First round of Fallout 4 Reviews

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Kilus, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Linvite

Linvite First time out of the vault

Apr 22, 2009
  2. Earth

Earth Vault Senior Citizen

Apr 7, 2013
    Obsidian missed out on their bonus because their ratings were too low right? And the reasons for why they got a lower Metacritic rating was because it was too similar to Fallout 3 and because it was very buggy and crashed a lot, right?

Now here's Fallout 4, which a lot of actual reviewers themselves are describing as Skyrim-with-guns and very similar to Fallout 3, and reviewers all over are saying how they experienced numerous bugs and glitches, with very powerful computers that can handle the game's specs crashing? And the game gets 9/10 scores?

All I can say is, I smell a rat.

• [Like] [Like] x 18
  3. RangerBoo

RangerBoo Little lady with the mouth of a sailor

Jun 15, 2015
    Again, no. I don't hate out of ignorance. For the longest time I have stated that Fallout 4 will be like Skyrim. A dumb but fun game with very, very watered downed RPG mechanics with tons of bugs on launch and right know it looks like my predictions were correct. Not only that but we have reviewers praising the game for its glitches. That is just wrong. "Hey people. Go and waste money on this broken product that may break your computer! Its worth every cent!"

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  4. Proletären

Proletären A Smooth-Skin

Mar 15, 2012
    All reviewers should get fired! They obviously know nothing about games in general and RPG:s in particular. If you give Fo4 more than 6/10 you are an idiot and clearly show how little you know about what defines a good game.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  5. Earth

Apr 7, 2013
    Depressingly, I've met some people who've pre-ordered the game because they want to experience the Wild West of bugs and glitches on day one before patches start fixing it.

6. RangerBoo

Jun 15, 2015
    Well if they're studying game design for college then it would be a good lesson on how NOT to release a game on launch.

• [Like] [Like] x 5
  7. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti I know what I'm doing

Oct 6, 2015
    Then again, some people find that shit to be endearing.

8. phipboy

phipboy Newly elected overseer

Oct 2, 2015
    So basically just as expected. Now it's just a waiting game to see just how dumb the game actually is.

9. D Borous

D Borous It Wandered In From the Wastes

Nov 2, 2015
    For the record, my worst experience with the bugs in a game happened with none other than... Fallout; New Vegas. My first playthrough with that game was horrible on account of the bugs;at one point I to reload an eariler save and lost a considerable amount of hours. And yet despite that, over the years and subsequent playthroughs, it's become one of my most cherished experiences game.

Could a similar thing happen here; could Fallout 4 have some very unforgiving bugs and crashes, but could its positives actually be worthy enough for it to be considered a great game, in spite of such faults.

10. generalissimofurioso

generalissimofurioso The Hole Time Orderite

Jun 17, 2007
    • [Like] [Like] x 8
  11. RangerBoo

Jun 15, 2015
    Reading is too hard and causes trouble!

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  12. Joshua

Joshua Hate Newspapers

Nov 5, 2015
    It is true that a game can be amazing, in spite of its bugs and crashes. I certainly agree with you about that over New Vegas.

However its still odd how many of the reviewers mention all of the faults and bugs, but without it seeming to affect their scoring of the game. Its hard to find, in the reviewers, the sort of reasoning that you suggest e.g. "it crashes a lot, but its worth it for x, y and z".

13. AskWazzup

AskWazzup Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Aug 21, 2008
    I feel that RangeBoo and Walpknut need yoga and meditation in their lives.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  14. generalissimofurioso

generalissimofurioso The Hole Time Orderite

Jun 17, 2007
    What's funny is that he brings up an actual gripe I have with the opening.

You spend like five minutes with your family, you don't gain any actual connection to your wife/husband or son.

Then you're a popsicle and all of a sudden the game wants you to be all like "MY KID, MY KID! I'LL KILL YOU FOR MY KID!"

But then it goes downhill pretty damn quickly.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  15. Earth

Apr 7, 2013
    "Blank books are better for the mind, Citizen! Real science by real men in lab coats has proved that introducing outside thoughts confuses the brain!"

• [Like] [Like] x 4
  16. AnchorsAweigh

AnchorsAweigh First time out of the vault

Oct 7, 2012
    The complete lack of integrity of the main gaming publications is hardly surprising.

What I would like to know, though, is if it is true that the game's EULA specifically prohibits the use of script extenders and such. I've read rumors about it in some places, but I haven't seen any hard confirmation. Is it true? If so, it would be a further measure taken by Bethesda to stick it to the existing modding scene in an attempt to make their coming payed modding more successful. Basically all the major popular mods for FO3, FNV and Skyrim uses script extenders, but since Bethesda's vision is selling simple mods that are installed with a single mouse click, it's easy to see why they actively would try to stop more involved mods, which you won't be able to get from Bethesda.net or wherever, from becoming big and popular.

17. RangerBoo

Jun 15, 2015
    Haha! I do actually do meditation! It just I can't stand the double standards that is seen with so many game "critics". That and that this week is going to be rough with the fanboys and critics giving them the fuel they need for their fire. Need to mentally prepare myself. Its funny that these critics praise Skyrim and Fallout 4 for being a bugfest but with New Vegas they then suddenly cared about bugs and glitches.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  18. Chromevod

Chromevod Nope.

May 25, 2011
    The Gamespot review at least brought up the gripe with the dialogue that the 1-2 word options left the reviewer surprised with what the character said, and he didn't like that. Sang its praises otherwise though. I don't know, he brought up a fair amount of the problems he had with the game but went with the idea it didn't bring the game as a whole down that much. With his tone, it even felt like he wanted to give it a lower score than he did at the end.

19. Proletären

Proletären A Smooth-Skin

Mar 15, 2012
    This!

20. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti I know what I'm doing

Oct 6, 2015
    I too had to endure some of the worst bugs ever encountered in a game such as this with Fallout: New Vegas. Like you, I even lost hours of gameplay in one playthrough. Even to this day, I'm still a bit miffed I cannot complete Aba Daba Honeymoon and fool the NCR into thinking I neutralized Motor Runner in Bounty Killer due to a dialogue glitch with the aforementioned Fiend commander never being ironed out properly.

Nevertheless, I stuck with New Vegas though because it more resembled Fallouts 1 and 2 as opposed to 3. I got damn good characters, factions with an interesting dynamic between them, decent story, player agency, choices and consequences, ending slides, and vast replay value that keeps me coming back to the game, again and again, almost six freakin' years later.

If I had to put up with the same horse shit for the shallow experience offered by the likes of Fallout 3, Oblivion, Skyrim, and what appears to be Fallout 4?

I would have turned that game disc into a drink coaster.

But that's just me.

• [Like] [Like] x 5