General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by The Commissar, Mar 30, 2007.

1. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    yeah, I know exactly what you mean. while I have huge respect for JA2, knowing what kind of game it is and having played it a couple of times, I just can't get into it.

if I had played it when I was younger and still had the time and patience to learn how such a game works, it'd be different. but I first tried it only recently and while it's a lot of fun at first, things really felt a bit overwhelming after a while.

gonna try it again someday, maybe with a walkthrough at hand. I know, it's cheating...

2. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    ^It's not cheating it's metagaming ^____^

Anyway, I'm doing an nth replay of TOEE now, sadly the 5.5.0 beta Co8 pack seems to be very buggy atm.

3. Serge 13

Serge 13 Cranium Cat oTO Orderite

Jul 20, 2006
    Still playing GTA IV!
    I must say that it is simply one of the best in the series, i am really enjoying it. the most things i have enjoyed so far:
    The Cabs: The best addition IMO since you don't have to drive to your destination everytime you fail a mission.

The Targeting System: Much improved, the gun play feels a lot better!

What i don't like:

Activities: i really hate it when you are in the middle of the street, waiting for a cab and suddenly one of your friends calls you to go play darts, bowling etc. with him for the 10th time! sure, you can skip it, but it is still annoying and you will lose respect.

Weapon sounds: probably one of the shittiest weapon sounds i have ever heard in a game!
    Seriously, i don't understand why they couldn't put more decent sounds for the weapons. Take Saints Row 2 for example, the gun sounds simply kills GTA IV's.

4. DexterMorgan

DexterMorgan A Smooth-Skin

Aug 6, 2008
    I just finished Silent Hill 4: The Room, using an extensive walkthrough. Somehow not as spooky as previous games. I suspect it's because you get regular glimpses into the normal world, whereas in previous ones I always kept wondering if the entire world has gone to hell.

Overall not bad, not bad at all.

5. Serge 13

Jul 20, 2006
    Started playing MGS 4 and i must say that i am enjoying it!

6. Stag

Stag Guest

It took me a while before I noticed, but if you look through your fone, there's an option to turn on "free mode" or some thing similar and people won't call you until you turn it back on.

7. Serge 13

Jul 20, 2006
    I just finished the game today! :D
    But thanks, i will keep that in mind for my second playthrough! :mrgreen:

8. Multidirectional

Multidirectional Mildly Dipped

Sep 12, 2008
    I can only find "sleep mode" and it stops the story.. There's also a "silent mode" but people will still call you, just without a ringtone.

9. rcorporon

rcorporon So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Orderite

Jan 31, 2008
    MGS 4 is one of the best games I've ever played. It's basically a 20 hour long "Thank You" to MGS fans, and Kojima managed to tie up all the loose ends quite nicely.

10. The Vault Dweller

The Vault Dweller always looking for water.

Aug 24, 2004
    I can't stop playing Dune 2 after only finishing Dune 1 a few days ago.

It's boggling my mind. The sound and graphics are primitive and the controls are so behind it's very taxing to play. Not only am I lacking things like rally-points or hotkeys, but I can't even drag a box to select multiple units at once. I have to put about twice the effort into this game to win as I do the average game...

...yet I'm loving it for reasons I can't explain. Maybe it's, because it was the first RTS and also the first Westwood game both of which I love. You can definitely see the fundamentals of every Westwood franchise in this ancient game.

It's probably just, because I love the Dune Universe.

Also for those who like decent strategy (for an old game) and like some adventure I would suggest Dune 1. Both 1 and 2 are freeware which is how I got them.

Sincerely,
    The Vault Dweller

*EDIT*

I just read that both 1 and 2 are known for their soundtracks. Playing 1 I had no sound and figured that the game was made before sound. Playing 2 I can only get the soundcard to make music which of course sounds like annoying beeps. I've tried all the different sound options in setup too...

11. Serge 13

Jul 20, 2006
    Yeah, the game is sweet alright but the thing is that i have only played MGS 1 & 2 :(
    I only played the begining parts of MGS 3 on my brothers ps2. I was afraid that i would miss something from the story so i just went to gametrailers and checked the MGS retrospective. and after i learned about the story in MGS 3....damn, i wish i had time to play the whole game...the sweetest story ever!

12. rcorporon

rcorporon So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Orderite

Jan 31, 2008
    You'll probably miss a lot of the references / characters in MGS IV then.

I can't suggest getting MGS3 and playing it enough. It's easily my favourite MGS, and you'll gain a whole new appreciation for part 4.

13. Daimyo

Daimyo Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
    Orderite

Oct 26, 2007
    I love them too; I have always been a "builder" in such games, and Dune is very cool for me as it allows you to build walled in bases with turrets etc placed at corners etc - I love a good looking base. :)

(And the whole Dune universe is very cool - read the books, played the games, saw the movies/TV-series)

14. Serge 13

Jul 20, 2006
    well, i did watch the retrospective on gametrailer.com. its a summary of the whole story in mgs3. i just hope that thats enough because i dont have access to ps2 right now.

edit: this is my first post with the ps3 browser. :mrgreen:

15. TheRatKing

TheRatKing Vault Dweller

Oct 7, 2008
    Conway's Game of Life...
    I just programed it in java, and it's really fun to tinker with.

16. The Idiot

The Idiot It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jan 25, 2007
    ADOM and Quake Live. I've got 4 invites for the latter so just PM me if you want one.

17. verwandlung

verwandlung Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jun 26, 2007
    Finished Vampire Bloodlines as a Malkavian, great dialogue options :D

Just installed Quake I (Darkplaces) ,going to play it in Co-op with a good friend should be fun.

(A bit of nostalgia for the old folks...)

18. SimpleMinded

SimpleMinded Vault Fossil

Jun 17, 2003
    I've gotten back into Mario Strikers for the wii with my friend. Two player online is one of the best experiences ever.

19. Serge 13

Jul 20, 2006
    Just finished MGS4 and i must say that i enjoyed every second of it! again it had those moments where my jaw dropped luke this: :jawdrop:

I think i will be going for Battlefield: Bad Company after that!

20. SkynetV4

SkynetV4 Mildly Dipped

Jan 25, 2005
    Replaying Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries here...I had to install it on a Windows XP partition but it was well worth it. I forgot how much I missed a Mech game. Fortunately, it seems like an Ex-FASA exec bought back the Shadowrun, Crimson Skies and Mechwarrior IPs.