How to set CORRECT widescreen resolution for Fallout 2

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Magnus, Jun 8, 2017.

1. miracle.flame

miracle.flame First time out of the vault

Oct 26, 2013
    Yeah, obviously the difference from original is a dive into "terrible". You gotta love Fallout 2... and its heavy dithreing.

2. Buxbaum666

Buxbaum666 Heterostructured Nanorod oTO Orderite

Dec 5, 2003
    There's not more aliasing, the aliased edges stay basically the same, they just stand out a little more because they're not as blurry as the rest.

Areas with more contrast/hard edges are blurred less, which makes them stand out to me:
    smudge3.gif

Might just be me, I generally dislike such enhancements and I usually prefer the look the game originally had.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  3. Risewild

Risewild Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    Not just you, my eyes are very sensitive to anything blurry and I couldn't even look at the screenshots properly in their full size because it just made my eyes bad.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  4. miracle.flame

miracle.flame First time out of the vault

Oct 26, 2013
    Very well, my intention was to receive better alternative on how to deal with the heavy dithering which is a very obvious and very well known issue of the vanilla graphics. My eyes and not mine only are very sensitive to color contrast as a result of grain or dithering and not real detail. The altered syntax of calculation I've come up with in the shader configuration is the best I've calculated not to smudge the details but rather soften the dithering only, meaning the dithering remains but the color contrast caused by the dithering is much softer and not that heavy. I admit the pictures posted here are by themselves blurry overall as the result of compression and whatnot but the kind of difference between before/after state should give you an idea what kind of difference to expect in game....
    if you bother to test it out, that is.

But if the heavy dithering of vanilla graphics is something you wish to preserve unchanged there is no reason for discussion over enhancing this intention.