History of NMA

Part2 let`s start

SkynetV4 said:
Hmm, I am not ancient.

Yes you are you used to be a Old warrior of the wastes too, in the V3 version i think, what happened, did you loose your password or something? That can be fixed you know.

Joe's Cafe (nasty one, a silly thread about Fallout multiplayer ended up with Rosh dissecting Joe's life (Joe wanted to study military journalism and Rosh suggested he study engineering instead. Joe came back a bit later thanking Rosh (the first case of sodomy where the sodomized thanks the sodomizer)

He was a nice kid in confusing times, he did got back to thank Rosh and Xotor, but they weren`t around at the time. I wonder what happened to him?

Starseeker said:
V13 split after a while because of a deep argument between some older members, and they were not to be talked into changing their minds.

It wasn`t because of the arguments, but they just got tired of moving the place around, and the idea of a major portal for Tactics modders never took off, so they just closed the shop. JC still shows up at #fallout sometimes, i saw Greg at DAC not long ago.

After the host changed, I got a bit lazy, and didn't really try very hard to register. Briosfreak dragged me back, promising veteran treatment, and free dental. I didn't get the free dental, so I am still hanging that over his head. Razz After I came back, life got busy and I got a bit lazy to check the posts. So most of the new members don't really know me. I just lurked most of the time, and only came out for a bit comment and such.

It wasn`t a free dental plan, it was some male sex by Odin :D

LOL I recall the time when welsh and per were still whipper snappers. I recall Rosh speaking Japanese at one time to my utter shock and amazement. I recall having some nice discussion in the fan fic board with the Illuminati ( can't recall if this was a person or a clan of sort). I recall some good discussions about the situation about Taiwan, China and the ASEAN area. I recall the often missed "what new perks would you like to see in FO3" thread. Very Happy The infamous sex addict trait/perk was amusing. I don't recall who said it, but I rememeber those words well, "Cock Rocket! FIRE!"

I already explained what the Illuminati were, besides those discussions i remember you had one that was popular, something called "Cafe of Dreams" i think.

Mr. Bhass was a fun guy, he got back later with a bunch of followers, he once posted a scary pic of him on an arms convention, and confessed his family kept napalm in the basement :shock:

Kotario said:
Don't worry about KCP, it went down it's own path, and to use a trite phrase, for better or worse.

A forum hacked by a former admin isn`t something one sees everyday, that was weird...

Briosafreak...uh...well as Briosafreak is...he does stuff.

Dude i don`t do shit, really :) i sometimes send news for the newspeople, and that`s it. I`ll post the story of my role at NMA later, maybe with some juicy revelations...

Hmmm. Does that perhaps have something to do with the obsessing the followed her posting her picture?

If you think that`s obsessive you should see a few topics started by a girl i don`t remember the nick on the Fallout boards, NMA was really slow, with few posts, then she would ask for help and tens of posts would appear out of nowhere :)

lilfyffedawg said:
I actually posted in the forums back then

Then ask the old warrior of the wastes rank.

There are other guys that were cool, like Caesar and and even before Xerox, i heard something about Xerox in 2003 but i forgot what it was...

Gonzo13 said:
Anyways.... back in those days you could post on the DAC forums without actually registering, which was good since I did not have an e-mail address other than Hotmail. That was the reason I stayed around that old DAC site even after it stopped being updated. Shadowman and Rosh (The Roshambo warrior) were moderators on that site and one day, out of nowhere, Sahdowman asked me why I don't join NMA. I guess he thought I had brains enough to contribute. I told him of my problem and he went and created and account for me and e-mailed me the password. That is how I came to NMA. Blame Shadowman! Too bad he left, he was really cool, nice guy too.

Ask for the rank too, i`m finding many posts from you in the archive, although many were in the times i had to take brakes from here.

That DAC board was ugly as hell, particularly in a small monitor...

silencer said:
I've come here from SHAMO, the Polish Fallout community

The Polish community is the best in the world, in 2003 it had tons of sites all connected to Shamo in a way or another, and i miss my long talks with Kaczor, a very nice guy.

Asmodai said:
Am I even supposed to post here? Whatever. Hug me.

GROUP HUG :D

Kharn said:
The site was PoseidoNet, the revolutionary all-Flash site I mentioned earlier. He didn't so much "have it with" me as he much as he hosted my fanfics there. I'm not sure why I just put my fan-fics there and not on NMA. Friendly service, I guess. PN used to be on VirtualAve, then it moved to f2s, which is where I last saw it.

F2s shut down a few years ago, i know Xotor kept the site stored in a cd-rom somewhere, but no one can find him these days...

