Favorite books / What are you reading?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Snackpack, Jun 21, 2008.

1. mobucks

mobucks i get such a kick out of myself Orderite

May 22, 2010
    Empty09:
    Call of the Wild or White Fang to get you into Jack London if you like nature/survival stuff, then The Sea Wolf (best) and Campfire Stories are also great. Really, for me, his writing is sublime, I like to think, he is my Shakespear, since i will likely never read any.

For more depressing reading about how fucked we all are:

Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins

Or my old fave.

Behold A Pale Horse by Bill Cooper

http://www.amazon.com/Behold-Pale-H...1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1285290395&sr=1-1-spell

All that conspericy shit i eat it up i love it. hah.

2. SkuLL

SkuLL Chad McRealman Orderite

Sep 6, 2009
    I heard a lot about this book. Is it well-written? I was tempted to get it the other day...

There's also a similar one about pharmaceuticals and the exploitation of the Amazon, but I've never been able to find that.

3. mobucks

May 22, 2010
    TBH i don't know much about economics so it was kinda hard to get through for me. Some chapters were easier than others. I recommend it just to help spread awareness about the insane bullshit these greedy people are doing around the world. "My" people. It disgusts me.

4. John B.

John B. Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Sep 24, 2010
    I just finished algebra I&II A colection for those in the know it's a little bit odd in its presentation.

5. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf eaten by a grue.

Aug 28, 2005
    Shakespeare's comedies done well can be very, very funny. The character Bottom in Midsummer Night's Dream is a great example.

6. MutantScalper

MutantScalper Dogmeat

Nov 22, 2009
    Guests of the Ayatollah by Mark Bowden. Pretty good research into the subject by Bowden but is overall pretty biased.

7. [PCE]el_Prez

[PCE]el_Prez Vault Fossil

Apr 25, 2003
    I have a long commute to work and have started listening to books on tape. I go through them really fast and books on CD are expensive so i started getting them through local libraries. Over the last couple months I've listen to:

I'm currently listening to:

I finished this over the summer, pretty damn good

8. iii

iii Vault Dweller

Oct 10, 2005
    Just re-read Malevil by Robert Merle... A must read if you are into post-nuclear literature.

I am currently craving for a new post-apoc/post-nuclear/dystopian fix... any recomendations besides the usual suspects (Phillip K. Dick, The Road, Brave New world... etc.)?

9. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf eaten by a grue.

Aug 28, 2005
    Have you read Stephen King's Dark Tower series? The first one (The Gunslinger, if I remember correctly) is excellent.

I've started on As You Like It, since I have a compilation of four Shakespeare comedies.

10. SkuLL

SkuLL Chad McRealman Orderite

Sep 6, 2009
    Also, The Stand, the long (original) version satisfied my post-apocalyptic cravings.

Larry Niven's Lucifer's Hammer is still an unshakable number one post-apocalyptic novel for me.

On another note, finished Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. Rubbish. Easily Brown's worst book.

11. WillisPDunlevey

WillisPDunlevey Mildly Dipped

Feb 2, 2010
    I just finished Boneshaker. It was pretty good.

The one thing I did not like was the authors attempt to put lots of trendy stuff in one book in order to try and win prizes.

Steampunk, Airships, Zombies....

The zombies were not too annoying though since they did not end up being the focus of the book..

WPD

12. Bal-Sagoth

Bal-Sagoth Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Nov 1, 2008
    Speaking of The Stand, anyone else following the Marvel comic adaption? So far they have released three graphic novelish collections of them. Captain Trips, American Nightmares, and Soul Survivors.

I am enjoying them thoroughly.

13. John B.

Sep 24, 2010
    Wow, I just finished reading the script for "A Shoggoth on the Roof", and man, this is some great stuff, I'm going to try and see if I can't talk the local theater into doing a production of it.

14. Bal-Sagoth

Bal-Sagoth Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Nov 1, 2008
    Good luck with that, it does not exactly have the best performance record due to its murky legality.

15. John B.

Sep 24, 2010
    Nature finds a way.

16. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    Nearing the end of Ernst Jünger's Storm Of Steel.

It was pretty good. A lot of totally unexpected things to be learnt about the first world war.

17. [PCE]el_Prez

[PCE]el_Prez Vault Fossil

Apr 25, 2003
    Almost done with this:

18. Nuka-X

Nuka-X It Wandered In From the Wastes

Oct 9, 2010
    Finished Deathly Hallows, reading the first Harry Potter now because it's my favorite of the whole series.

19. smilodom

smilodom Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Apr 17, 2008
    Just thinking about buying the biography of "Keith Richards".
    What do you think...?

20. mobucks

May 22, 2010
    Reading "The Fighters" by Colin Willock

Its like a sophomoric "gone with the wind" for WWII fighter pilots. I really am enjoying it.

It almost makes me think the fall of the Reich was devine intervention. I did not know the Me-262 (first fighter JET! 150MPH faster than anything the allies had) sat as a prototype for 2 years before production was even considered, and even then Hitler wanted to make it a bomber.

We can all thank Hitler for being a maniac that murdered his good generals and promoted his stupid ones. Had he not been such a horrible tactician, we all might be speaking German these days.