General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by The Commissar, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Per

Per Vault Consort Staff Member Admin

Apr 1, 2004
    Icewind Dale II is OK considering it was a straight-up Black Isle slam dunk. A few areas are well written, others are so clumsily written and designed you'd think it was done by a 15-year-old intern with no QA applied whatsoever. For instance, ubiquitous doorways that are so narrow that every time you try to go to the next room, five of your characters start pathing around to the other side of the map; NPC lines and entire speeches lifted verbatim from some design document that are duplicated several times throughout the game; stupid plot gimmicks that don't fit in the Forgotten Realms setting (as opposed to the BG games, which handle the setting very well); breaking the fourth wall not as an incidental joke but as a narrative convenience; and so on. But for all that, as a whole it's still better than Neverwinter Nights in most respects.

The spell triggers and contingencies aren't cheating in the sense that you can do it as well, if only you take the time and effort. The NPC mages of course have the luxury of having nothing else to do except stand and wait for you to show up.

2. Wastewander

Wastewander It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 6, 2011
    Yeah, I found that kind of strange. It's not like it has any bonuses akin to the Collector's Edition. Which I got, ooh yeeaah, that OST.

Haven't been playing as much Dark Souls as I'd like but I've made some "progress". Haven't even done Sen's Fortress though. I want to level up a bit so I've been grinding and exploring other areas to get items. Went back to the Undead Asylum, which is the tutorial area, and fought the Stray Demon. He's that huge dude that you see when first start the game to your right. Looks exactly the same as the tutorial boss but is a lot tougher. Man, that did he catch by surprise when I first fought him. I managed to beat him after a couple of tries. Finally got my Elite Knight armor set, but it's heavier than I expected so I'll wait till I get more Equip Burden.

3. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    I dunno, stuff like being able to revive one's self from the dead, completely avoid all damage whatsoever, automatically trigger a dozen protection spells at once, and have casting completely non-interruptable all seems like hax0rz to me. Let's also not forget stuff like auras that cause instant death to everyone in the area unless a saving throw is passed every turn, which might exist somewhere in D&D but sure as hell isn't available to the player. There's also, of course, all the auto-triggering Dimension Door abuse that one boss in particular uses in the first Baldur's Gate. I've heard about setting up auto-cast scripts in Infinity Engine games, but have never been able to figure out how to set that up... if I could make my mages instantly party-buffing, cursing, damage-dealing and invulnerable, that would make the game about five times easier.

I also think I've pretty much finished up Heart of Winter in a day. The quality of the expansion is great - interesting plot and dialogues with some neat characters (also, Ron Perlman makes everything better), beautiful and well-designed areas to explore (Lonelywood is far more interesting than Kuldahar to me), and even some minor choice and consequence here and there, plus some side-quests and whatnot that aren't so obvious. I don't think the dungeons are quite as good, though, and save for one or two moments I don't think the encounters are nearly as interesting, just fighting wave after wave of the same monsters over and over down a linear corridor.

I still need to go to the Sea of Moving Ice to finish things up, but it looks like I might be on to Trials of the Luremaster in the meantime, since as I understand it I need to start it from within Heart of Winter itself, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to return once I've finished it.

4. Ilosar

Ilosar Vault Fossil

Apr 20, 2010
    It's what I didn't like at all in Baldur's Gate. Too many impossibly powerful spells/protections which only have a very specific counter, and if you don't know the mechanics and encounters by heart you're toast at higher difficulties. The Ascension mod actually seemed better, the encounters were designed with really hard enemies that can still be beaten rather than cheap ones that you either stomp or die horribly to. Other RPGs may be easier and ''dumbed down'', but I will take a computer that plays reasonably fairly and has abilities similar to the player's before an insanely overpowering encounter design that relies more on DnD knowledge or trial-and-error (or sometimes luck, for save and hits) than any tactical abilities. I found Origins to be a good balance of difficulty and interesting design, myself.

