Final Fantasy XV

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by AgentBJ09, Nov 30, 2016.

1. AgentBJ09

AgentBJ09 Vault Dweller

Jul 9, 2015
    Been playing it for a few hours, and despite not being a fan or newcomer, I'm really liking this game.

- World Exploration and side activities play into each character, so one is the cook, the photographer, etc.
    - The skill unlocking system takes the few good parts of XIII's system and marries them with the old Sphere Grid style of X.
    - The dialogue has choices that rewards certain actions, and asking friends is always there.
    - In battle, achieving challenges means more skill points and XP.
    - The fighting is smooth and fun, with just enough mechanics to keep from being overwhelming, and there's a Wait function that puts freeze time to use, and VATS to shame.
    - The open world looks vast, but so far seems pretty empty, though you'll start in a Mojave Desert type of place so we'll see what later areas bring.

Square Enix certainly learned a few things from western devs, and the Kingdom Hearts series, and I'd wager the absolute abysmal gameplay/production goals of XIII and its sequels.

2. TorontoReign

TorontoReign Level 27 Wizard Staff Member Moderator

Apr 1, 2005
    About to pick this up after I go to the doctor. Will leave impressions later.

3. AgentBJ09

AgentBJ09 Vault Dweller

Jul 9, 2015
    Expect a 10 GIG patch when you do. Took all day to get it for me.

4. TorontoReign

Apr 1, 2005
    Yep that sucks. Wish I could preload the patch before buying it.

5. Millim

Millim Half-way Through My Half-life
    Orderite

Oct 13, 2010
    I'll bet it eventually.
    I'm a huge fan of the series (and one of the very few to actually like FFXIII), so I'll certainly play through it. Already played the demo and was very impressed.

6. Radiosity

Radiosity Writiosity

Sep 9, 2015
    If this was Steam that wouldn't be an issue. But given Sony's godawful servers that can STILL barely push 500kb/s to 1MB/s at best... yeah, that ain't going to be fun. I'm just going to wait for the eventual Steam release anyway, got plenty of occupy me for the next year.

7. TorontoReign

Apr 1, 2005
    Now downloading 9 gigabyte patch. For a minute I thought my godawful internet had been drastically sped up, but it was just loading the patch. Shit. It has now become common to have 9 gigabyte patches day one.

8. Vergil

Vergil Banned

Jul 8, 2014
    Is there any arousing homo-eroticism?

9. AgentBJ09

AgentBJ09 Vault Dweller

Jul 9, 2015
    No. The four male protags is as far as that goes, and even the most goofy of the bunch doesn't give that impression.

Because gamers don't speak up enough and refuse to buy games from companies that do this on habit.

10. Vergil

Vergil Banned

Jul 8, 2014
    Dropped.

11. CerberusGate

CerberusGate I should save my game in a whole new slot

Jun 6, 2016
    Hmm... I may check it out though from what I've read and heard, the second half of the game has issues that bog down the experience. The open world for this game, I hear, is pretty good though so that's something to consider.

12. TorontoReign

Apr 1, 2005
    They went open world so it sounds better than 13 off the bat. It does sound like they may have rushed the last part, and they may be trying to spread it out for the Season Pass. Someone mentioned multiplayer being added in....keep that shit in 14.

Hey 14 hours left. Yay third world quality internet.

13. CerberusGate

Jun 6, 2016
    The funny thing is, from what I have read, FFXV seems to be a reverse of 13. Big wide open sandbox filled with activities before being forced down a corridor for story. Though to XV's credit from what I have heard, apparently it is possible to return to the sandbox during the corridor half of the story.

Ew... no. All I've heard is that they are making DLCs so that you can play as characters other than Noctis (like Stell- I mean, Luna) [Yes, I am still a little miffed that Stella got cut out of the game plus
    Luna, as I predicted, wound up becoming a very one dimensional token sacrificial love interest character that does not really play an important role in the story

Also, did anyone get to check out their token VR game?

14. TorontoReign

Apr 1, 2005
    I did here it is like a reverse 13, which makes sense anyway as a game winds down. With it being around a 20 to 30 hour main quest I'll actually beat the damn thing too.

15. CerberusGate

Jun 6, 2016
    I think it's more like a Versus XIII.

I'll go to the corner now.

16. TorontoReign

Apr 1, 2005
    From what I hear parts of Versus are apparent.

17. zegh8578

zegh8578 Keeper of the trout Orderite

Mar 11, 2012
    I only ever played FFIX ages ago, loved it, didn't get to finish it (not my playstation)
    I'm downloading XV now, I've always been curious of FF games, but always were of the PC MR

The only other PS exclusive I am eagerly awaiting is Gran Turismo. It's probably the 6th time I mention this now, without any acknowledgement whatsoever, so
    WTF IS WRONG W YOU PEOPLE WHY ARENT YOU AGREEING ABOUT GRAN TURISMO BEING WAIT WORTHY!?!?!?

18. hogsy

hogsy First time out of the vault

Dec 1, 2016
    Had this on pre-order and been enjoying it so far, since I got a physical copy I was able to play it unpatched.

One sidequest bugged out on me but I was able to complete it a different way luckily. Was one of the first quests you get in the game, my memory is awful so I don't recall it's name.

Besides that I don't have any complaints. I can see why the patch included some additional cutscenes because if you haven't watched the film then some parts of it probably wouldn't make any sense.

19. Radiosity

Radiosity Writiosity

Sep 9, 2015
    After 5, I can't honestly agree with that. The standard cars ported more or less verbatim from 4 killed most of my enthusiasm for it, never bought 6 as a result.

20. zegh8578

zegh8578 Keeper of the trout Orderite

Mar 11, 2012
    To be honest, I only ever played GT2, but I really liked it, and have missed the franchise ever since, which is why I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment, cus I can finally play it again