FO3 or FO: NV?

Which 'un?

• Total voters
.Pixote. said:
I haven't played F3, but surely by now it's been modded to an inch of its life. The modded version can't suck as much as the vanilla version...or is the game beyond salvation?

The problem is, while the mods might fix some balancing issues, alter some of the game's vanilla effects, add some classic Fallout material and such, no mods have or probably can be made to fix the main issue; the bad storyline, the terrible dialog, and the fact that the world in Fallout 3 just doesn't plain work.

There are more raiders than civilians for example, there are no economies other than four random trading caravans and random people out in the wasteland who just stay at one place or wander around but don't seem to do anything like collecting things, farming or anything.
Only the traveling doctor seems to make sense.

Its not that they could have added such stuff as there are plenty of abandoned farms around that could have been turned into working farms.

And the settlements... the less said about them the better.

FO3 for me, I still play it to this day whereas I got rid of New Vegas a long time ago.

NV's biggest problem was it was crippled by bugs for me. It would lock up every playthrough, my guy's arms would be flailing wildly in front of me, people floating in mid-air, etc.

Since I am a post-apocalyptic nut, FO3 just had the right atmosphere and feel. The locations to explore, and the size of the world were better as well.

NV did well with companions, weapons and crafting but I despised the faction/costume system. I always wanted to wear Ranger armor, because it was the coolest but it obviously created issues.

FO3 was more linear, but I was okay with it. Even with more choices in NV, I was supremely bored with it. I couldn't even manage a second playthrough.

I think in general Fallout New Vegas is a lot more stable than Fallout 3 as that game is really buggy from time to time, and I have experienced quite several of them.

Most of the bugs I did run into in NV got pretty quickly fixed with the patches, only problem that is not solved is why NPCs sometimes keep disappearing.

The locations to explore, and the size of the world were better as well.

I tend to disagree, most locations in FO3 were pointless filler, at least most in FNV have at least a quest to go with it.
Yeah there was a lot of space but nothing interesting was done with it.

I always wanted to wear Ranger armor, because it was the coolest but it obviously created issues.

They fixed that in Honest Hearts and Lonesome Road.

I couldn't even manage a second playthrough.

Funny, I have that with FO3 as it attempts to be an epic story telling game rather than a RPG, its linearity is what kills it for me.

To be honest, FNV (Ultimate Edition) crashes a lot more for me as the game progresses, and substantially more than F3 GOTY did, but it's far from unplayable. Patches are out there and most of the bugs have been squished.
If somebody is frustrated with bugs but doesn't want to download patches and fixes, that's beyond me.

If you just don't like the game...to each his own, I guess.

The Dutch Ghost said:
I tend to disagree, most locations in FO3 were pointless filler, at least most in FNV have at least a quest to go with it.
Yeah there was a lot of space but nothing interesting was done with it.

Yeah, gonna have to say places like the Dunwich horror were awesome even without a quest, and then the DLC came and it got a quest.

Forgettable quests don't do it for me.

Also, maybe it's the platform but even after the patches New Vegas was still awful to play for me, never even got to the DLC because of it.

SOOOOOOOOO glad I playd FO3 prior to FNV. Otherwise i would have hated it.

FNV makes me happy like when i got my first issue of New Zork Times.

I would prefer Fallout New Vegas instead of Fallout 3.
Fallout 3 was fun to play i liked the introduction and some parts of the story (father commits suicide to stop the enclave). Compared to Fallout New Vegas it seems to me that Fallout 3 has a better 1920s feeling due to the fact that i dont need all the cowboy stuff in Fallout New Vegas.

But it appears to me that Fallout 3 was a test game to learn how to deal with the whole francize, its not great but it is okay.
Fallout: New Vegas is way better due to the continuation of the Story at the West Coast ( I loved to see the NCR again).
Hopefully Fallout 4 will be good. Id like to see the possibility to join the Enclave.

I think the reason people like FO3 is because it was their first experience with the series.

The game was made long after the originals so the audience was from a generation that had never heard of Fallout before 3 came along. The game was advertised as a post-apocalyptic adventure, and that's what they got. In their minds Fallout is a world struggling to get on its feet after armaggedon. In reality its 200 years later and the world was fairly civilized ( at the most basic definition) 20 years prior. Its completely world breaking to go from cities, to little more than huddled communes.

Of course even given the 200 year stasis the capital apparently got trapped in, it doesn't make up for the rail-roaded plot. Neither for the crappy excuse for exploration that was the random buildings with nothing of value item or plot-wise. It got to the point where after gaining sufficient levels and gear that exploring delapidated building 204 was too much of a chore to go through just to come out with a few stimpacks.

The buildings also make you question why people abandoned their houses mostly intact houses to live on a town built on top of a nuke, or a ship if their houses were in pretty much habitable condition.

maybe because of raiders?..or ghouls..megaton and the ship were pretty well defended from either :P but your point is valid enough why not just build a wall around the hood..and as for fo3 vs Nv..i say burn them both and give me my good ol F2 wooo!

I played Fallout 3 first then I played the first two. I like all of them(1, 2, 3, NV). The first two have a different feel than 3 and NV. 3 and NV are more detailed, but 1 and 2 are more wastelandish.

I prefer New Vegas by far. In fact I can't even seem to go back to the Capital Wasteland after enjoying the great writing and dialogue that Obsidian provides in New Vegas.

The Dutch Ghost said:
Sorry but the Enclave is dead.
Please let it rest and move on to new factions and organizations.

'Tis the truth. Once you've been nuked around 2 or 3 times, had your ass kicked on both shores of the USA, and had all of your tech stolen by the NCR and East Coast BoS, your faction's probably dead.

Also, I'd say New Vegas is the best out of all of them. Whenever I play it, I feel like I'm playing Morrowind (my favorite video game of all time) all over again

If the Enclave comes back they might as well have 3 essential Enclave Troopers that attack you at various through the game with a Talking Deathclaw and everytime you defeat them an explosion effect activates that sends them flying off.

Walpknut said:
If the Enclave comes back they might as well have 3 essential Enclave Troopers that attack you at various through the game with a Talking Deathclaw and everytime you defeat them an explosion effect activates that sends them flying off.

Best. Idea. Ever.

Walpknut said:

Don't you mean two Enclave Troopers, not three?

FNV, definitely. It was definitively closer to classic Fallouts.

But... it too had some lame points.

I know this is 200 years after the war and the world isn't supposed to feel as desolated as before, but... don't you all agree it was more FUN to see it in the state Fallout 1 shown?

Seeing guys in a regular military outfits, working railways and stuff almost made me forget I'm playing Fallout. And the cowboy theme. It felt out of place like New Reno's mobster theme.

Also, two of the best tracks were ommited regularly ("Desert wind" and "Vats of Goo"). What's the point of restoring the FO1 soundtrack if you skip the best, most eerie themes...

BarryMcDingleFace said:
I liked Fallout 3's gameplay. But NV has a better storyline.

3's gameplay was too easy in my opinion, New Vegas made it a little more challenging which I preferred. And yeah, I thought New Vegas' story was better too.

Back