First round of Fallout 4 Reviews

Kilus

Not Australian
Orderite
Gamespot 9

Peter Brown said:
Fallout 4 is the story of the "perfect" vs the "imperfect,” where your decisions influence the victories and tragedies of not just the two overarching groups, but all of the smaller ones that get caught in the middle. Picking sides and doing favors is, at first, about finding your son, but it becomes more complicated as time passes. It's not as simple as choosing between the right and wrong thing; you are almost always sacrificing something, and the decisions get harder over time.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/fallout-4-review/1900-6416306/

Destructoid 7.5

Chris Carter said:
Without spoiling anything further, the main narrative is generally weaker than most of the side storylines, which isn't anything particularly new with Fallout. Players will start off doing odd jobs for various wastelanders, recruiting new companions and making enemies along the way, with a few twists and turns at the tale's midpoint. Eventually, you'll come across forms of synthetic life, which serves as the crux of a core piece of the story. Again, Bethesda's writing team never fully commits to this concept, and it's kind of just there, with a few "gotcha" moments meant to elicit a response with mixed results. For those who are curious, yes, faction-divergent storylines and endings are possible.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-fallout-4-318096.phtml

IGN 9.5

Dan Stapleton said:
Most of the way this huge roleplaying-shooter game works is carried over from its excellent predecessors, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. It is the Skyrim to Fallout 3’s Oblivion, if you will – it iterates on the previous game’s already amazing systems, and it’s similarly dense with locations to explore, genuinely creepy monsters to fight, and superbly engrossing post-nuclear atmosphere that blends unsettling gore and death with dark comedy.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11/09/fallout-4-review

Polygon 9.5

Arthur Gies said:
Its user interface is often too opaque, and at times Fallout 4 has some of the same technical issues as Bethesda's previous games, from strange AI quirks to performance hitches and actual hard locks of the software. It's frequently unforgiving. And occasionally, despite a next-gen visual overhaul, its human characters still look a little terrifying. I'm not nearly as big a fan of the Diamond City radio DJ as I was of Three Dog in Fallout 3.
If the glitches that have come to exist like David Foster Wallace footnotes on every Bethesda open-world release have infuriated you beyond all reason, have ruined your ability to take any joy in its games, you may want to exercise caution. Multiple editors experienced full game freezes, though thankfully without the console locking up in turn using pre-release copies of Fallout 4. I found myself stuck on geometry a couple of times when I jumped somewhere I very clearly wasn't supposed to be. Anecdotally, the also game seemed to perform slightly worse over time, and benefited from a restart every now and again.
All of that was great, but it's not where I wanted to spend most of my time. Fallout 4 continues the series' impressively effective apocalypse tourism. My favorite times in Fallout 4 felt like an archaeological expedition through an alternate history. The Commonwealth, like the Capital Wasteland before it, is a character all on its own, full of black humor and tragedy. There are so many stories everywhere, whether in Bethesda's macabre but impeccable set dressing or in more fleshed-out incidents that feel like nothing so much as post-nuclear ghost stories. Fallout 4 feels like wandering through a giant, haunted city, and I want to know every secret it has.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/9/9648824/fallout-4-review-xbox-one-PS4-PC

PC Gamer 88

Phil Savage said:
For me, this has been Fallout 4. It's a highly customisable RPG in a world that's packed full of things to do. Its systems are intricate, and invite you to tailor them to your liking. When you do, it can be wonderfully satisfying, but also—in the sense that you can be a huge stealth machine carrying an antique, irradiated sword—a little bit dumb. Fallout 4 wilfully trades immersion for an enjoyable, freeform sandbox of possibilities. Whether you'll enjoy it or not, I think, depends on your reaction to the description above. Does it sound like an infuriating, dissonant mess, or the cool, emergent intersection of player-driven decisions. I'm in the latter camp.