Also, hell yeah, my Polish ally helped me (he has half of Eastern Europe) and the Mongols are being driven off (they seem to respawn their stacks, but both me and my ally have 2 of our own, my computer refuses to spawn all the armies at once due to the sheer lag of thousands of dudes ripping each other apart at once, it's glorious). I had no leader, but won a battle with random units, made a guy General, and he kicked two Mongol armies in the ass. And now I learn that, later, there are the Timurids, basically Mongols with cannons and goddamn elephants. What actually counters an elephant with cannons on it's back?

5. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    Okay, what the fuck? I'm playing Trials of the Luremaster, on the final fight, and I am getting really goddamn tired of this shit. Although Icewind Dale doesn't seem to have much in the way of cheating AI, Trials of the Luremaster is a glaring, and needlessly stupid exception to that rule. I cast Power Word: Silence on enemy mages, for which there is no saving throw, and what happens? They instantly begin casting spells the next round anyway. Wow, fucking great. Let's also not forget their magical ability to debuff my entire party the exact same round that I cast the buffs, that's another fun one (and yes I know that Dispel Magic does that, but seriously, if it's possible to save against it, I sure haven't yet, not even once). Apparently the only way to make this battle challenging was to make the computer blatantly ignore the rules of the game? Fucking annoying bullshit.

6. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    You miss out on a bunch of stuff if you do HoW while doing the main campaign. It's best to finish main campaign, export, then start HoW fresh.

As Per said, once you get your mage to higher levels (and/or get certain items), you can do most/all of that as well. Magic IS "hax0rz".

I wonder if it's just a poor description rather than poor implementation. PW:S per RAW has a fairly short duration for casters around your level, and not 100% chance of landing if they're above your level. You may have simply failed to land the spell, or rolled to apply it for only one round. That's assuming they implemented the spell as in RAW. Alternatively, they might have buffed themselves with vocalize or have the silent spell feat, making your effort to silence them useless.

I've always found it easier to disrupt enemy mages with physical attacks.

Higher difficulties are primarily for repeat players who already know the game, looking for a challenge. It's also not some obscure knowledge as some put it, all it takes is a little attention to game mechanics, and occasionally paying attention to spell descriptions and combat messages. Counters are readily available, and usually not unique for a specific type of protection or attack - with the exception of a small number of high-level spells only used in extra challenge optional encounters.

I don't have a problem with it since it's consistent with the setting (main villain is a mage on steroids, after all); it's also normal to D&D to have mages completely overpowered at higher levels.

7. valcik

valcik So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Dec 20, 2008
    You are right, sea. It's the most stupid final battle I ever seen. Those spectres (or whatever is it) seems to have an infinite spells, plus they are constantly respawning. That's not D&D for me anymore, but some kind of an arcade game. (You need to track the main character and take him down as soon as possible, otherwise it's an endless battle.)

8. Bad_Karma

Bad_Karma Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jun 17, 2007
    Recently bought Blood Bowl the Legendary Edition and playing it now and then...
    It's a really nice game i guess, but it's also a game that starts me to rage, well not really, but nearly. I guess i really dislike the dice mechanics behind the whole thing, but well...

Otherwise it could be simply because i suck a tactics games.

9. PainlessDocM

PainlessDocM Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 5, 2010
    Hehe, I bought that game for myself and a good friend a long time ago because we both used to play the tabletop game in our youth. I'm really pretty terrible at it but I did enjoy the digital version of the game.

10. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    Being playing Costume Quest and just finished both campaigns.
    Thanks for getting me it PainlessDocM.

Perhaps Double Fine should make smaller games like these for a while before trying a big AAA game again.

What was sometimes disappointing that I only managed to collect some costumes at the end of the game, giving me little opportunity to try them out in regular battles.

11. TorontoReign

TorontoReign Level 27 Wizard Staff Member Moderator

Apr 1, 2005

Does it warrant another playthrough?

12. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    Now I have to be honest, while its really fun the first time I am afraid it might be something of a drag the second time once you know how the game basically plays out.

I guess you can get some costumes and items now faster in the game but something you would quickly play through again.
    I would be a liar if I said yes.

