Fallout 2 mod Fallout: Yesterday

Hi, I was able to run release 3 but now for some reason, I can't get 4.2 to run. It's giving me 2 errors.

Error 1: Sfall DX9/ "Failed to create hardware vertex processing device. Using software vertex processing instead."

Error 2: Application Error: "The instruction at 11038fa8 reference memory at 00000000 The memory could not be read from"

Here is the file directory if that helps. I'm using the US Steam install as well.

Ok, so I have messed around with the settings and can get the game to boot. The issue I am running into now is that it's starting at the Temple of Trials. When I enter the exit grid I spawn in Tibbits but instead of the cell where you start, I'm in the cave wall. For some reason the game boots when I change ddraw to ddraw.dll but no other way to boot for me that I can find. I was hoping I could download a hex editor so I could circumvent this issue but no luck so far.

The error you’ve got probably means your graphic card can’t support the default resolution. Try editing f2_res file and reducing the resolution

Also, Temple of Trials shouldn’t be the starting map. Undo the changes you made

I circumnavigated every zone in Dogtown as far as I can tell, used pen and paper for a map, as far as I can tell I couldnt find an exit grid. I found the police station, the police car, the robots, what I think was supposed to be The Box, the Bus Stop area, the Legions hotel... I found the same issue with the Canaan maps iirc where I couldnt return to the world map once having entered.

I’ll check, thanks for reporting. It’s a WIP so there are bugs :twitch:

The error you’ve got probably means your graphic card can’t support the default resolution. Try editing f2_res file and reducing the resolution

Also, Temple of Trials shouldn’t be the starting map. Undo the changes you made

So I started over with a fresh install of F2 and 4.2, also bumped down the resolution to 640x480. I have all of the files mentioned in the install instructions pasted in the R4.2 folder. Am I missing something? I'll admit I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to stuff like this lol

Thanks for helping by the way, like I said I'm easily lost lol

Is this mod still being worked on and worth playing through now, or should I wait until completion to get the best experience out of it?

So I started over with a fresh install of F2 and 4.2, also bumped down the resolution to 640x480. I have all of the files mentioned in the install instructions pasted in the R4.2 folder. Am I missing something? I'll admit I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to stuff like this lol

Thanks for helping by the way, like I said I'm easily lost lol
You need to change resolution inside the ddraw file too

Watch this and decide for yourself.

He made a number of wrong conclusions and presented them as facts. Without ever reaching out to us for answers. We’ll have to change how we do this in the future, this is not healthy.

Someone's been spreading fake new about Fallout: Yesterday on YouTube. All betas from now on will thus only be given to carefully selected individuals. That person ruined open betas for everyone.

Darn it.
I was enjoying playing this from time to time, although I barely make any progress due to starting a new game every time it updates :lmao:

Definitely a weird video- shares a lot of background information about the project, posts several quotes by hexer from this thread, but then gets the most basic stuff wrong like saying that the current build was made for 9 years (when the correct information is right there on the first page).

Don't know if restricting access is a good idea- might make it look like you can't stand legit criticism (his viewers might not be willing to do their own research and just see that you've removed links after his video released).

Maybe he'd be willing to make a second video correcting his mistakes if you contacted him directly?

Ultimately it's your project and your decision, I hope everything works out for you.
Thank you for your work!

Definitely a weird video- shares a lot of background information about the project, posts several quotes by hexer from this thread, but then gets the most basic stuff wrong like saying that the current build was made for 9 years (when the correct information is right there on the first page).

Don't know if restricting access is a good idea- might make it look like you can't stand legit criticism (his viewers might not be willing to do their own research and just see that you've removed links after his video released).

Maybe he'd be willing to make a second video correcting his mistakes if you contacted him directly?

Ultimately it's your project and your decision, I hope everything works out for you.
Thank you for your work!
He can't even handle being told by someone that they're good at the job that they went to an academy for and struggled hard to be good at for decades.
Bad management dooms most productions and this is no exception.
A lot of potential regularly gets wasted on amateur moves.
Very sad 'cause Fallout is special.

Well, he is not entirely wrong. The art direction is very ... wild. It's like every graphic ever made for Fallout 1/2 is being used here, no matter if it's even fitting. Same thing with art like the main menu, which looks completely random to me. I've already talked about that weird pixel-crushing bloom shader in the past...

Yeah.. I recognize this voice.. it's Warlockracy.. ie already threw insults at me during making Olympus 2207 video.. He quoted some of my Cringy posts in hexer's thread about modern games in general, and then began insulting me..

I think this is and Mr.Stalin freaking out is a part of this weird modern Russian pre war strategy, part of the hybrid war they're now waging, It might be about converting as many as they can to their point of view, to form future allies. As if it would somehow magically change our minds to the Russian point of wiev, just because we like Fallout. They now pretend to be the sole classic fallout content creators. While they do contribute a whole lion's share of the content, it's not true they made it all, while it would sadden me to see it gone, it won't magically change my mind to all of a sudden love Putin to have the content back.. I'm a Pole, I know the taste of Russian boot on my Country's face, while they were occupying & milking My country dry for 45 years since the end of WWII. It's not so easy to forget such stuff. While Western civilization evolved so did their mindset, however Russians haven't grew mentally since the cold war, even by a fucking milimeter.. they're still crazed about how mighty their country is, and live with various dreams of power-creep-trips... Just in case be carefull with those guys.. as currently all their acounts are either run by GRU/FSB ( the new reformed KGB), or they do retain their accounts and GRU/FSB agent is behind their back witha gun at point blank telling them what to write :p

As for FO:Y
well it's far from complete, perhaps even further than hexer claims, but who cares.. it's not like there's a deadline to it, and for fucks sake it's a *beta* it is by definition lacking stuff, and the %to finish numbers were suposedly estimates. If U don't like it, then don't play it. End of story.