Finally Saint_Proverbius made a bunch of interesting posts before he became a DAC/Codex whore :) , so did Old School Role-Player and the Fallout theory crowd, i forgot the name of those guys though. JJ86 made some good fun posts too.

Many devs would check this place, there are many choices that were made about Van Buren that somehow prove that, but they wouldn`t post much. I miss Chris Taylor...

There was a newsguy that was on the job for 15 days then disappeared, that was weird :shock:

If i remember anything else i`ll reply later, together with the replies to lilfyffedawg`s questions.

Briosafreak said:
There are other guys that were cool, like Caesar and and even before Xerox, i heard something about Xerox in 2003 but i forgot what it was...

Xerox was one of the funniest posters in the olden days. He wasn't much of a regular, I think he had one bout of semi-regular posting for a while and then he returned twice, but he always made me laugh. Back in those days, I was a bit less light on the touch then I am now and tended to bash around newbies as hard as Xotor and Rosh did, though with less skill and far less eloquence.

His consistent running joke was making fun of the amount of time I spent on the boards. I think he was the only one poking fun at me back then and definitely the only one who got away with it. I remember one golden thread were he posted and I just happened to be online at that instant. I replied with one minute, I think. "JESUS CHRIST! Do you *LIVE* here?!"

I miss that guy. I wish he would pop back in to make fun of me.

And don't listen to Briosafreak. He does everything*, all he wants is to do hard work**

and man, I wish we had logs of the old WebBBS forums, those would be interested to read back on.

* secretly, Kharn has replaced the word "everything" with "nothing"
** secretly, Kharn has replaced the words "to do hard work" with "a barrel of crabs down the pants"***
*** ah, barrel of crabs

Briosafreak said:
lilfyffedawg said:
I actually posted in the forums back then

Then ask the old warrior of the wastes rank.

Not with this username, or email, nor enough to justify ever being remembered. So's understandable I'd be stuck among the ranks of smoothies :).

And on topic... Sigh, I've got a lot of reading to do, fallen way behind on everyones posts here :).

Briosafreak said:
A forum hacked by a former admin isn`t something one sees everyday, that was weird...

Well, not so much hacked, since he still had Administrator privileges at the time. You are speaking of WerewolfReaper, right? Anyway, he was a mental case. At one time he joined the forums under another handle, Tara I believe, pretending to be a girl (and even logged in on ICQ to talk to under people under this guise). It wasn't an inside joke, he wanted everyone, including Administrators to think the girl was real. And then there was the girlfriends he invented, with everything else, he was really out there. I don't remember why he decided to delete the forums one day, but it was out of the blue; the reasons were most likely unintelligible anyway.

Someone should sticky this.

Maybe put it in the place of that unholy avatar-thread.

Jebus said:
Someone should sticky this.

Maybe put it in the place of that unholy avatar-thread.

Seconded....for both. This is becoming my favorite thread.....until Sin City comes out maybe.

Some really bored admin should cut and paste good parts out of this thread and make a page about it on the main site.

*trumps Jebus. With a bigger idea.*

Some mod should make video interviews with the people who told the best stories, put soppy background music on them, make a video documentary out of it and send it out to all active members on NMA and it's history.

*Completely pwns Dove with the best idea ever*

If it becomes a sticky, it should be in the Website forum.

Also, you could have Steven Spielberg, Brian de Palma and Sergio Leone (undead) direct a segment each and have NINJAS feed the result into every hippocampus on the planet simultaneously by RSS.

*Goes into the meta-realm of idea goodness*

OR you could have it directed by Francis Ford Coppola, Oliver Stone and Roman Polanski and have Al Pacino play Roshambo, Anthony Hopkins play Briosafreak, Bratt Pitt play me, Johny Depp play Odin, Jim Carrey play Kharn and Julia Roberts play you and have it played on a giant video screen mounted on the side of the Himalaya mountain range while having strippers dancing everywhere and the London Phylarmonic Orchestra playing the background music.

*Ascends into heaven at this very moment because the goodness of his ideas has for once and for all proven his true divinity*

Jebus said:
OR you could have it directed by Francis Ford Coppola, Oliver Stone and Roman Polanski and have Al Pacino play Roshambo, Anthony Hopkins play Briosafreak, Julian Clary play me, Johny Depp play Odin, Jim Carrey play Kharn and Julia Roberts play you and have it played on a giant video screen mounted on the side of the Himalaya mountain range while having strippers dancing everywhere and the London Phylarmonic Orchestra playing the background music.
Or you could shut up and let the oldies carry on with the story. :P

Man, Big T,

You so plugged Jebus right up!! :shock:

EDIT:
....but seriously, everyone, please continue with the stories.