http://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-4-review/

Shacknews 8

Steve Watts said:
Fallout 4 is exactly and precisely more Fallout. Its couple of new gameplay elements are well-executed and enrich the experience, but they don't make this feel especially different than the Wasteland we were exploring almost a decade ago. If you enter looking for a heaping helping of the Fallout action you already enjoy, and an enthralling romp through a newly realized portion of the Wasteland, this certainly fits the bill. Just don't hope for another revolution, because like war, the Wasteland apparently never changes.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/92077/fallout-4-review-war-only-slightly-changes

The Escapist 4.5/5

Conrad Zimmerman said:
In the simplest terms, the new Perks system reduces the process of character leveling to a simple action, instead of calculating out individual point values for a range of available skills as was done in prior Fallout titles. But the choice isn't less overwhelming at the outset, seeing as the first selection comes from a list of nearly thirty options. Worse, the ability to increase attributes undermines the significance of SPECIAL as a system that defines the range and limitations of a character.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...4-Review-Bethesda-s-Open-World-RPG-Apocalypse

Last edited:
This is not surprising. Also, is it just me but does it sound like that the ones who are giving this game 9 and 10's are making excuses for it? Also, good for Destructoid for not being a marketing and hype whore for Bethesda. This IS going to be like Skyrim all over again. Funny how history repeats itself.

Last edited:
This is not surprising. Also, is it just me but does it sound like that the ones who are giving this game 9 and 10's are making excuses for it?

Definitely the Polygon review, how can it refer to so many faults and still give it a 9.5?

Also, good for Destructoid for not being a marketing and hype whore for Bethesda. This IS going to be like Skyrim all over again. Funny how history repeats itself.

Bethesda, Bethesda Never Changes

Oh how I remember when Mass Effect 3 was getting near perfect scores and was deemed a "masterpiece" by nearly every "professional" critic only for the user score to tear apart the game. I have a feeling that this is going to happen with Fallout 4.

Yeah, wasn't too surprised by this.

A lot of high review scores followed by lots of writing about how things aren't amazing.

It's the whole "sum is more than the value of its parts" argument.

This is why I hate the concept of review scores.

Scores are meaningless aside from an easy way to bypass actual thinking and give fanboys a supposedly objective method for smacking each other with their e-dongs.

No perfect scores of 10 from the more reputable sites, because this is not a perfect game.

Ahah. Hahahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Check this shit out.

From Jim Sterling's review

"What I love most about the companionship of Fallout 4 is the fact that, yes, you can pursue multiple romantic partnerships and the game totally allows it. You’re not locked into a single relationship, and can actually maintain more than one without getting judged or upsetting anybody. This is certainly the first game I’ve seen – and arguably the first mainstream one overall – that simply allows for polyamorous relationships without making a big deal about it."

Is anyone surprised? Anyone at all?

Sounds like old Jim has never heard of a little game called The Sims. Especially The Sims 3.

Check this shit out.

"What I love most about the companionship of Fallout 4 is the fact that, yes, you can pursue multiple romantic partnerships and the game totally allows it. You’re not locked into a single relationship, and can actually maintain more than one without getting judged or upsetting anybody. This is certainly the first game I’ve seen – and arguably the first mainstream one overall – that simply allows for polyamorous relationships without making a big deal about it."

Wow... Jimmy boy may need to seek psychological help or join a polygamist cult.

Check this shit out.

Take a fault and make it a feature - great success!

Check this shit out.

Take a fault and make it a feature - great success!

Ah I think that's just reveling in the absurdity of such a game mechanic is all. Though I'll be steering clear of such a silly thing, for obviously this is not a game that treats romantic relations with the seriousness that they deserve.

Sounds like old Jim has never heard of a little game called The Sims. Especially The Sims 3.

Didn't Sims get upset when they caught you cheating?

3 has two perks you can buy with lifetime happiness points: No jealously - this Sim's partners won't get jealous and stone hearted this Sim won't get jealous any more. You can make a huge polyamorous chain with multiple layers if that's your thing in The Sims 3.

I mean big tangent but it's kinda amazing GTA gets so much flak with the kind of thing you can do in The Sims and it marketed to kids.

Back