Warlockracy haven't fully explored the world of Fo:Y if he did, He'd knew there are quests implemented beyonnd tibbets, and ones that even form a story partially, but the game's worldmap is so vastly large it's easy to get confused.. anyways there are some annoying bugs in Fo:Y that even I've paused the playtesting and shelved this title for the time beeing. I can't blame Warlockracy for beeing dissapointed, as the game in it's current state is a bit overhyped.. but He shouldn't make official public YT statement about stuff that is not a fully finished full featured product.. He could do a non-commentary let's play, but otherwise he should stfu, instead of ruining hexer's work..

Last edited:
It's not legit criticism when he's mostly complaining about things related to the game's engine. We're not changing the engine.
I'm sorry but he's not the target audience. The target audience are gamers who think Fallout 1 and 2 are the best.

Like many others in the early 2000s we don't care for the original Van Buren engine. We thought back in the day it was adding controversial mechanics and was too colorful. We still think the same.

If he wants a modern looking Van Buren he has FNV, F76, and Horizon Zero Dawn. All three games ripped off loads from Van Buren's source material. Go ask MCA, Emil Pagliarulo and John Gonzalez what they have to say on that. Alternatively, there's Adam's project and Revelation Blues. The design docs are out there, anyone's free to roll up their sleeves and make their own Van Buren. When the game gets done it will be released publicly. What happens in the meantime is between us and our hardcore supporters from now on. This whole weekend has already been lost on the internet drama instead on making development progress. That's not how it's gonna work.

I think this is and Mr.Stalin freaking out is a part of this weird modern Russian pre war strategy, part of the hybrid war they're now waging, It might be about converting as many as they can to their point of view, to form future allies. As if it would somehow magically change our minds to the Russian point of wiev, just because we like Fallout. They now pretend to be the sole classic fallout content creators. While they do contribute a whole lion's share of the content, it's not true they made it all, while it would sadden me to see it gone, it won't magically change my mind to all of a sudden love Putin to have the content back.. I'm a Pole, I know the taste of Russian boot on my Country's face, while they were occupying & milking My country dry for 45 years since the end of WWII. It's not so easy to forget such stuff. While Western civilization evolved so did their mindset, however Russians haven't grew mentally since the cold war, even by a fucking milimeter.. they're still crazed about how mighty their country is, and live with various dreams of power-creep-trips... Just in case be carefull with those guys.. as currently all their acounts are either run by GRU/FSB ( the new reformed KGB), or they do retain their accounts and GRU/FSB agent is behind their back witha gun at point blank telling them what to write :p
I couldn't find the timeframe where warlockracy insults you but he does quote you in his olympus video. To be fair, stuff like this should be quoted in a video intended to entertain people.

I couldn't find the timeframe where warlockracy insults you but he does quote you in his olympus video. To be fair, stuff like this should be quoted in a video intended to entertain people.

Fuck off

Especially the text about t-rex mode a.k.a screwed heavyweightlifters was needed as fuck.. that text was an outright insult.. a one even requiring a duel to settle.. I already let it go.. because it ain't worth to bother on such a idiot, besides he's like vapourware I can't find him anywhere physically to beat the shit out of him, as that's the ony way among russians to gain respect to beat everyone around you to show You're the boss, it's been like that since at least tsaris katarina, so it's best to save my nerves and not waste any more time on this fucker, as I won't find him anyways..

Especially the text about t-rex mode a.k.a screwed heavyweightlifters was needed as fuck.. that text was an outright insult..
Not really, it's a bit of fun trivia completely unrelated to you or the mod, warlockracy does that pretty often. One of the reasons why the quality of his content dropped is because he doesn't do that enough. His best video is about stalker and a big chunk of it is about real events in Ukraine.
the ony way among russians to gain respect to beat everyone around you to show You're the boss […] I won't find him anyways..
A lot of people didn't like his fallout related content, they complained about his sonora video too. You could get in contact with them and arrange a team deathmatch.

You could get in contact with them and arrange a team deathmatch.

I Never ment "them" only "him" the little smirky wiseass, with a too wide mouth, I as for the rest of the russians I stand by what one of our politicians say.. I love Russian Nation.. However the further they are from us.. the better..
I don't play team deathmatches or any FPS stupid ass games for that matter.. I rather thought about beating him up on a ring in real life. Anyways, that is in the past now, not going to bother looking for him. period.

Holy shit this is amazing, I need to grab some popcorn

Don't get your hopes up.. I'm not intending into escalating this quarrel. as for the newbie.. I think @TorontoReign or anyone else of staff members should look at this conversation. All that this newly registered two post guy is doing.. is only stirring up trouble and starting quarellsome arguments.. perhaps some forum members made alt acounts or Warlockracy himslef made an appearance,under disquise.. anyways it's called trolling.. frankly i don't give a damn.. but perhaps staff members are going to do something about him..

All that this newly registered two post guy is doing.. is only stirring up trouble and starting quarellsome arguments..
I'm sorry that I upset you so much by poking fun at your russophobic rant and then your intention to inflict psychical harm upon someone. In any case, you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Nobody insulted you, a lot of the criticisms given in the video are justified, and it's definitely not a part of Russian hybrid war against humanity. I fully support the developer's choice to make the beta closed and I legitimately think that out of all VB project this one has the best chance to reach a full release. But as it stands, I agree with a lot of the things warlockracy said in his video.

Back