More a game you might check after several months again, and then maybe.

13. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    Just Bought Old World Blues, so I am doing that. I am loving the writing a lot. but the combat is pretty hard (specialy with mods) good thign I brought my Paladin Toaster, those robots fucked me up good.

14. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009
    Could you elaborate?

Also.. Just loaded an earlier savegame in IWD. I am in the black temple where you fought that icon, have everything done and am ready. But that priest there refuses to give me the last officers badge to unlock the last room, great. :roll:

15. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    You can upgrade a sword you get at the end of OC, which you can't do unless you export. Might be other minor stuff, it's been a while. Also, afaik, they haven't really done anything to accommodate the extra XP and loot you gain if you do HoW during OC - you'll just make the game too easy.

16. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    Started out with Icewind Dale II and I am loving it. Vastly improved character interaction, for one, with more interesting quests, even though things are still linear. You can progress in a lot of them intuitively (and get extra XP, rewards etc. even after you've "completed" a quest by following up on it), and just choosing to mention something to one NPC can drastically change the outcome (i.e. figuring out the guy who asks you to deliver a letter is a doppelganger). It does break the fourth wall a bit as far as overall tone goes, but I got a bit of a laugh out of dragging the dead cat everywhere and watching NPCs act like I was crazy, and I can appreciate it being a little bit more varied in terms of its focus - the first game was very self-serious even when it shouldn't have been, and kind of dry at times, so this works for me.

The change over to 3rd Edition is also much more drastic than I expected. Already the ability to level up in pretty much any class every level really adds a tremendous amount of versatility to the game, and much more control than standard mutli- and dual-class options. Dunno how I feel about the implementation of feats and whatnot, but it also adds an extra layer of tweaking to character development, which is always good, and from the looks of it there are no "bad" feats, only ones which may be more or less appropriate to your character. I do think that certain attributes are under-used for certain classes (sorcerer has nothing much to boost except charisma, everything else has no real bearing on him), but everything else about it is great and even makes the early game a lot more fun and well balanced. The sheer number of options available looks like it could make replaying a lot more interesting than with the basic AD&D rules in most Infinity Engine games, which basically required you fit certain archetypes.

Going into the first chapter now, hopefully the level of quality keeps up to the prologue's level.

17. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009
    Call me oldfashioned, but I actually prefer the 2nd D&D system IWD I used. :/ I felt a bit overwhelmed by all those feats and, as you say, abilities to give points to different classes at level up, maybe that's just because I am more familiar with the aforementionend system. What IWD II does right however is taking away the need to roll for your character stats, instead you allocate them for yourself. This is much better than clicking and clicking all the time till you get some good stats etc.

As you mention the dead cat - have you met "Ravel" yet? ;) (you've met her in Heart of Winter too..)

Keep us up with your progress however, always good to hear someone talking about older games between all those "next gen" games here. ;)

18. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    IWD2 is one of those games I start up once in a while, enjoy the hell out for the first part and then grow tired of before I get to the end. in my opinion, it's just feels way more repetetive than the first IWD. character creation and developement is much better, and at least in the first part of the game quests and dialogue are a lot better in IWD2, but the story feels even more lame and a while into the game everything just gets boring and monotone. also, you're a lot more dependant on having your characters planned out. the first game could be finished with a more random group but IWD2 gets pretty damn hard and you need a well thought-out group that almost abuses the class and skill system.

but even speaking of it now, I feel an urge to start it up again. I wish I could just finish it once and for all.

19. Serge 13

Serge 13 Cranium Cat oTO Orderite

Jul 20, 2006
    Dead Rising 2 is fun as hell. Still playing it. Those of you who still haven't played it yet might wanna check out dead Rising 2: Off the record. It's basically Dead Rising 2 with a bunch of extras and a different main character(Frank west instead of chuck greene, the hero from the original Dead Rising).

20. TorontoReign

TorontoReign Level 27 Wizard Staff Member Moderator

Apr 1, 2005

It was fun for awhile, but I think I prefer Dead Island.