Favorite books / What are you reading?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Snackpack, Jun 21, 2008.

1. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    "Betrayer of Worlds" by Larry Niven and Edward Lerner.

Fourth part of the series.
    While I like Niven's Known Space and the Puppeteers I honestly hope they will do something different if there is ever another Known Space book or story.

Also do not like this retcon.

[spoiler:9633fe5398]Louis Wu is recruited by Nessus to prevent a Puppeteer war with another species before Ringworld.[/spoiler:9633fe5398]

2. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf eaten by a grue.

Aug 28, 2005
    I've finished As You Like It and moved on to Twelfth Night.

The book is a four-comedy compilation that ends with The Tempest.

3. [PCE]el_Prez

[PCE]el_Prez Vault Fossil

Apr 25, 2003
    Just started this:

and this:

4. MutantScalper

MutantScalper Dogmeat

Nov 22, 2009
    In Harm's Way - The Sinking of the USS Indianapolis by Doug Stanton. Just started, seems good.

5. UniversalWolf

Aug 28, 2005
    Not exactly a happy ending to that one.

6. MutantScalper

MutantScalper Dogmeat

Nov 22, 2009
    [spoiler:164c921038]Well, not all of the USS Indianapolis crew died, 317 of 1196 did survive. [/spoiler:164c921038]

The descriptions of the delivery of the Little Boy atom bomb was quite interesting too, didn't know that it was a secret until Truman announced what it was after it had been delivered to Tinian. I wonder if the crew sort of guessed what it was though, I mean they probably knew that it had something to do with the war effort.

A good read anyway.

7. shadybob

shadybob First time out of the vault

May 15, 2006
    just finished reading Vlad by C.C Humphreys.

now reading war and peace.

8. Cimmerian Nights

Cimmerian Nights So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2004
    [spoiler:c40f64ff5b]It was happy for the sharks. :mrgreen:[/spoiler:c40f64ff5b]

Reading Lem's Solaris. Superb! I like it in tone even better than Tarkovsky's film.

9. UniversalWolf

Aug 28, 2005
    I can't argue with that.

BTW, MutantScalper, if you've never seen Jaws, now would be a good time -- right after reading about the Indianapolis. 8-)

10. MutantScalper

MutantScalper Dogmeat

Nov 22, 2009
    Oh yea, Jaws is one of my favourite movies, back when Spielberg was still making good more-or-less realistic thrillers. Also the real story of the USS Indianapolis would be a more then enough material to base a movie on.

I have actually read the book Jaws by Peter Benchley long time ago, it's pretty good although quite different from the film.

11. Cromlech

Cromlech It Wandered In From the Wastes

Dec 8, 2007
    Running through my WH40K books again. I'm currently on Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn Omnibus for the second time.

12. AskWazzup

AskWazzup Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Aug 21, 2008
  13. mobucks

mobucks i get such a kick out of myself Orderite

May 22, 2010
    nice, the year i was born. An excellent read and also a pretty damn good movie.

14. DasCryborg

DasCryborg It Wandered In From the Wastes

Nov 2, 2010
    If you are into SCI-FI then Check out the Deathsalker books, if you are into Fantasy then check out anything by David Gemmel or the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. Song of Ice and Fire series, in my opinion, is the best Fantasy series ever written.

15. John B.

John B. Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Sep 24, 2010
    interesting read.

16. DasCryborg

DasCryborg It Wandered In From the Wastes

Nov 2, 2010
    I am probably going to end up rereading The Stones of Power series by David Gemmel, they make me wet my pants in excitement ... *looks around the room* ... j/k?

17. SkuLL

SkuLL Chad McRealman Orderite

Sep 6, 2009
    Reading Thunderhead by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. One of their better ones, Relic being the best.

18. Black Feather

Black Feather Mildly Dipped

Nov 10, 2010

Ordered this because i enjoyed the movie(s) (Gettysburg/Gods & Generals)

19. Cimmerian Nights

Cimmerian Nights So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2004
    Killer Angels is a great book - well deserving of the Pullitzer. Avoid the sequels by the son like the plague.

Now reading With the Old Breed - E. B. Sledge.
    Fucking brutal, outside of Stalingrad, I can't think of two combatants who brought the worst out in humanity more than the Japanese and the USMC did in each other.

20. mobucks

mobucks i get such a kick out of myself Orderite

May 22, 2010
    Tales Of The Dying Earth

by Jack Vance

pretty good fantasy short stories. Just kinda picked it up in bookstore and I think i found a gem.