I'm surprised that my bullshit detector missed this.

gonzo13 said:
I got into Fallout when it first came out in '97(??). I beat it the first time and then I started re-playing it and trying to find new stuff. That is when I went on the internet to find walkthroughs and such. I first found "duck and cover" at its original site... duckandcover.com. Nobody seems to remember that one... not even Kreegle, but I swear I am not crazy. (I once talked to Kreegle about it and he said he doesn't know anything about it but that it was possible that there was something before he joined since he was not the one who started DAC.) Then that site became the home of some dude's resume and DAC disappeared and moved to.... I don't precisely remember what the site was but it was the one before they got hosted on RPGPlanet.

A lengthy lie, but a lie all the same. DAC's original site was at Turngray.com/fallout/. Then it moved to IplayGames.com, under the domain of Fallout2.net. Duck and Cover was never at duckandcover.com. "William Nagengast III" is also not Jay's real name.

Anyways.... back in those days you could post on the DAC forums without actually registering, which was good since I did not have an e-mail address other than Hotmail. That was the reason I stayed around that old DAC site even after it stopped being updated. Shadowman and Rosh (The Roshambo warrior) were moderators on that site and one day, out of nowhere, Sahdowman asked me why I don't join NMA. I guess he thought I had brains enough to contribute. I told him of my problem and he went and created and account for me and e-mailed me the password. That is how I came to NMA. Blame Shadowman! Too bad he left, he was really cool, nice guy too.

Funny, I don't recall Shadowman being a mod at DAC, ever. I think I would have had OSRP as a mod first.

While I knew of NMA before, it was not until I joined NMA that I found out about Vault 13, and that DAC moved to RPGPlanet. I posted on NMA on ocasion but I went back to DAC and then I discovered V13 which became my favorite one of the three. Man, I miss V13!! That was a great site with a whole bunch of great people running it and on its boards. No offense to anyone here but I thought the V13 forums were somehow more friendly, and just as intelligent without being condescending about it.

Tell me, are any of these lies getting old? V13 was at times a hell of a lot more vicious, particularly towards idiots and pretentious twats like KellyX. There was also a regular and persistent mindless fanboying of FOT on those forums, usually done by people who obviously failed to pass high school, as few of them had any hope of understanding what setting composition was and how it was important for development. They were, of course, educated very soundly and often shot for being morons. :)

The part about mistaken Shadowman for a mod in DAC is ok, he used to have a friendly hello to the noobs and all, so a few guys thought he was a mod there, but the rest is weird Gonzo, your memory is playing tricks on you.

I dunno.... I always admit the possibility that I am wrong...or crazy...but not lying, I have no earthly reason to lie

However Shadowman was the one who initially created an account here at NMA for me. He is the one who gave me the handle of Gonzo13 since that is the e-mail address I used at Hotmail at the time. I don't remember what I signed with at the DAC forums before that, it may have just been my name. I couldn't tell you if Shadowman was actually a mod at DAC, but that is the way I remember it, and that is where he approached me.

As far as that thing about the site of DAC.... I really could swear that I remember typing in duckandcover.com to go to DAC and how surprised I was when after several months of not visiting, one day it led to some guy's resume. I found DAC again using Hotbot. Like I said, I once asked Kreegle about it and he said that he could not say for sure, but that he did not personally know of anything like that existing. However I must admit that it is possible that after several months of not visiting I could have forgotten its address and only THOUGHT it was duckandcover.com. I believe Rosh mentioned fallout2.net.... that could be what I was thinking of, it looked very familiar when I read it in his post, but turngray.com also seems familiar to me as the site I found using Hotbot after .... I really just don't know... :|

Edit:
Oh...sorry, one last thing... V13 was vicious towards morons, but I thought they were also much more selective about who they deemed to be morons. I personally found them to be much more friendly, I never meant everyone should agree with that opinion, it was just my own experience. I am sure the hordes of people who were banned would certainly disagree.

What brought one here, I can't really remember, but I think it was
the classic, looking for a patch, for Fallout.

Since then one is lurking in the modding threads, happily using
the unbelievable work of killap, reading the news,
hoping for divine revenge, for death of Black Isle.

And stranded in this thread in the first way I am,
in the tiny hope, that maybe Briosa continues with some storys. :wink:

Great... A two year old thread where I'm also the Order's Pet Parrot.

I just don't seem to be moving on in my internet-life, here.

This topic really needs to be made a sticky. The person that could post a lot of stories from the old days is JR Jansen, I'll see if I can remember a few in the next days.

Back