc). Players may forget those quests and they seem unimportant because of that
- The biggest issue is probably NPCs ''forgetting'' that they've already met the player or ''forgetting'' that the player did something for them. Slappy won't even thank me for fixing the floor. Dr Linder won't recognize the player and the dialogue stays the same as it was for the first time when we met, so it's a loop I guess. The slightly older female surgeon near Slappy (I forgot her name) has in fact a ''loop dialogue'' too
- I'm not sure if it's intentional, but the showers and the female doc on 2 floor won't remove radiation (maybe poison too)
- The mandatory test (I forgot it's name) should imho give XP since it's mandatory (200 xp since it's long?)
- Can you even ''unlock'' Eugene after he no longer wants to talk to you?

2. Proposals/wishes:
- There should be some options and rewards for Stealth Boys. Like that mandatory test... maybe you could add a sneak option? ''[Sneak] Try to sneak out unnoticed'' (300 xp if success)
- Put some traps in lockers for Traps Boys (heh) - maybe those past the poor lobotomite? Besides, Tibbets is a tutorial area too, players should learn that there might be traps...
- Tram ride could give XP too. It could definitely use some flavour text - riding a pre-War train sure is something, woohoo!
- Let us disable the force field near the lobotomite (with Repair I guess) - (if you can already do that then I'm sorry, my fault)
- It would be cool to see robots assesing the damage at the Breach after the attack. Just floating texts are enough
- Simulation is awesome, but the computer with life support could be easier to find. We're told it's to the right, but ''where is my right'' might be confusing. I spent 10 minutes clicking on every computer heh!
- As I said earlier (not only me as I remember), it would be great to find some loot after killing slugs.
- Please add more ''true'', explorable caves in the random encounters :) (good for Combat Boys and no harm for other players, since entering is optional)
- High strenght characters should earn XP when lifting weights at the gym in the medical ward. NPCs should be impressed. It would reward the players who put points in strenght (almost no one is heh)
- Ball and chain should be a little more powerful imho. 2-10 dmg is too little when it's that heavy. 6-16 maybe? Since there is chain, maybe you could increase it's range (like a spear). Or you could give it a weapon perk. Shiv does 3-7 and it's faster.
- Make moar secret areas and dungeons, they are awesome!

It's not all, but this post is already long.

If anyone reading this isn't sure if it's worth to support Hexer on patreon, well, in my humble opinion it's totally worth it.

Thank you Sagez, you're always helpful and write great reviews!

- I also get CTD when I interact with holodiscs

Both holodisks worked fine for me on a fresh install. Did you perhaps load a game from a previous release or started anew?

- Dialogue with the attactive girl at the bar is probably broken (I click Go on and conversation is over)

Do you remember, if the dialog option just said "Go on." or there was something else after that?
I'll answer the rest of your questions tomorrow, have to release a new installer now!

Back